You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NAfishyCaptain

T10 Ships

33 comments in this topic

[KWC]
Members
71 posts
1,495 battles

Hey, I need a goal, of which I need to pick a T10 ship to aim for clan battles, but my top options are Yamato and DM. What should I go for? I'm working for Kongo and at Cleveland

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,722 posts
3,649 battles

Well, what do you know about them? Not much, I'd guess, given what tiers you're at.

They're both powerful ships, Yamato especially, that can dish out ungodly levels of damage while negating almost all return fire. But one wrong move and you won't even crack 20k damage.

Members
454 posts
8,650 battles

If your goal is competitive play then maybe a good idea is to try the loaner ships that are available.

Getting a T10 ship can be a significant investment for a lot of people, why not test drive the ships given it is an option?

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

Depends on your play style preferences.  Personally, I never clicked with the IJN BB's so I stopped after getting the Kongo.  And I've not played many BB matches in a while.  I decided to go up the USN cruiser line in advance of the line split.  Though the Pepsi is doing its best to make me regret that choice.  But going up the USN line could gain you a few botes due to the upcoming line split.  And IIRC, doesn't Ranked cap the number of BB's?  For me, I couldn't see making a BB line my main focus.  But again, I just haven't enjoyed playing BB's much of late.  But that's my own preference.  

But TLDR:  Play what you enjoy.  Your choice needs to be something that works for you.  

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

We can give you answers based on the current meta but by the time you reach tier 10 this meta is likely to shift. Just grind for the ships that seem interesting to you.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
677 posts
5,719 battles

Clan battles only allow 1 BB, so if you are grinding for that I would choose DM so you have a higher chance of playing it versus a rental ship.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
2 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Hey, I need a goal, of which I need to pick a T10 ship to aim for clan battles, but my top options are Yamato and DM. What should I go for? I'm working for Kongo and at Cleveland

You need more experience in this game before you can make the decision in terms of which nation/ship type to grind.

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,305 battles

Be aware that CB teams need only 1 BB, but many, many CA/CLs. If all you have is a Yamato, you're going to be in a lot of competition with your clanmates for who gets that single BB slot, and unless you're distinctly better than all the other BB players in your clan, it's likely you're gonna be sitting out a lot of battles. For cruisers, on the other hand, clans need 3-5 of them, meaning that a halfway decent cruiser player will be able to find a spot on almost any team.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,004 posts

Buy a Lo Yang (cheapest T8 Premium).  Play one Random Battle.. and you have 3 T10 boats you can play with in the Training Room.

As far as a choice between Yamato and Des Moines..  There is no choice.  Grind for BOTH.

Some days, you need a Yamato..  some days, you need a Des Moines.  You need both for your toolbox to satisfy missions, campaigns, and clan battles.

BUT...  Don't be in a hurry.  Take the time and learn the game. 

If you aren't having fun..  Stop and take out the trash, do the dishes, clean the garage, etc.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

After some more thought I can recommend the Hindenburg to you. Even though metas shift and the current meta will likely be different when you finally get to T10, the Hindenburg will always be a very versatile ship that can fit in just about any meta I can think of.

[VX9]
Beta Testers
419 posts
9,317 battles

Probably get more battles in a CA. The DM and the hindy seem to be the most popular in clan battles.

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertester
4,366 posts
6,406 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

After some more thought I can recommend the Hindenburg to you. Even though metas shift and the current meta will likely be different when you finally get to T10, the Hindenburg will always be a very versatile ship that can fit in just about any meta I can think of.

Of the 200+ clan battles I have played over the past two seasons.....apart from a few Squall clans running meme builds, I can probably count on my fingers the number of times we played a team with out any Hindenburgs.....especially in Typhoon/Hurricane.  

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,858 posts
4,162 battles
4 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Considering there is only 1 BB captain in the team. Normally that player is usually groomed to that position. 

Were as cruisers have more interchangeability . So in the light of practicality... I would say DM would give you a better chance of getting into the team. 

Of the 200+ clan battles I have played over the past two seasons.....apart from a few Squall clans running meme builds, I can probably count on my fingers the number of times we played a team with out any Hindenburgs.....especially in Typhoon/Hurricane.  

@yashma

3 Hindy's , 1 moskva, 1 yamato / montana with the odd republique and then a DM or Zao and a YY . Thats what i usually see. 

[WUDPS]
5,013 posts
4,848 battles

Hindenberg....the best ship in the game. 

