You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

What is WG doing with Space Battles?

32 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
633 posts
4,982 battles

First off: I like space battles. I don't love them, and I would hate to see the game go in this direction overall. But it's for a limited time and in a very limited way (completely separate and voluntary mode of play -- that you can even turn off if you want). It looks cool, it's fun to play something different for a little while and the benefits (free camos and Commander XP!) are pretty great. So good on you Wargaming. And also yes, I'm aware that it's nauseating and hard to see what's going on. And various other criticisms... But that's NOT what I want to talk about.

What I'm interested in is: What is Wargaming trying to accomplish with Space Battles?

Besides being fun and exciting and catching people's attention and getting some more people to play that otherwise might have wandered away from the game. And selling some sweet looking camos to support their bottom line. How are they using Space Battles to test/improve their game?

Some things that occurred to me:

• Are they testing new maps?
  • Are they testing giving Tier 6 players access to Tier 10 ships? (ie are they considering speeding up the grind?)
  • Are they testing the new storm mechanics? (potentially going to add localized storms to Random?)
  • Are they testing simpler ship builds? (only one single upgrade slot with only one upgrade available)
  • Are they polling optimal commander builds by giving a bunch of players free 19 point commanders and seeing how they assign points?
  • Are they trying to find out if their game would do better if it we're more sci-fi based?
  • What do they get from giving away so much free commander XP? Are players leaving the game because the commander grind is too steep?
  • Why is it that all these Tier 10 games are playing different than Random Tier 10 games -- and is this what Wargaming wants? (Or what we want?)

In all seriousness, and with the best of intentions: I am just interested in what you all think Wargaming is getting from Space Battles (beyond just attention for their product and increased player enthusiasm -- both good things). Doing something fun for April Fools is totally enough of a reason -- but they're smart up in there at Wargaming, so I'm pretty sure they are doing more than just having fun.

What do you think?

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

[FTWRK]
Members
381 posts
10,043 battles

Every year they do something special for April's fool's day. Last year, we had a sub sitting in our port. This year, it's space dolphins. That's pretty much it. A free stuff bonanza event, just for fun.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,874 battles

We need Karl and the 8-bit WoWS.

I liked the bathtub WoWS event too.

Edited by wtfovr

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

They’re just keeepimg up their April fools traditions but trying to make money from it as well.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
18 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

I am just interested what you all think Wargaming is getting from Space Battles

Well I think the Space Battles looks very nice and think this was just April Fool's, BUT I am here to play WARSHIPS not Spaceships so I am not interested in Space Battles, if they used this to start a different game (World of Spaceships) I am sure they would make more money.

Which I think is the main reason they are doing this - make money - I would of liked to see something more Naval like for April's Fool but I didn't but I can live with it, so I hope they will get some (a lot of) ideas to add to WoWs, Maps more Maps for one.

• Cool 1

Members
2,423 posts
9,044 battles

They are promoting the cool factor of the new space skins, that can work in two ways:

• If you already have the T10 ship(s) they made space skin for, you may consider giving them money to get doubloons to buy those skins directly
  • If you don't already have the T10 ship(s) in question, you might be motivated to grind or pay money for Free XP transfer to get those T10(s) and then pay for skins

It sort of worked on me, in the sense that I was already considering getting Republique, before I knew there was going to be the Paris skin for it.  I was already at Alsace when space skins were announced, so I was motivated to get both the Republique and Paris skin.  I normally buy the Type 20 camo anyway, so this was just 3k extra - why not.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,932 posts
8,487 battles

They have a pool of some very creative programmers and designers, and from experience with them I can say for a cert they all have their own "pet projects" and are encouraged to do so knowing they can be plugged into Halloween events and the like. The more interest in the game, in all its permutations, the better.

Edit: by "them" I meant working with people like that, not them in particular.

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,262 posts
8,578 battles

Good questions.

I would assume that WG is measuring multiple metrics with an event like this.   

From a development perspective, they may be introducing game mechanics to vet out real-game issues (but keep it confined to a particular event/scenario).  The storm mechanic, particularly.   They also measure the interest of play - are players excited about a different game style?  Is it a relief from a standard grind?    Is the player interest good enough to drive dev efforts for future events?

