You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Brofisticus

Painful Sound Effects

12 comments in this topic

[PNG]
Beta Testers
2,196 posts

So, a while back we complained about the tinnitus sound effect. The sound effect was reduced to reasonable levels. Unfortunately, 7.3 raised the pitch and volume of the tinnitus sound effect back to the levels that cause me legitimate pain. Please give us an option to remove high pitched sounds. That way, the people that enjoy it can let their ears bleed while old vets like me can play with sound turned back on (my ears are still ringing from a citadel I took four hours ago). 

[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles
8 minutes ago, Brofisticus said:

So, a while back we complained about the tinnitus sound effect. The sound effect was reduced to reasonable levels. Unfortunately, 7.3 raised the pitch and volume of the tinnitus sound effect back to the levels that cause me legitimate pain. Please give us an option to remove high pitched sounds. That way, the people that enjoy it can let their ears bleed while old vets like me can play with sound turned back on (my ears are still ringing from a citadel I took four hours ago). 

Go to Audio settings and figure out which setting to adjust to get rid of the annoying one, I made adjustments myself so that game is enjoyable and I get a variety of sounds, minus the ones I can’t stand.

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Go to Audio settings and figure out which setting to adjust to get rid of the annoying one, I made adjustments myself so that game is enjoyable and I get a variety of sounds, minus the ones I can’t stand.

Like the stupid alarms. Immersion is all fine and well; but those bloody things drive to an extremus of distraction.

Wish we had a settings toggle to greatly reduce the volume, or to turn them off completely...

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,279 posts

You think that's bad? I live with that every moment of my life~<3

[PNG]
Beta Testers
2,196 posts
11 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

"SFX volume" is the appropriate setting and guess what that includes. If you guessed "almost everything with a slider on the right side of the menu", you win a ruble (to be awarded by WG). No sounds from your ship, the weather, island collision warnings, or voice notifications ("Enemy cruiser spotted!"). There is no option that I can identify that can disable that vile tinnitus sound without deafening myself to all other sounds. I have no idea why they would bring this hurtful sound back after all this time. 

So, WG, I ask you once again. Give us the option to disable this agonizing sound effect. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,763 posts
11,136 battles

There is this annoying high pitch sound when I zoom into my own ship. Is this the sound you are referring to? 

[PNG]
Beta Testers
2,196 posts
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

There is this annoying high pitch sound when I zoom into my own ship. Is this the sound you are referring to? 

Negative, I am referring to the high pitch "shell shock" sound when you take large hits. 

[PNG]
Beta Testers
2,196 posts

I honestly don't know. If you mean zoomed in all the way but not in binocular mode (shift key) it could be your engine or some ambient ship sound. An option to shave the top end off of the frequency range would fix any issue people may have with any high pitched sound. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,471 posts
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

ok, so what's that loud annoying sound I'm referring to?

It's probably the sound of all those without the ability some of us have to hear those frequencies screaming "whiner". Seriously.. 

I noticed today in the Space Battles... like ermahgawd... it isn't everything, it's just certain frequency ranges that really impact those with even a smidgen of tin ears. Maybe they could - for future things - try to put the frequencies into a less irritating frequency? 

Or as Bro mentioned...options to flatten the frequencies down? 

I like all the work they do for the sound effects but man, some of them are extremely irritating. 

Personally, I'd like the option to mute the sound of incoming shells to a whisper without mucking with the other sound effects. I like those particular sounds as much as man having gone six days without water would like a nice cool glass of desert sand. 

[PNG]
Beta Testers
2,196 posts

Hyperacusis (or hyperacousis) is a debilitating hearing disorder[1] characterized by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, some of which may seem unpleasantly or painfully loud to that person but not to others.[2][3]

Hyperacusis is often coincident with tinnitus. Both conditions have a prevalence of about 10–15% and hearing loss as a major risk factor. However, there also appear to be important differences between the mechanisms involved in tinnitus and hyperacusis.[1]

The most common cause of hyperacusis is overexposure to excessively high decibel (sound pressure) levels.[2]

Wiki

Considering the quantity of old veterans that play this game on NA (I would consider explosives "excessively high decibel sounds"), this is something to consider.