You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
A_Crying_Hipster

Anonymous downvoting

56 comments in this topic

Members
567 posts
80 battles

It's a form of "sniping." That is an interpersonal communication term to define when someone gets in a verbal jab and runs away or cuts off communication before the target of that jab can respond. 

In social dynamics, it's a blatant and juvenile demonstration of cowardice. 

If a person strongly disagrees with someone's claim enough to downvote, the last thing they should do is be a coward hiding behind the safety blanket of anonymity. They should stand up, be a man and deliver a counterargument using proper communication skills, organization of thought and relevant evidence to support their argument so that they can establish credibility. 

Blindly downvoting without making a case just shows they can't defend their position and actually strengthens the position of the person they disagree with. Or worse, it shows they're downvoting out of mere spite (showing visibly how many forum trolls are poisoning the community) which further adds to weakness. And at best, it shows laziness and complacency which still reflects poorly on one's character.

Edited by A_Crying_Hipster
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 12
  • Angry 1

[DPG]
Members
1,339 posts
5,803 battles

I just down voted you because I think you made a new forum account so you could lord your sense of superiority over others.  News flash, no one owes you anything.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,591 posts
12,334 battles

Maybe its a BB player, you know sniping from the back,

Maybe they can read but not write,

But in essence does it really matter, I mean who cares if you get downvoted/upvoted, maybe people down vote only because the interweeb bullies go after them because they have a difference of opinion, whether right or wrong,

See it all the time, someone asks a legitimate question and the weebs come out and attack, not to help at all, its because they can, so maybe you got a mystery DV'r who simply wants to remain anonymous due to the weeb bullies that frequent the forums

Other than that who gives a rats.

Your post makes you appear like a snowflake, all delicate and stuff, (see hows that for interweebing) lol

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[DDM_]
Members
1,518 posts
4,315 battles
13 minutes ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

It's a form of "sniping." That is an interpersonal communication term to define when someone gets in a verbal jab and runs away or cuts off communication before the target of that jab can respond. 

If a person strongly disagrees with someone's claim enough to downvote, the last thing they should do is be a coward hiding behind the safety blanket of anonymity. They should stand up, be a man and deliver a counterargument using proper communication skills, organization of thought and relevant evidence to support their argument so that they can establish credibility. 

Blindly downvoting without making a case just shows they can't defend their position and actually strengthens the position of the person they disagree with. Or worse, it shows they're downvoting out of mere spite (showing visibly how many forum trolls are poisoning the community) which further adds to weakness. And at best, it shows laziness and complacency which still reflects poorly on one's character.

I down voted you because you think that anything anyone does on an internet forum actually matters one damned bit in real life. Grow up. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,178 posts
10,340 battles

Maybe it is because others have already responded with the same comments they would have made and thus don't feel the need to repeat them.

• Cool 4

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,591 posts
12,334 battles

Yes this post is definitely a case of how to win friends and influence people

• Cool 1

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

Welcome to the internet and social media where everyone's opinion matters.

Really.

:cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,676 posts
8,217 battles

downvotes are not registered by the forums, so don't worry too much about them.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
1,339 posts
5,803 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Yes this post is definitely a case of how to win friends and influence people

It's just same tired crap he spewed on his other account.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[TDM]
Members
152 posts
5,997 battles

If the option to down vote is available, then maybe your missing the point?

Snowflakes gonna snow I guess...

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
717 battles

Really down voting is just away of saying someone thinks something sucks, just like upvoting is the opposite. Take it from someone who has social anxeity do to worry what other people think about them, and trying to make everyone happy..dont do it.

• Cool 2

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,165 battles
1 hour ago, A_Crying_Hipster said:

Complaining about a group of hackers whose sole purpose is too be Anonymous :Smile_popcorn:PS: It is a gaming forum. Im thinking you are looking for
the- > Lazy Leftist Lawyers ultimate forum off understanding and bitterness.

• Cool 1

[2347]
Members
299 posts
6,505 battles

Sometimes a down-vote just says it all maybe, kinda like an up-vote...or are you demanding they pull up their Huggies and explain those, too? Anonymous up-voting is a plague upon the internet. Maybe. Or not. Bleh...I'm gonna side-vote this thread with a yawn and avoid the hassle of trying figure it all out.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
5,018 posts
11,288 battles

The name of the OP and this thread go together so perfectly.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[5BS]
Members
6,761 posts

More negative "downvotes" than comments in the thread? Either an elaborate joke or hilariously ironic. Either way, who gives a crap.

Edited by _RC1138

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

While this is not generally the case for your posts (as ACH or VGL), and while I'll give you a +1 here for the effort to conjure a world of rational-critical debate in the most unlikely of places - although next time, please, footnotes - an anonymous downvote is just the answer to certain posts you find on this forum.  If someone writes the equivalent of "destroyers suck and I hate destroyers because they're bad," well, if it is a battleship player with less than a hundred games I might feel charitable and deliver the gospel of WASD, but if not, it deserves exactly the effort from me that was put into it to begin with.

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Any argument that you can make against an anonymous system for downvoting, you can make for an anonymous system for upvoting. Why should only the downvotes require a post?

Basically I look at it this way. Upvotes mean someone agrees with you, downvotes mean someone doesn't agree with you. Only upvotes count towards reputation, so no harm done.

Some days I wish I had more downvotes to hand out, but I almost always use all of my upvotes.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[SIM]
Members
3,456 posts
5,328 battles

No one owes you anything, whether they disagree with you or not. Your post is only slightly above “fight me irl” nonsense. You seem to think that all opinions are created equal and every [edited] deserves to have their asinine point of view humored. They don’t, and a thumbs down can communicate a person’s disagreement or derision without forcing that person to get themselves messy by engaging with someone who’s just throwing their craparound on the forums. 

[2347]
Members
299 posts
6,505 battles

Heyyyyyy...My post got downvoted! I demand a recount! Wait a second...Wargaming comes out of Russia, right? Downvote tampering, anyone?

• Funny 2

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

Up-votes are pretty clear, generally meaning being "I approve of your post" or "that was funny." The down-votes, however, can mean anything or nothing. Most down-votes don't seem so much to reflect on the quality of the post as they do feelings of the down-voter to the poster; that is, they are ad hominems. Most forums have rules against personal attacks, yet ironically they also allow anonymous ones via emoticons. Post enough and you also will collect a forum troll or two who come on and down-vote most of what you post, up to their daily limit, just because they don't like you personally for some reason. Interestingly, even though the down-votes themselves are anonymous, by noting who was viewing your post at the time it was down-voted you can get a pretty good idea of who it is down-voting all your posts.

I know who you are down-voter.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[-BRS-]
Members
405 posts
12,365 battles

one can only vote in a thread so many times it would appear. every poster I attempted to upvote, but alas..........."sorry, there was  a problem in responding to this post"