From a marketing sense, does this generate additional revenue?  Are folks out buying the skins, or are they fast-tracking by purchasing, instead of grinding one (such as DoY or Aigle)?   Is that interest strong enough to continue future events (and purchase promotions)?

In regards to giving access to T10s, we've seen that with Clan Battles, and now with the space event.   We've also used set ship levels for operations and ranked.    With the T10 "loaners", I don't think it's to make the grind easier, but rather to get folks interested in making the grind to T10.      My only T10 is the Montana, but after playing in clan battles and space battles, there are a few T10s that I've become fond of - even in their gimped state.     I'm definitely encouraged to start heavily grinding those lines.

• Cool 1

[Y0L0]
Members
9,574 posts
11,996 battles

space battle  is   potatofest version of clan battle  LOL.      not sure if it is going to motivate  a  new player to grind to t10 though. 

[ONE]
Members
605 posts
9,715 battles

Do keep in mind the less creative branch of WG that handle World of Tanks Console, WGCB - WG Chicago Baltimore. They have recycled the TOG Boat thing for April's Fool again!!!!!

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, centarina said:

a  new player to grind to t10 though. 

My whole thing about the higher tier ships (T7 and up) cost too much for service, that is why I am not in a hurry.

[NLIST]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,936 posts
10,654 battles

It's an April fool's event people have been wanting for a while now. Nothing more then that.

Members
975 posts
1,871 battles

Unlike the WT developers they don't use the April fool's event to test new game mechanics this is purely for fun and nothing else 

[PROJX]
Members
1,010 posts
18,451 battles
46 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

First off: I like space battles. I don't love them, and I would hate to see the game go in this direction overall. But it's for a limited time and in a very limited way (completely separate and voluntary mode of play -- that you can even turn off if you want). It looks cool, it's fun to play something different for a little while and the benefits (free camos and Commander XP!) are pretty great. So good on you Wargaming. And also yes, I'm aware that it's nauseating and hard to see what's going on. And various other criticisms... But that's NOT what I want to talk about.

What I'm interested in is: What is Wargaming trying to accomplish with Space Battles?

Besides being fun and exciting and catching people's attention and getting some more people to play that otherwise might have wandered away from the game. And selling some sweet looking camos to support their bottom line. How are they using Space Battles to test/improve their game?

Some things that occurred to me:

• Are they testing new maps?
  • Are they testing giving Tier 6 players access to Tier 10 ships? (ie are they considering speeding up the grind?)
  • Are they testing the new storm mechanics? (potentially going to add localized storms to Random?)
  • Are they testing simpler ship builds? (only one single upgrade slot with only one upgrade available)
  • Are they polling optimal commander builds by giving a bunch of players free 19 point commanders and seeing how they assign points?
  • Are they trying to find out if their game would do better if it we're more sci-fi based?
  • What do they get from giving away so much free commander XP? Are players leaving the game because the commander grind is too steep?
  • Why is it that all these Tier 10 games are playing different than Random Tier 10 games -- and is this what Wargaming wants? (Or what we want?)

In all seriousness, and with the best of intentions: I am just interested in what you all think Wargaming is getting from Space Battles (beyond just attention for their product and increased player enthusiasm -- both good things). Doing something fun for April Fools is totally enough of a reason -- but they're smart up in there at Wargaming, so I'm pretty sure they are doing more than just having fun.

What do you think?

Hey Jester - I like the question you posed w/ this re: possible motives for WGs w/ the April Fools event and how it might foreshadow future elements that may be introduced in the game (+1 by the way..).   Here's my humble opinion on the bullet items you posed:

