You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Malarkey_

...Future of this game?

27 comments in this topic

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles

Just trying to get a census of what people think the (If any...) future this game might have. I have been playing for quite some time and wanted to know what other players felt about the recent events and what it says about the games over health. Events such as releasing clearly rushed items to the game just to remove them again (Graf Zeppelin ) or not releasing content at all (T-61/Duca Degli Abruzzi) , the overall increase in the price of items (8000 Doubloon Camo) and premiums that don't seem to worth the overall cost (Gascogne /Musashi/ Huanghe ...etc). I think it shows the game might not be doing as well as we hope and that the game may be heading the same direction that Warplanes did. I could be wrong in this, but its what I see and I watched Warplanes do the same thing overall. 

p.s. not trying to upset folks or start fights just trying to get an idea if I am alone in this thinking or if others share my point of view. Thanks for your time. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,124 battles

whats wrong with Musashi????? the overpriced camos well.... someone will pay for them not be but someone. I hope the future works out well for this game I like it been through a lot on it many nerfs and only nerfs cant think of a ship I own that has ever seen a buff honestly and well I still enjoy it makes me try harder and change tactics I sure don't agree with almost every nerf that they have done the biggest was OWSF sure it could be OP but was fairly easy to counter just required teamwork but oh well have to go with the flow I guess no more 1000 hit games in the Aki lol

• Cool 5

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,124 battles

wow downvote within 30 secs cool

Edited by GuntherPrein
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles
2 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

whats wrong with Musashi????? the overpriced camos well.... someone will pay for them not be but someone. I hope the future works out well for this game I like it been through a lot on it many nerfs and only nerfs cant think of a ship I own that has ever seen a buff honestly and well I still enjoy it makes me try harder and change tactics I sure don't agree with almost every nerf that they have done the biggest was OWSF sure it could be OP but was fairly easy to counter just required teamwork but oh well have to go with the flow I guess no more 1000 hit games in the Aki lol

I wouldn't say anything major was wrong with the Musashi it's just that it was a replacement for a far better ship overall and I think WG could have done a bit better with it. Also, I hope nothing but the best for the future of the game its just personally I am a bit worried overall.

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles

error

Edited by Malarkey_
error

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles
5 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

same here.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles
5 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

Looks like Lerts down vote stalker is working overtime! 

• Funny 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
7 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

Got to love the Free Flowing Hate

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,068 posts
14,116 battles
16 minutes ago, Malarkey_ said:

or not releasing content at all (T-61/Duca Degli Abruzzi)

This just sounds like actually learning their lesson. When something's not working right, you keep working on it, you don't just dump it out. The luxury of being able to do that is actually an indication that the game is in a good place, not a bad one. Let me explain:

Consider a game that is actually in a bad place -- no offense to the designers or players -- World of Warplanes. You can see that game is in trouble in the sheer amount of pressure they put on players to grind games for rewards. Hard pushing for increased playtime is a sign that a multiplayer game is trying to escape the great death spiral: lack of players means no games, no games means more players quit. So you pressure your players to play more games in hopes of stopping the cycle.

World of Warships is looking nothing like that right now. They have features and content lined up, and they're not showing signs of desperation to release either in order to make a quick buck. Are they trying to make bucks? Of course. But putting out something like Space Battles for an April Fools Day event is an invitation, not a demand, and that speaks volumes to the amount of confidence and breathing room the team has in the current state of the game.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 2

[WAIFU]
Members
1,151 posts
6,465 battles
7 minutes ago, Malarkey_ said:

Just trying to get a census of what people think the (If any...) future this game might have. I have been playing for quite some time and wanted to know what other players felt about the recent events and what it says about the games over health. Events such as releasing clearly rushed items to the game just to remove them again (Graf Zeppelin ) or not releasing content at all (T-61/Duca Degli Abruzzi) , the overall increase in the price of items (8000 Doubloon Camo) and premiums that don't seem to worth the overall cost (Gascogne /Musashi/ Huanghe ...etc). I think it shows the game might not be doing as well as we hope and that the game may be heading the same direction that Warplanes did. I could be wrong in this, but its what I see and I watched Warplanes do the same thing overall. 

p.s. not trying to upset folks or start fights just trying to get an idea if I am alone in this thinking or if others share my point of view. Thanks for your time. :Smile_honoring:

You're seeing everything in a bad light. They just added a special fun event in Space Battles and they just released a new line of ships and the long awaited US cruiser line split is coming in a few patch. They've been releasing new lines on a regular basis so there are always new ships to play. They just had a few events giving out free ships. They are working on map balance. They are working on more Operations.

However, you're sticking on some small issues like the Zeppelin thing. Yes, it was bad. But in the grand scheme of things and for the future of the game, it's really insignificant. The T-61 and the Abruzzi thing is a non-issue. Those ships were teased and will be released when they're deemed ready or when WG thinks they will benefit them the most. They are not going anywhere... The worth of premiums is a relative thing. Yes, Gascogne may be expensive, but in my opinion, all tier 8s are expensive... Musashi however is free. I don't know how free ships are too expensive. We could argue over the value of every dingle premium ships in the game.

