Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Fail!Cruiser, or heroic sacrifice?

21 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles

So... I took my Leander into Defence of Naval Station Newport last night.

Died before completion; was convinced we were going to lose. Dipped out of the game once dead to start something else. Was surprised to find at the end that we had actually won... albeit with ZERO stars.

So I got my space cruisers out of that, if nothing else.

The question is this: I walked away from that scenario game with eight kills and a Natural Selection badge because four of them were cruisers. Did I sell my ship dearly enough, or could I have done better before exploding?

(Granted, I would have done better by living longer and killing more ships... but that's not what I am asking.)

Members
4,383 posts
7,093 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did I sell my ship dearly enough,

No idea what this is supposed top mean but that maybe because I am getting old.  As for the other question - no way for any of us to know since we can't/did not see  the game.  Since the space battle got opened it seems to be a moot point as well.

Edited by CylonRed

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

No idea what this is supposed top mean but that maybe because I am getting old. 

If you're that old, you should know what I meant - was it productive/worthwhile to have exchanged my light cruiser for eight enemy ships in this scenario?

Members
4,383 posts
7,093 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you're that old, you should know what I meant - was it productive/worthwhile to have exchanged my light cruiser for eight enemy ships in this scenario?

Not when it makes no sense...   But as noted already - no way for any of us to know since we can't see the battle to know what happened and what options you had and what everyone else was going.

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles

My understanding is that this is one of the toughest of the scenarios. I did the same as you yesterday. 8 kills in a Leander. Top of the ranking, by far. We won, but with one star. I think you did fine. 

Members
705 posts
4,728 battles
2 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Not when it makes no sense...   But as noted already - no way for any of us to know since we can't see the battle to know what happened and what options you had and what everyone else was going.

The expression is at least 100 years old. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sell_one's_life_dear_(or_dearly)

@OP,  grats on the 8 kills in a Leander...

Members
4,383 posts
7,093 battles
6 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

Great - still makes no sense to me sorry.  52 years old and never heard the expression and it does not lend to knowing the meaning by reading what is written.

• Cool 1

[IXM]
Members
243 posts
3,901 battles

You could have done better for sure, but you could have done a lot worse as well.  I usually judge how well I did by how I place on the EXP list.  If you are in the top half of your team then you contributed enough for your team to succeed.  If you are in the bottom half of the EXP list then you should see what you could have done better.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,574 battles

Well, in order to call it a heroic sacrifice I think you would have had to accomplish something meaningful in what you were doing or what you did.  Since you won the battle with no stars awarded, I would say you failed to do that.  Don't mean to take away from your 8 kills, but they apparently did not mean much to the outcome of the scenario.

[WOLF2]
Members
271 posts
5,173 battles

Sacrificing yourself for the greater good is always honorable. I'd say since your team won (all be it 0 stars) it was worth it. It IS the hardest of the scenarios but I did manage to get 5 stars once many moons ago.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

8 in a Leander you say?

LOL yep, point taken. Will try harder next time! :Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_izmena:

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Eight kills may or may not mean anything.  I've had at least twice in operations where a team of my son and I in Graf Spee and Warspite have torn up a bunch of ships, and a 6-inch gun cruiser followed along with us and got 8 or 9 kills finishing off our wrecks while we waited on our slow reloads.   What was your team standing at the end?  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

What was your team standing at the end?  

I shamefully admit I didn't look, and now it's too late - stupid me. I'd had a long day and I only realised we'd won just before I switched off and went to bed ("Hey, why are the space CRUISERS in my port along with the battleships? Holy heck, did I...").

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
705 posts
4,728 battles
31 minutes ago, WolfmanJack99 said:

Sacrificing yourself for the greater good is always honorable.

Honor is a [edited] concept that simply involves adhering to your personal or your society's arbitrary values. My values dictate that someone else should die for the greater good.

It's terribly cliche, but apropos..."No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
271 posts
5,173 battles
53 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

Great Patton quote! Well played. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,359 posts
6,766 battles
1 hour ago, Jiggiwatt said:

My values dictate that someone else should die for the greater good.

On an objective level I agree completely - however, battles do not always go that way, and everyone who joins the military should recognise the fact that one day it may be THEIR turn to stay at their post/in the thick of it till the end and never know that they are a Victoria Cross/Medal of Honour/Hero of the Soviet Union/"insert other national medal here" winner.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,874 battles

You do what you have to do to accomplish your goals.  In your case you were trying to get the space cruisers.

I took a Clemson into coop to try to get the destroyers.  After we won the coop battle I was a bit puzzled as to why I didn't get the two space destroyers.  Facepalm.. Tier VI or higher.  

So took a Mahan into coop.   I ended up being the last player alive against 2 full health Tier 8 bot BBs with less than 1000 HPs.   I somehow managed to kill the first BB without taking any damage, and I salvoed off my last set of torps against the second BB.  I lose the last of my hit points and die just as my torps kill the last enemy BB, "Enemy battleship sunk" audio and the screen goes dark.    Did I win or did I lose?  I have no idea.  My ship is definitely a fireball.  I think we killed each other at the same time.    When the post battle results come up 5 seconds later.  Victory!...     I was not looking forward to doing another DD battle.   I'm not going to complain - I got my two space DDs.

Sign in to follow this