You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hughjass07

HMS FIJI - Ship Review - Hughbert Jass

25 comments in this topic

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles

Well howdy folks and welcome back to your home port!  Today I’m looking over HMS Fiji, a Tier VII light cruiser of the Royal Navy.  As far as the British light cruisers go, this is the first that I have felt really had a good balance of capabilities, not that the Tier VI Leander was bad, it just wasn’t as good.  In fact all of them up to this point have been a steady progression of improvement over the previous tier, but Fiji is the first that I sail with complete confidence.  Thanks for watching!

• Cool 7

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
9 minutes ago, LCPL4ever said:

I like your format, straight to the point with information. 

Thank you, sir! Yeah, I have always thought that people are doing me a favour by watching, not me doing people a favour by making the content, so I try to make it as efficient as possible, to respect their time, while still giving it some life and colour (that's Canadian for color lol)

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles

Good video mate. Like the format! :cap_like:

BTW “colour” is also the English spelling of the word :)

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles

She's very quick off the mark, all right - what she's definitely NOT quick at is the transition from ahead to astern or vice versa, and this has landed me in some rather horrific trouble sometimes.

Those extra four guns make all the difference, not just in terms of weight of fire but also in terms of salvo density and not letting destroyers slip in between your shell dispersion as the range increases. She does, however, have the weakest torpedo battery of all the British cruisers that receive torpedoes, and at times I miss the torpedo-spewing capabilities of the Emerald (I don't miss Emerald's gun armament, though; not at all impressed there).

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
2,857 posts
4,596 battles

Enjoyed the vid, pretty quick and condensed info. Would just add two things. First of all, more as trivia, the AP fuses on the RN cruisers arm much faster than other nations, minimizing the overpenetrations. Secondly, what I felt was a bit lacking was that there was no mention of recommended Captain skills. You might think about adding a bit of time at the end, describing how you would spec at least a 10 point Commander. Other than that a worth watch. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Fiji is a excellent bote, my most played ship. I have Belfast which is also excellent, but I keep going back to Fiji when fighting mid-tier battles. She just seems to be so good at almost anything. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,105 posts
19,503 battles

Not going to deny it’s a good ship.

Unfortunately for me she is/was nothing more that a hated ship that was the transition between the previously despised Leander, and the following also disliked Eddy.

• Cool 1

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
1 hour ago, Bravo4zero said:

Very true!

Love your profile pic by the way, and the history behind it :)  My wife's grandfather served in the Royal Canadian Navy in WWII and was stationed aboard HMS Belfast and was there for the Battle of North Cape with Scharnhorst and off the coast of Normandy during the D Day landings before being transferred to the new Canadian cruiser HMCS Ontario in the summer of 1945.

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
48 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Enjoyed the vid, pretty quick and condensed info. Would just add two things. First of all, more as trivia, the AP fuses on the RN cruisers arm much faster than other nations, minimizing the overpenetrations. Secondly, what I felt was a bit lacking was that there was no mention of recommended Captain skills. You might think about adding a bit of time at the end, describing how you would spec at least a 10 point Commander. Other than that a worth watch. :Smile_honoring:

Hey thanks for the comments!  Normally I do add some historical info about the ships in my reviews but this one was starting to feel a bit long so I omitted it.  Excellent advice on the recommended captain skills, I will add that to future ship reviews.  The particular captain I've been using with Fiji I have the following skills loaded: Priority Target, Preventative Mainenance, Incoming Fire Alert, Expert Marksman, Smoke Screen Expert, Basics of Survivability, and Concealment Expert.

• Cool 1

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
58 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

She's very quick off the mark, all right - what she's definitely NOT quick at is the transition from ahead to astern or vice versa, and this has landed me in some rather horrific trouble sometimes.

Those extra four guns make all the difference, not just in terms of weight of fire but also in terms of salvo density and not letting destroyers slip in between your shell dispersion as the range increases. She does, however, have the weakest torpedo battery of all the British cruisers that receive torpedoes, and at times I miss the torpedo-spewing capabilities of the Emerald (I don't miss Emerald's gun armament, though; not at all impressed there).

All of these things I have experienced as well, and I should have mentioned that transition speed, good catch. I've added that as something to consider in future reviews.  Thanks for the comment sir :)

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
39 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Fiji is a excellent bote, my most played ship. I have Belfast which is also excellent, but I keep going back to Fiji when fighting mid-tier battles. She just seems to be so good at almost anything. :Smile_great:

I only recently was made aware of the fact that my wife's grandfather served on Belfast for a few years as a member of the Royal Canadian Navy, we have some amazing documents from his time there.  I deeply regret not picking up Belfast now after finding out this information, just like to have it in my port.  Maybe I can get lucky and find it in a special crate in the future.

[WDS]
Members
1,531 posts
8,265 battles

Thanks for video , job well done I enjoyed . You have a good voice maybe you could do voice over work or commercials . 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,105 posts
19,503 battles
18 minutes ago, hughjass07 said:

I only recently was made aware of the fact that my wife's grandfather served on Belfast for a few years as a member of the Royal Canadian Navy, we have some amazing documents from his time there.  I deeply regret not picking up Belfast now after finding out this information, just like to have it in my port.  Maybe I can get lucky and find it in a special crate in the future.

