You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
InTheWind_

another fail

30 comments in this topic

Members
24 posts

not sure why i expected, no wait hoped for at least some kind of improvement in the matching for the space battles. alas you folks still continue to fail. guess i cant really fault you because i honestly don't think you can fix it. this game will always be either lopsided win or lose. a shame really because except for that one very important aspect of the game, overall it is fun. slowly but surely tho the fun is being eroded .

• Boring 1
  • Angry 1

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

I dont know about you, but im enjoying this a lot and doing rather well with the BBs in Space Battles.

[SALVO]
Members
20,022 posts
19,932 battles
2 hours ago, InTheWind_ said:

not sure why i expected, no wait hoped for at least some kind of improvement in the matching for the space battles. alas you folks still continue to fail. guess i cant really fault you because i honestly don't think you can fix it. this game will always be either lopsided win or lose. a shame really because except for that one very important aspect of the game, overall it is fun. slowly but surely tho the fun is being eroded .

InTheWind, there's a fairly simple reason why most games end in lopsided wins or losses.  Actually 2.

1. A mismatch of talent between the two teams.  This one's fairly obvious.

2. The snowballing effect.  When a team gets a small lead, the leading team has more ships focusing on fewer ships on the enemy team.  This makes it increasingly more difficult for the trailing team to pull even.  it can be done, and it's best done quickly.  The best way to come back quickly is to focus on killing the badly wounded ships on the leading team and get them dead ASAP.  But if you don't do that, the pressure caused by the advantage in ships will mount up and the leading team will start to snowball the trailing team, increasing their lead until you end up with a full fledged massacre.

And note that #1 feeds into #2.  You can have the snowballing effect even with two evenly talented teams.  But if one team has a lot more talent than the other team, it only increases the likelihood of the snowballing effect because very good players usually have an instinctual understanding what to do when they have a lead and how to take advantage of it and turn it into a route.

Thus, short of adding some mechanic to try to give trailing teams a little outside help*, I don't see any way for the devs to make the game not have this snowballing effect.

* An example of giving a trailing team a little outside help might be that whenever your team loses a ship and your team is trailing, maybe every one of your  surviving ships got an immediate infusion of HP.  Or the most damaged ship got a major health boost.  Or maybe all ships on the trailing team got a reload boost commensurate with how much they are trailing in number of ships.  Note that I am NOT suggesting that WG do this.  These are just examples of what they "could" do to try to mitigate the snowballing effect.

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

I only had to play two space battles to know I won't be playing them. Both teams I was on were HORRIBLE. The first game I was in I destroyed the only two enemy ships......it was a landslide. The second match I was in our team got skunked. I had over 100k of damage but was taken out by a CV. Two good individual efforts but terrible teams ruined it. Why bother to play something when the matchmaking is broken.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

They will never have skill based match making. The event is here for us to have fun. Stop whining about it and play! You earn elite captain XP and camos for doing nothing but having fun.........

[WOLF2]
Members
1,262 posts
8,566 battles
22 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I only had to play two space battles to know I won't be playing them. Both teams I was on were HORRIBLE. The first game I was in I destroyed the only two enemy ships......it was a landslide. The second match I was in our team got skunked. I had over 100k of damage but was taken out by a CV. Two good individual efforts but terrible teams ruined it. Why bother to play something when the matchmaking is broken.

I'm not getting the matchmaking angle.   Space matches are:

Limited to 9 specific ships (one is a CV, which could cause a tremendous lopside).   All ships can only get one upgrade.   Nothing premium in regards to the ships.

All captains are 19 pointers.  No disparity in point level between skippers.

No divisions (they may be allowed, but I didn't see any divisions in the 10+ games I played)

That leaves it up to player skill, or familiarity of the boat (if you have one of the real ships).    But we see variances of skill at every level of play - random, ranked, or clan battles.

There may also be unfamiliarity with the map or space texture.  It took me a round or two to stop aiming at the bottom of the hull.

There is also different meta, it seems.  Instead of the camping you usually see at T10, all the matches I've been in were dynamic, folks (red and green) at full throttle, shooting everything they see.     

I had a couple of steamroll matches, but the rest were fairly good - if folks had them in Random, they'd be posting on the forums.

Not seeing how MM comes into play here.

