You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
wolfvet

cruiser discrepancies

6 comments in this topic

[R-E-D]
Members
3 posts
12,918 battles

[R-E-D]Lonewolf160:  I dont like how the secondaries on the US cruisers & BBs (5"/38) only have a range of 5km when the Gearing has a range of 11km. They are the same gun. Why should I be peppered by a Bismarck at almost 8km when the secondaries of my Cleveland should be able to do the same.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,555 posts
13,975 battles

Because the Bismarck has 8 very inaccurate 15" and North Carolina has 9 much more accurate 16". That's why Bismarck has better secondaries.

As for why the same gun as primary on a destroyer has more range and better accuracy than as a secondary on a battleship / cruiser, is if the secondaries were as long reaching and accurate as the same gun on a destroyer, no destroyer would ever be able to come close enough to launch torpedoes without getting blasted out of the water. Why play anything other than battleships then?

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,018 posts
2,774 battles

Because strapping 4 Fletchers worth of firepower to the side of each T8+ USN BB would be a bit OP.

I mean seriously, if the secondaries were as in real life no DD would dare get within 10km of a BB.

• Funny 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

For gameplay reasons I’m ok with the shorter range, but I really wish they had the same fire rate as the destroyer 5”/38s. That would be cool.

[CVA16]
Members
3,159 posts
11,042 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 5:52 PM, AJTP89 said:

I mean seriously, if the secondaries were as in real life no DD would dare get within 10km of a BB.

The DDs of Taffy 3 would beg to differ. Of course those BBs were being harassed by aircraft at the same time and IRL, it is very difficult to fight planes and ships at the same time.

Edited by Sabot_100

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I would say a better question is why do much smaller AA guns get much better range than the 127mm USN AA guns?