Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
eaglethunder

British Destroyers WHEN ?

30 comments in this topic

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
46 minutes ago, eaglethunder said:

i have waited for so long and still no british royal navy destroyers 

I am wondering when the French Destroyers are coming -------  I WANT the Le Fantasque-class destroyers!!!!

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
327 posts
4,955 battles
16 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

Seems making the Cossack playable is taking more time than expected.

The Tribals were a truly unique class of ship, so any balancing issues with them shoudn't really effect balancing an RN DD line, one only has to look at Gadjah Mada (which is a JKN class DD) to get a glimpse of what an RN Destroyer line could look like. That said, looking at the most recent screenshot posted on the WoWs devblog page, it at least appears Cossack's X turret has been changed to her original 4.5" twin mount or at the very last made to be a player controlled turret rather than a secondary.

Edited by Monty9185
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,106 posts
10,236 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Still working out a gimmck for them I'm sure :D 

So true.  

Would expect nothing less considering the highly gimmicky nature of British cruisers and BB's.  Why stray the course now?

[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles

Just hope the Royal Navy DDs will NOT be Deep Water Torp users, because I do not use ships in game that have those.They are useless against other DDs and some Cruisers with those kind of Torps, and all all too often I kill DDs with Torps.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles
52 minutes ago, Monty9185 said:

The Tribals were a truly unique class of ship, so any balancing issues with them shoudn't really effect balancing an RN DD line, one only has to look at Gadjah Mada (which is a JKN class DD) to get a glimpse of what an RN Destroyer line could look like. That said, looking at the most recent screenshot posted on the WoWs devblog page, it at least appears Cossack's X turret has been changed to her original 4.5" twin mount or at the very last made to be a player controlled turret rather than a secondary.

The Tribals were the result of long negotiated compromises by the British, compromises that were very much typical of British 30s and 40s dd design. They were not unique, but part of an ongoing design process, and in important ways, typical of British dds of that era, and of those that would succeed them.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
327 posts
4,955 battles
2 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

The Tribals were the result of long negotiated compromises by the British, compromises that were very much typical of British 30s and 40s dd design. They were not unique, but part of an ongoing design process, and in important ways, typical of British dds of that era, and of those that would succeed them.

From a British doctrinal point of view they were very much unique, they focused guns over torpedos. They were very much larger than any RN destroyer before them, and classes that succeeded them were smaller. Though subsequent classes did indeed incorporate features first seen on the Tribals, which is why JKN and other following classes look so similar, but that is only natural.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles
37 minutes ago, Monty9185 said:

From a British doctrinal point of view they were very much unique, they focused guns over torpedos. They were very much larger than any RN destroyer before them, and classes that succeeded them were smaller. Though subsequent classes did indeed incorporate features first seen on the Tribals, which is why JKN and other following classes look so similar, but that is only natural.

They began a trend that favoured moderate gun armament, fire control and sensor fit over torpedos, follow on classes were of a similar tonnage, with lessons learned, and fresh compromises. Many of these features will not be visible/felt in game, for example, whether 2 or 3 boilers makes no difference to WOWS, but a huge difference in RL. Likewise, weight distribution is not modelled in WOWS, neither are other elements of sea worthiness, such as welding vs rivet construction. Generally speaking, follow on classes tended to have a similar tonnage, endurance, superstructure layout, higher quality of build, an improved sensor fit (radar for example), similar/identical guns/, central fire control, AA..

Spoiler

(dds with radar anyone?)

We easily overlook, that what made a ship successful in real life, does not easily translate into a MMO wargame. The Tribals had great endurance (time they could spend at sea; range, ammunition storage), good sea worthiness (able to operate in very diverse waters, and sea states), they had great yacht like looks and were popular, they were affordable and could be produced in large numbers (if I stretch an analogy, the t34s/Shermans of British warships), none of these things translate into WOWS gameplay. (some of their less than desirable qualities, are also, untranslateable to the game, hulls buckling under the stress of too high speeds in heavy seas is one such)

• Cool 1

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Still working out a gimmck for them I'm sure :D 

1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

So true.  

Would expect nothing less considering the highly gimmicky nature of British cruisers and BB's.  Why stray the course now?