In conclusion, you are being paranoid. The game is doing great. Content is being added on a regular basis. Sure, there are a few hiccups, but nother serious. If the game starts feeling like a drag, you should start thinking about taking a break.

• Cool 2

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles
2 minutes ago, garfield001 said:

You're seeing everything in a bad light. They just added a special fun event in Space Battles and they just released a new line of ships and the long awaited US cruiser line split is coming in a few patch. They've been releasing new lines on a regular basis so there are always new ships to play. They just had a few events giving out free ships. They are working on map balance. They are working on more Operations.

However, you're sticking on some small issues like the Zeppelin thing. Yes, it was bad. But in the grand scheme of things and for the future of the game, it's really insignificant. The T-61 and the Abruzzi thing is a non-issue. Those ships were teased and will be released when they're deemed ready or when WG thinks they will benefit them the most. They are not going anywhere... The worth of premiums is a relative thing. Yes, Gascogne may be expensive, but in my opinion, all tier 8s are expensive... Musashi however is free. I don't know how free ships are too expensive. We could argue over the value of every dingle premium ships in the game.

In conclusion, you are being paranoid. The game is doing great. Content is being added on a regular basis. Sure, there are a few hiccups, but nother serious. If the game starts feeling like a drag, you should start thinking about taking a break.

I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking time to type it out and it was the reason I started the topic was just seeing if I was overthinking things. The "paranoid" thing was a bit harsh I think, but overall thanks for typing this up.

Again, folks, I am not asking this to start a fight or get the forums upset. I was just asking folks what they think and if they shared my view or not. If I am wrong that's fine I am old enough that it doesn't bother me I am wrong about many things. :Smile_teethhappy:

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,298 posts
12,407 battles

I think the game is doing very well for this stage of it's development, it's engaging and  has multiple modes for people of different interests and skill levels to participate in.  It would take a unicum level effort from the developers to not have SOME hiccups along the way.  While the Pearl Project was awesome, unleashing that many Kamikaze R's on the player base had some serious repercussions - something which WG corrected by taking it and the Fujin off the market.  In fact WG has taken ships it perceives as over performing out of the game in a number of ways, from just not selling it anymore, to offering gold refunds after making significant changes to a ship ( Kutuzov, Belfast ).  The T-61 is going to be OP as it stands, so they are not going to release it until it gets close to being balanced at tier.  8,000 gold doubloon camo?  As PT Barnum said, there is a suc..... "customer" born every minute - if people want them badly enough they will buy them - it's their business decision to make.

Short of them releasing a new line this summer, I will probably have all the tier 10's in my next 1,000 games.  Truth be told, I love playing my premium  tier 5-8's more than I like playing the 10's.  So I'm not going to stop for lack of content, I am chasing getting to an overall 60% win rate, which is quite a few thousand games in the future, after that I will chase some other number or ship - the game experience is fun enough that I see myself playing this steadily for at least the next 1.5-2.5 years.  That's a pretty satisfied customer in WG's book.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,558 posts
11,568 battles

I have some increasing concerns that the game is turning away from the 'farmer nurturing the flock for the long term' to 'slash-n-burn' as an approach. It's not terminal yet.

It's very hard to maintain confidence when the development team seems to go from the odd miss per year to the last 6-months which include the Graf Zeppelin, Kidd, Huang He, Cossack, Abruzzi and other tier/balance misadventures - with the common theme of laziness (do a carrier rework...) or over-tiering (Huang, GZ, Abruzzi).

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,508 posts
4,404 battles
24 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

This just sounds like actually learning their lesson. When something's not working right, you keep working on it, you don't just dump it out. The luxury of being able to do that is actually an indication that the game is in a good place, not a bad one. Let me explain:

Consider a game that is actually in a bad place -- no offense to the designers or players -- World of Warplanes. You can see that game is in trouble in the sheer amount of pressure they put on players to grind games for rewards. Hard pushing for increased playtime is a sign that a multiplayer game is trying to escape the great death spiral: lack of players means no games, no games means more players quit. So you pressure your players to play more games in hopes of stopping the cycle.

World of Warships is looking nothing like that right now. They have features and content lined up, and they're not showing signs of desperation to release either in order to make a quick buck. Are they trying to make bucks? Of course. But putting out something like Space Battles for an April Fools Day event is an invitation, not a demand, and that speaks volumes to the amount of confidence and breathing room the team has in the current state of the game.

I agree with you, and I'm so glad that I came to this game.

There is a Youtuber that I follow, who is one of the CC's for a WG game. One day, he released couple videos on WoWP, after version 2.0 for that game was launched. I actually gotten a little curious about WoWP, and tried to download it... but the WG downloader wasn't just working for me for some reason. I tried every trick that I could think of, but the files just didn't download at all.

