Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Correcting a gunnery issue

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

I do not know if it is possible to fix this but during gameplay when I am lining up a shot for a ship that is going behind the island and the ships breaks line of sight and disappears my targeting instantly jumps to the front of the island causing you to miss your shots. Can we remove the auto-target feature or whatever causes the aim spot to instantly shift when a ship you are targeting breaks line of sight. It happens to me just as I am clicking the mouse a lot and it makes me say a lot of bad words when it happens. 

Members
22,387 posts
5,785 battles
6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I do not know if it is possible to fix this but during gameplay when I am lining up a shot for a ship that is going behind the island and the ships breaks line of sight and disappears my targeting instantly jumps to the front of the island causing you to miss your shots. Can we remove the auto-target feature or whatever causes the aim spot to instantly shift when a ship you are targeting breaks line of sight. It happens to me just as I am clicking the mouse a lot and it makes me say a lot of bad words when it happens. 

I hear you, but it doesn't seem consistent for me.

I notice it more when a ship disappears due to distance. I lose lock instantly, and sometimes the reticle stops dead, other times it continues tracking for 3-4 seconds.

Edited by Skpstr

[HINON]
Supertester
20,554 posts
13,970 battles

/agreed

I understand why it happens (line of sight mechanics at the moment of target loss) but it makes no sense from both a realism and immersion standpoint that you gunners instantly forget the your target is behind a rock. At the least give us a few seconds where they remember where the ship the had been locked on to was.

• Cool 1

Members
849 posts
14,844 battles

I usually get around 2 seconds after a target breaks lock before my guns snap onto the islands in front of it. You sure it's instant for you?

After that you need a spotter plane.

[SEOP]
Members
1,521 posts
8,233 battles
9 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

I usually get around 2 seconds after a target breaks lock before my guns snap onto the islands in front of it. You sure it's instant for you?

Yeah -- me too.  As I recall this slight delay in loss of tracking after a target "disappears" in smoke or behind an obstruction has been discussed by several community contributors on a number of youtube videos.   

There's at least one trick to deal with this issue when shooting at targets that are about to disappear in smoke -- quickly lock your guns on the last know spot before loss of tracking kicks in.  However, I don't know if this same trick would work when an island is the culprit behind loss of line of sight\loss of spotting.    

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
22 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

Oh, yea it happens instantly for me. A lot of the time I am waiting for the ship to complete a turn so I have a nice fat broadside to shoot at. I am literally starting to depress the mouse button and the ship poofs and as all my shots wind up on the front of the island and I wind up saying a lot of words that can not be repeated in polite company lol.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Yeah -- me too.  As I recall this slight delay in loss of tracking after a target "disappears" in smoke or behind an obstruction has been discussed by several community contributors on a number of youtube videos.   

There's at least one trick to deal with this issue when shooting at targets that are about to disappear in smoke -- quickly lock your guns on the last know spot before loss of tracking kicks in.  However, I don't know if this same trick would work when an island is the culprit behind loss of line of sight\loss of spotting.    

Considering how many battles I have played I am ashamed to ask how do you lock your guns on the last known spot. Is that something different than locking them on a specific bearing?

[XBRTC]
Members
2,724 posts
8,695 battles

This current behavior is not the way the game always worked.

In the past, if a ship sailed behind an island and you lost lock on the target, but you were doing ripple fire, you could still keep hitting the target for as long as you kept your finger on the button. This went away several months ago, but I don't remember which update it was. I'm assuming it as because of BBabies sick of getting burned to the waterline by ATLANTA / DES MOINES or chewed apart by MINOTAUR, as those were the ships with a high enough trajectory to routinely shoot over islands, and a high enough rate of fire that people would just keep their finger on the button to make it work.

[RLGN]
Members
10,093 posts
19,494 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

/agreed

I understand why it happens (line of sight mechanics at the moment of target loss) but it makes no sense from both a realism and immersion standpoint that you gunners instantly forget the your target is behind a rock. At the least give us a few seconds where they remember where the ship the had been locked on to was.

But Lert! Gunners must bombard rebellious peasants on the shore! Never mind the ship that just went behind the island!

Yeah; some serious ‘DA HECK?!?’ with this issue; not like the elevation mechanics suddenly loose power when the target goes behind something...

[YORHA]
Members
4,047 posts
7,017 battles

WG  confirmed this is a known problem and it would be fixed in the next patch.

Of course that was a year ago so...  yeah. 

[EREKT]
Members
48 posts
6,125 battles

Sometimes it keeps the line up for me, other times it completely resets...I don't know......I am probably due for an offering to the RNG gods. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,057 posts
6,263 battles

Alternate Battle Interface and your minimap. Look at how far they are or were, lead outside of the island, match their distance, adjust lead accordingly to where you think they are and what your minimap says. Works enough for me.

Sign in to follow this