Yeah. My mom went to see Belfast during a trip to London, and brought me back a souvenir book. Picked mine up then, but have been unable to enjoy it...

...every RN cruiser after Emerald has been a cursed ship for me...

• Cool 1

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles
6 hours ago, hughjass07 said:

Very true!

Love your profile pic by the way, and the history behind it :)  My wife's grandfather served in the Royal Canadian Navy in WWII and was stationed aboard HMS Belfast and was there for the Battle of North Cape with Scharnhorst and off the coast of Normandy during the D Day landings before being transferred to the new Canadian cruiser HMCS Ontario in the summer of 1945.

I love the history of these ships. HMS Birmingham (C19) was from the 1st group of Town class light cruisers before the 2nd group was commissioned which included HMS Belfast. I have my grandads service record and some more photos. My grandad took a lot of photos 2 huge leather bound albums) during his service and inked the action shots with red ink. My Mam currently has them stored but I’m hoping to get them soon. I’ll have to make a post in the future and share some of the pics with the forum. He manned (was gunner) on the starboard Pom-Pom gun (102mm dual mount QF-4).

I worked in London for 11 years before moving to US and spent many an afternoon touring HMS Belfast as it was only a 20 min walk from my office. It seems your wife’s grandad had an interesting naval career also!

Keep up the good work on the videos mate. I really enjoyed the one you just posted.

• Cool 1

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
1 hour ago, Bravo4zero said:

I love the history of these ships. HMS Birmingham (C19) was from the 1st group of Town class light cruisers before the 2nd group was commissioned which included HMS Belfast. I have my grandads service record and some more photos. My grandad took a lot of photos 2 huge leather bound albums) during his service and inked the action shots with red ink. My Mam currently has them stored but I’m hoping to get them soon. I’ll have to make a post in the future and share some of the pics with the forum. He manned (was gunner) on the starboard Pom-Pom gun (102mm dual mount QF-4).

I worked in London for 11 years before moving to US and spent many an afternoon touring HMS Belfast as it was only a 20 min walk from my office. It seems your wife’s grandad had an interesting naval career also!

Keep up the good work on the videos mate. I really enjoyed the one you just posted.

Here's a cool one from his first trip across the Arctic Circle...

IMG_0166.JPG

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles
18 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

I would add my support to that second suggestion - too many of the older videos were made when the captain skills matrix was a very different thing from what it is now (e.g. basic firing training was a ONE POINT skill, and situational awareness was something you had to get as a skill that is now inbuilt to all captains).

(Proximity Target, Last Stand, Superintendent, Concealment Expert was my eventual choice for the first ten. What to do next, I do not know but I have three captain points still to climb with which to make up my mind.)

• Cool 1

Members
252 posts
946 battles
19 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

Not to the majority of "English" speakers it isn't! Maybe British English.

'Murica. :cap_cool:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
21 hours ago, hughjass07 said:

Thank you, sir! Yeah, I have always thought that people are doing me a favour by watching, not me doing people a favour by making the content, so I try to make it as efficient as possible, to respect their time, while still giving it some life and colour (that's Canadian for color lol)

Colour is the correct way to spell this word. :Smile_honoring: My Colonial Brother

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,357 posts
6,757 battles

Heh. In Australia we call malignant growths "tumours", in North America (even Canada) "tumors"

Tumor is actually closer to correct, as it is identical to the Latin word for growth or swelling.

However I will still write colour with the U.

• Cool 2

[LANCE]
Members
493 posts
4,141 battles
1 hour ago, ArgosRising said:

When we come back and colonize the America’s we’ll teach you all how to spell and use the English language again :cap_haloween:We’re sneaking in one or two at a time! For Queen and country!

Edited by Bravo4zero

[HJG]
Beta Testers
52 posts
3,092 battles
2 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

:) The 'Murican version, or dialect, of English is certainly unique to it's borders alright, but they are not the majority of English speakers in the wide world.  And then along came M$ Word who's spelling and grammar checkers default to 'Murican, thus spreading that dialect to school children around the world.  Very sneaky lol

Members
252 posts
946 battles
3 minutes ago, hughjass07 said:

:) The 'Murican version, or dialect, of English is certainly unique to it's borders alright, but they are not the majority of English speakers in the wide world. 

Are you sure? I was pretty sure population-wise American English was more commonly spoken. I would love to see an article going into this because I'm curious :cap_hmm:

Anyway I'm at work and funny enough haven't even watched your video yet, but it's on my to-do list when I get home :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Members
252 posts
946 battles
On 3/29/2018 at 11:31 AM, hughjass07 said:

Well howdy folks and welcome back to your home port!  Today I’m looking over HMS Fiji, a Tier VII light cruiser of the Royal Navy.  As far as the British light cruisers go, this is the first that I have felt really had a good balance of capabilities, not that the Tier VI Leander was bad, it just wasn’t as good.  In fact all of them up to this point have been a steady progression of improvement over the previous tier, but Fiji is the first that I sail with complete confidence.  Thanks for watching!

Yeah man, solid video and I love your style. Subbed, looking forward to seeing more of your content!