• The Space Battle map is basically an existing T8 map in domination mode so the additional info they may glean would be limited.
  • WRT the T6 requirement - this is a bit odd since you would like to open an event up to as many players to enjoy as possible, so a T4/5 bar would be more expected.  I suspect the T6 requirement came in for simplicity's sake due to the fact that they are using skinned T10 ships which includes the CV the Hakuryu.   Due to the Tier level capabilities of CVs, CVs cannot manual drop until T6 (you cannot manual drop or strafe) so I suspect the CV is the reason the play bar for the April Fools event was set at T6.   I do believe WG is possibly setting up for future possiblities w/ qualification bars for ship leases.  The T8 requirement to get T10 rentals for Clan Battles could be serving such a function - leased ships could lead to incremental recurring revenue for High Tier premiums which is entirely consistent w/ WG's business model.  The reason why this bar was set at T8 is that due to MM, if you play a T8 ship, you are expected to have encountered T10 ships in your battles due to the MM algorithm.
  • WRT the simpler ship build - this was mainly due to commonizing the builds to level the playing field for the participants.  The reason the existing upgrade was chosen is that it serves as a "anti-detonation due to meteor shower event" upgrade.  I wouldn't read much into this foreshadowing a simplification of the module upgrade system.
  • WRT new storm mechanics - I think the storm mechanics in this event are somewhat more analogous to the field effects in the Halloween event.  I'm not sure how it would translate to a more realistic game scenario (i.e. what in a real naval battle would attrit CV planes at a certain rate - there is no meteor shower type analogy).   WG is testing localized storm mechanics in various test exercises so I think the SuperTest and PT would be more reflective of new changes here outside of a special event like the April Fools or Halloween event. 
  • The 19-pt commanders levels the playing field for the event, but I think it does serve WG's business model in that you can "try" your maxed out commander and perhaps increase your desire to play/reach the 19=pt skill level in your real port ships.   Also, if you want to respec the special event commanders...welll, they still require doubloons...
  • WRT the Sci-Fi Theme - Way back in closed beta, the April Fool's event was a space battle event similar to this one which featured ships like the Yamato in their space regalia.  This event was really well received, but participation was limited to the early beta testers in a closed format.   This event seems to be a throw-back to that popular event that the general player base can now participate in.   Also, I really like the tie-ins to a Sci-Fi history of alien intervention on earth that seems to have a thread in both the Halloween event as well.  All the "fake April Fool's Red Herring" stories are also tied together into this actual event which I found pretty clever.  Apart from the special events tho, I don't think you can read anything additional into a particular theme direction the game is going into.  I think marketing partnerships (e.g. Arpeggio Blue Steel, High School Fleet) will affect introduction of ships into the game more than a Sci-Fi theme.
  • WRT the Free Commanders XP - I think this is a nice incentive to keep the player numbers reasonably high for the duration of the event after the initial novelty has worn out.  As a temporary means to farm Free Commanders XP, this is a nice incentive, especially for players who don't yet have 19-pt Commanders to farm.
  • There is one meteor shower mechanic that is having an interesting impact on how the game is played - that is the reduction of static camping tactics.  If you stay in one place too long, you're open to being hit in a meteor shower.  The April Fool's games don't seem to have very much of this typical static play tactics you see in many High Tier games so WG may be experimenting w/ some way to encourage movement in-game to make the play a bit more dynamic like the mid-tier games.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,262 posts
8,578 battles
14 minutes ago, centarina said:

space battle  is   potatofest version of clan battle  LOL.      not sure if it is going to motivate  a  new player to grind to t10 though. 

Interestingly, I haven't seen the camping that usually occurs in Random T10 matches.    And how many complaint threads on camping have we seen on these forums?     I find that a bit refreshing that everyone is at full throttle and pew pewing.

I think that meta could be from the T7 costs, or that it doesn't impact stats.    As far as potato flavoring, some of that may be due to the depth perception of the space maps.   I've sometimes stopped firing at a red that's going behind an island (asteroid), only to find out he's in front of the asteroid, because I was seeing the asteroid below the plane (water).   And yes, there are potatoes, too.

Not sure if it'd make a new player motivated.  But for those at T6+, it's a pretty good incentive.    The Moskva, Zao, and Republique "loaners" are quite good, even in their gimped state.   I'm at T6-T7 on those lines, and T5 on the French BBs.   I'll definitely be switching focus to those nations.

[WOLFB]
Members
633 posts
4,982 battles

Hey thanks for all the responses.

I want to make one thing clear: In no way do I think WG is doing anything shady or innapropriate. I'm not looking for 'motives' or 'stealth testing.'

What I'm really trying to say is: If I were Wargaming I would take advantage of this opportunity to test some stuff out. I am assuming they are a sophisticated and forward thinking company and they are using this as a chance to experiment and gather some data and inform future decisions.

As I played space battles I just couldn't help thinking "hmmm, what would this be like in regular play? I wonder why they did this? What are they thinking about?"