So I gave up, thinking of just going back to the lag fest of WoT Blitz... when I learned that WoWS was also available on Steam. So I took a dive, and lo and behold... a smooth and quick download, thanks to the Steam client. And here I am.

I'm so glad I came to this game. It has Coop and Operations, which I very much enjoy, not available in other WG games. Plus, on top of that, it has plenty of events regularly (I very much enjoyed the French BB line release events of last patch).

I know this game isn't perfect and has a lot of rooms for improvement, blah blah. But I still wish it a long and healthy life. I'd love to stay for a long haul, at least couple years.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,124 battles
37 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Got to love the Free Flowing Hate

I know right

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,298 posts
12,407 battles

Lol - OP asks a legitimate question and solicits our opinions.  I respond with the opinion that I am a satisfied customer and WG is doing a good job of learning from their mistakes.  10 minutes later - DOWNVOTED!

I know who one of my stalkers is, and it warms my hear that he felt the need to drop that "BAD" on my response.

Hey stalker, didn't you post that you were quitting the game?

• Funny 1

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles
12 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

lol some people eh

I know right.

[MWM]
Supertester
318 posts
7,720 battles
17 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I agree with you, and I'm so glad that I came to this game.

There is a Youtuber that I follow, who is one of the CC's for a WG game. One day, he released couple videos on WoWP, after version 2.0 for that game was launched. I actually gotten a little curious about WoWP, and tried to download it... but the WG downloader wasn't just working for me for some reason. I tried every trick that I could think of, but the files just didn't download at all.

So I gave up, thinking of just going back to the lag fest of WoT Blitz... when I learned that WoWS was also available on Steam. So I took a dive, and lo and behold... a smooth and quick download, thanks to the Steam client. And here I am.

I'm so glad I came to this game. It has Coop and Operations, which I very much enjoy, not available in other WG games. Plus, on top of that, it has plenty of events regularly (I very much enjoyed the French BB line release events of last patch).

I know this game isn't perfect and has a lot of rooms for improvement, blah blah. But I still wish it a long and healthy life. I'd love to stay for a long haul, at least couple years.

I hope it around for years to come as well. I hope more people come to the game I would love to match or beat EU numbers!

[NMKJT]
Members
3,626 posts

I don't think the game is going to fall off a cliff, but I 'm about to take an extended break from it. I have work and school and my time to game will be limited over the next couple months and I feel I have better gaming options available to me right now.  I have to prioritize and ships is just not at the top any longer. 

If I could point to a reason it is the continued lack of a premium for my primary line, German DDs. Going on two years now

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

It would be much worse if the ships were overpowered. That would be a much more telling sign.

Members
567 posts
80 battles

I look at the health of a game by the demographics between intelligence and healthy personalities. If the quality people on both of those fronts are leaving for better quality communities, and the result is the volume of lower class and less sophisticated players increasing... And the developers respond to this deterioration in quality by catering to them which only speeds the decay, then that's not good. But that's only my opinion based on the priorities and values I set when determining if a game is worth my time. 

Everyone defines "survival" differently. Quality players leaving the game (or playing far less) will think the game didn't live up to expectations and therefore failed. Others with much lower standards who still love the game and play it regularly will think its thriving. 

"The game's not dead, it's only mostly dead." - Miracle Max

[2347]
Members
299 posts
6,505 battles

^^^^^ That's gotta be a troll, right? I mean, I haven't been here long enough to know who's who and what's what, and I swear I'm not being facetious or trying to offend anyone. I just really want to know the truth. Is the previous post for real? And if it is, should I be worried? Does asking these very questions place me in the lower class of less sophisticated gamers? Am I contributing to the decline of the Western World? Okay, I am being a little facetious now. Sorry. Serious question: What is that mysterious demographic that exists between intelligence and healthy personalities? Tried Googling it and my computer crashed. Ah, shoot. Sorry again, the crash was due to something completely unrelated. My bad.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,076 posts
6,206 battles

1 Year ago the US server was running 12k ppl at prime time, peaking at about 14k on weekend evenings. Ive got screenshots of 16k+ at prime time so I think the 'doom and gloom' people need to get over it.  Wargaming in general is a niche market that attracts a specific type of person, often ex military or history buff, and naval warfare games are a niche within a niche so expecting the game to be really popular is a long shot.

The server population has had peaks and troughs, usually peaking when new lines are released and lowering during exams or summer.

Beta Testers
4,292 posts

I think the emotional health of people who play it too much is a bigger concern than the game health itself. The population seems just about as large as it was in 2015, on some peaks it actually goes above what I'd see back then. There are some issues with the game, but I can't see any of them being a reason for the doom of World of Warships. The people who start suggesting that the game is dying are just experiencing a burn-out, should take a break and as we're so used to seeing, they come back after a couple months with a refreshed spirit.