:Smile_great:

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
28 posts
10,489 battles

Gallant... good boat at T6, gimmick: Single Fire Torps.

Gadja.. good boat at T7, gimmick: 3 dual gun turrets, Rear gun swings forward.

... The RN sourced DD's we've got so far follow to some limited extent the quirky stuff the RN is noted for.

Members
4 posts
2,466 battles

I just saw on wikipedia a lot of british destroyers, they seems to have some pretty good specs still cant wait to see them and take that line .

Also french destoyers will be great too 

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles
6 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

hulls buckling under the stress of too high speeds in heavy seas is one such)

Well, WG doesn't have heavy seas, only glass calm, even in a cyclone or thunderstorm. Otherwise the Okhotnik would sink all on its own most games. At least have all the gunners on the aft deck washed over board.

• Cool 1

[TAZ]
Members
436 posts
12 hours ago, Monty9185 said:

Truly WG should forgo the Cossack in the new layout, balance it in the initial layout and rename it the Haida.  We already have 2 RN premium DDs in game, and from a historical aspect almost everypone wants a Canadian representative in the fleet.  Especially since we heard today of the Argentine representative vessel on the horizon.  Save the Cossack as a tech tree DD.

Edited by Nutaz
spelling

[FLWR]
Members
92 posts
3,282 battles
2 hours ago, Nutaz said:

Truly WG should forgo the Cossack in the new layout, balance it in the initial layout and rename it the Haida.  We already have 2 RN premium DDs in game, and from a historical aspect almost everypone wants a Canadian representative in the fleet.  Especially since we heard today of the Argentine representative vessel on the horizon.  Save the Cossack as a tech tree DD.

If WG releases the Cossack first then, I'm guessing here, Canadians may purchase the Cossack then Haida when it releases later.  If WG releases Haida first there may be some Canadians that don't, then, purchase the Cossack.  Less monies for WG.

Apologies for the poor english.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,246 posts
6,000 battles

Considering how much damage that one J/K/N class destroyer in the Pan Asian line British DDs could be quite interesting. Although they seem to put American DDs out of a job.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles
8 hours ago, SheepDogTribal said:

If WG releases the Cossack first then, I'm guessing here, Canadians may purchase the Cossack then Haida when it releases later.  If WG releases Haida first there may be some Canadians that don't, then, purchase the Cossack.  Less monies for WG.

Apologies for the poor english.

Haida (and other Canadian Tribals) would require fresh modelling. If they try to clone Cossack, they will get it wrong. Canadian Tribals had a foot more beam, for example. (Minor detail maybe, but even so.)

Members
453 posts
1,017 battles

As far as I have tried, Vampire is a small, very maneouverable gunship it few torps that can be launched 1by1, Gallant is a little, very maneoverable torpedo boat with good concealment (torps also 1by1) but guns that can do it in close quarters.

I understand that will be RN line chracteristics: very good maneoverability, good concealment, single fire torps and guns between US and RU.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
327 posts
4,955 battles
11 hours ago, Nutaz said:

I've long suspected that Cossack has been a test bed for Haida, to see if they can get her 3x2 turret set up to work with just one torpedo launcher. If they do end up having to reinstate the X turret implementing Haida may become more difficult to balance properly.

Personally before WG add any more Commonwealth ships I want them to think long and hard about what they plan to do with this 'nation'. The fact you can't swap commanders with RN ships is highly annoying, despite there are plenty of examples of ships, crews and captains being frequently swapped around. It may hurt the pride of some proud Canuck's here, while the RN, RCN & RAN etc  were 'officially' separate they were in real terms a single entity with a shared doctrine. Even the naval treaties of the day considered them to be a single navy.

Point I am getting at is not to diminish the role of any of the Commonwealth natiions far from it. But you should be able to swap commanders over between the RN tech tree to make the premium ships more useful.

• Cool 1

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
151 posts
1,633 battles

Wasn't there a rumor going around for a bit that the RN DD line was coming out in the latter part of the year? I think November.

Members
4 posts
2,466 battles

well if it  comes out on november of 2018 , will be more updates till then and new lines of ships i guess , but i pretty much want to see the british line coompleted with destroyers and french too by the way

Sign in to follow this