[RKLES]
Members
8,930 posts
10,828 battles

What they are doing is giving me a good time while making me rich on credits and Elite Captain XP which can in turn be applied to some choice ships for use in Randoms and Ranked...

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,068 posts
14,116 battles

They're absolutely testing things. They're also making money off it. The features you pointed out are a mixture of both.

• T6 access to T10
    • Makes sure the game mode is populated because more people can get in
    • Advertises T10s to T6 players
      • Encourages retention of middle-new players who are in mid-tier with no T10s yet
  • 19-point commanders
    • Commander Elite XP incentivizes players without 19-pointers to play the mode
      • --> Makes sure game mode is populated
    • Introduces CEXP mechanic to players without 19-pointers
      • Also creates "seed capital" in the CEXP bank, which encourages people to use it and get hooked, similar to the small doubloon and premium acccount bonuses given away during account leveling-up
    • Gives players a chance to experiment with builds
  • Skins
    • Fun for the event
    • Also a revenue opportunity for space whales (and that's fine; the 5000 doubloon permacamo has the same stats and isn't being removed)
  • Storms
    • Technical testing of storm mechanics: do they even work correctly in the game?
    • Gathers data of real player interactions with storms
      • Do players behave differently?
      • Do they respond positively on forums or surveys?
    • Tests different storm generation patterns for gameplay effects
      • Are they better if they just sweep neutrally over the middle areas of the map, or should they hang around objectives, or live near the edges?
      • Neutral spawn, or should they be allowed to spawn on one team's side of the map vs. another? Diagonal patterns?
  • Maps
    • Maps are NOT identical to the existing ones. Primary differences are in island shapes and locations.
      • Example: "Medium range galaxy" map is Hotspot, but the western islands are much closer to B cap, and shaped differently.
    • Presumably this is being used to test potential changes to maps.
  • A big one you didn't mention was 9v9
    • Could be testing maps for a 9v9 format of some sort, possibly future Clan Battles?
      • The cap point layouts and spawns being used are closer to the Clan Battles setups than the Random setups
Edited by Edgecase

[WOLFB]
Members
633 posts
4,982 battles
10 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Interestingly, I haven't seen the camping that usually occurs in Random T10 matches.    And how many complaint threads on camping have we seen on these forums?     I find that a bit refreshing that everyone is at full throttle and pew pewing.

This is kind of what I was getting at. Wargaming sets up a new thing that is in some ways better. What is it that makes it better? Is it actually better? Can they use that to make the regular game better?

10 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

As far as potato flavoring, some of that may be due to the depth perception of the space maps.   I've sometimes stopped firing at a red that's going behind an island (asteroid), only to find out he's in front of the asteroid, because I was seeing the asteroid below the plane (water).   And yes, there are potatoes, too.

Yeah I did that in my second Space Battle game - I hit a ship with a torp and continued to shell the heck out of it and felt pretty good about it until I realized it had already been sunk before I even got there. When ships sink you can still see the whole ship so it's hard to tell.

[SVF]
Members
1,152 posts
1,590 battles

Space Battles mode is a bust for me, and only showed me I am not ready for T10 gameplay.  Took out the Paris and died relatively early on without being able to land a single shell.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i almost feel like there are too many metrics for this to be a real testing mode. any good experiment only changes one thing from the control group, in order to get solid feedback on what was different and the impact it made.

maybe it's a test to see what (if anything) they should test further, on top of being mostly for fun. i genuinely think they were trying to treat players to something different and fun.

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,588 posts
17,740 battles
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

• A big one you didn't mention was 9v9
    • Could be testing maps for a 9v9 format of some sort, possibly future Clan Battles?
      • The cap point layouts and spawns being used are closer to the Clan Battles setups than the Random setups

This, including the use of a CV and more than one BB.

[WOLFB]
Members
633 posts
4,982 battles
22 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

A big one you didn't mention was 9v9

Yes that!

And I just thought of another one: Near as I can tell there's no stats.

I don't see a Win Rate or anything else for Space Battles in my Profile. And frankly I'm glad.

I try hard to do well in Randoms and I'm trying to get better and up all my stats. So I use and appreciate the statistics.

But it's been pretty fun to take a break from that and just sail around and kill ships in space and not give a care. And frankly I've been doing pretty good: more wins than losses with some pretty gratifying kills.

I wonder what that means for the game overall?