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
9 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

When the next play test is announced, sign up. You get tons on silver and gold and it only costs 2-4k to research a ship. You can try different lines and see what you like. Once you sign up for the first one, you are signed up for all the following ones so you don't have to try a do all the ships in one go. You do have to use the same email as your main account and you download the play test client, so you will have two WoWS games.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
9 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

With the ultimate goal of playing Clan Battles I suggest a Cruiser or DD. The Line ups are restricted to one BB so your chances of playing in most matches is severely reduced by one of 7. 

[CRMSN]
5,858 posts
4,162 battles
37 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Thanks, but do you recommend any CAs or DDs, i already have the rental ships

CA's - Hindenburg / Des Moines / Moskva / Zao  (in this order of popularity) 

DD's - Yue Yang / Gearing / Z-52 (in this order of popularity) 

[SEOP]
Members
1,521 posts
8,233 battles
12 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Have only played yammie on the PTS.  Turret traverse is glacial.  But accuracy is yummy for yammie.

DM -- own one.  Glass Machine Gun.  Can be super super fun.  But you can make one mistake and "fun and Engaging" ruins your match.  

Takes more brains to play DM.  But lots of folks like yammie -- cause its yammie.  

Members
559 posts
2,643 battles

You almost certainly don't want to be the BB in a clan battle. Get all the tier 10 ships. If you grind a line straight to tier 10 and jump into clan battles, there will be a learning curve (unless you're a much better player than I am, which is possible). Use the rental ships. One thing about tier 10 ships: right now, you can't be uptiered. 

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
123 posts
13,683 battles

go cruiser, BB's and good DD's get locked in at the beginning of the season. Cruisers have a better chance of getting cycled in. For cruiser Hindy has best chance of rotating. If your team has good Zao, Moskava, or Desi players it their fleet composition it's hard to swap them out also. So in the end the only boats that tend to get subbed in on competitive teams Are Hindenburgs.

[NGA]
[NGA]
Members
75 posts
5,792 battles

Its been said multiple times, but once again, there is only one BB per team and that position is very competitive.  WE have recently adopted the 1 DD configuration and learning to work it well.  Our DD choice is Gearing, Yueyang, Z-52.  That leaves 5 CA/CL and we like to see at least 2 radar DM, Moskva, 2 Hindes, and either a Zao or Min.  I know there are a lot of negative toward the DM, however I have learned its strengths and will willingly go 1 on 1 with any CA/CL and win.  These are our experiences and the decision is yours.  Just providing what NGA-B does.

[WORX]
Members
3,387 posts
14,753 battles

I wish it was just pick a tier X ship and watch as I succeed. This is why I was against clan War fare being only for Tier X ships.   Getting a Tier X ship is

• expensive,
  • maintaining all the modes to be competitive in game is expensive,
  • camos are expensive, and
  • repair cost will wipe you out in less then 5 games. 

I would tell a new player not to get a tier X ship until they can maintain it. For me, I avoided tier X matches like Ebola. At first I said I wanted the YAMATO, but

• IJN BB play was missing something for me.
  • SO I played IJN DD line to get the shimakaze, I got tired of the cut and paste feeling of the line that I never made it.
  • I wanted the Conqueror but again I dont like BB play that much. 
  • CV play, not with the current issues. Stopped at tier 4
  • I then went up the US cruiser line aiming for the De Moines, danm that is a hard line to master so I stopped at the Pensicola,

So after so many trails and tribulations and 8k total battles. I ended up with a ship I thought I would never get to begin with, The Smoke Minotaur. God help me lol. In this process of self analysis, I can't "tell" you what ship to get. I do recommend to find your play style that is fun for you and find a higher tier ship that matches that style. But then I wont know if that will make you happy in the end... I hope this helps Cheers!

[SALVO]
Members
20,143 posts
19,989 battles
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, ZARDOZ_II said:

Depends on your play style preferences.  Personally, I never clicked with the IJN BB's so I stopped after getting the Kongo.  And I've not played many BB matches in a while.  I decided to go up the USN cruiser line in advance of the line split.  Though the Pepsi is doing its best to make me regret that choice.  But going up the USN line could gain you a few botes due to the upcoming line split.  And IIRC, doesn't Ranked cap the number of BB's?  For me, I couldn't see making a BB line my main focus.  But again, I just haven't enjoyed playing BB's much of late.  But that's my own preference.  

But TLDR:  Play what you enjoy.  Your choice needs to be something that works for you.  

Zardoz, how can you seriously know whether you click or not with any line at only tier FIVE???  Cripes, I don't think that one can get a grip on a line until tier 7 or 8.  And it varies with the lines, because no all of them are really consistent in the quality or play style of their ships.

That said, if you want to say that BBs in general don't float your boat even at tier 5, that I can understand because the play style doesn't change all that drastically within any given ship type.