Edited by DiddleDum

[MMC]
Members
135 posts
387 battles

I play try hard all the time, with varying degrees of success, every single time I load up a battle ...except today. I played two randoms, got my two wins, unlocked the space cruisers and destroyers, and now it’s fun time. I want to do all the stupid stuff I never do in other game modes. I want to try builds I know are questionable. I want to brawl and ram and just have a good time without worrying over matchmaking or whether my teammates can find wasd on their keyboards. It just doesn’t matter to me today. So, I’m sorry if I was on your team and ruined the game for you, but I had a blast!

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles
2 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I don't think it's the game that needs help.

Something about a 42% WR and 496 WTR is kind of a big deal :Smile_hiding:

But no, the problem in this case is obviously the other players.

OIsYlBN.gif?noredirect

Members
381 posts
9,943 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Something about a 42% WR and 496 WTR is kind of a big deal :Smile_hiding:

But no, the problem in this case is obviously the other players.

OIsYlBN.gif?noredirect

lol, wow... I just went and checked myself... OBVIOUSLY the ships are broken, and so is MM.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,788 posts
4,145 battles
4 hours ago, InTheWind_ said:

Six posts, six downvotes.  Y're on a roll, kid!

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, motaz87 said:

tried a few space battles.....ya no thanks. 

Wish WG would try fixing the real problems in the game (CV balance, MM, general ship balance, few game modes, etc., etc.) rather than spending the money and effort on garbage like this.

I started playing this game because I was interested in WWII-era naval combat. (I'm sure i'm not alone.) Adding fluff and gimmicks like anime, Halloween camos, and now space battles just makes me wonder if my time and money are better spent elsewhere. Someplace where the developers actually care about the core product instead of silly add-ons.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,070 posts
4,727 battles
1 hour ago, Jarink said:

Wish WG would try fixing the real problems in the game (CV balance, MM, general ship balance, few game modes, etc., etc.) rather than spending the money and effort on garbage like this.

I started playing this game because I was interested in WWII-era naval combat. (I'm sure i'm not alone.) Adding fluff and gimmicks like anime, Halloween camos, and now space battles just makes me wonder if my time and money are better spent elsewhere. Someplace where the developers actually care about the core product instead of silly add-ons.

Like you I play WoWs because I'm interested in WW2 era ships and naval combat @Jarink

However, you do have the power to... I don't know... not play the space battles or the anime nor are you forced to use the Halloween and other "gimmicky" camos.

While I understand and completely agree with your point of WG continuing to work on MM, ship and game balance as well as new maps and game modes, I don't get the angst towards game content that you are not being forced to use. It's like going to a steak restaurant and complaining to the manager or owner that they have mac-n-cheese and corn dogs on the menu for the kids.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,070 posts
4,727 battles
5 hours ago, InTheWind_ said:

Why would you expect MM to change just because WG implemented the space battles content for April Fool's? For all intents and purposes except for some minor tweaks here and there, WoWs MM has remained pretty much the same since the game rolled out over 2 and 1/2 years ago. 

While WoWs is not perfect, most of us who play it, enjoy doing so. At the same time, I understand it is not for everybody.

Edited by daVinci761st

[WOLFG]
Members
118 posts
5,209 battles

Going to invent a tool that will suck away credits and doubloons of people who come to the forums to whine about MM.  I'd have so much credits and doubloons in game that I'd never be able spend them all in 10,000,000 years.

• Cool 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I don't about anyone else, but I've been having fun! Mainly because I've had a chance to try out Minotaur. (Norma) It's made me think about adding Mino to my port though I'm also thinking about waiting to see how Worcester works out instead. Decisions... Decisions... :cap_book:

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
559 posts
12,061 battles

I also had a few curb stomping type matches but overall I've had fun with the space battles so far. I managed to get wins with every type of ship and it's interesting to try the ones I haven't completed grinding yet; still only at the Freddie for instance.  But, if you don't like the space battles then stop playing them. If you're complaint is with the match making, when everyone has the same exact ship, with the same captain skill point allotment, then I'm not sure what more could be done.

b0o7j.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popkey&i=mashup

Members
24 posts

now i laugh. i am surely not the best player, basically average. for you folks, (fools, imho ) that actually believe stats mean anything, are what make me laugh. just for an example here, in the past 30 days i have disconnected from the server 6 times. in four of those i was reconnected only to find my ship was dead when i came in. the other 2 already had losses that prevented a win even were i the best player. so they go towards my loss stat. does that truly reflect my playing abilities as some of you suggest. i was basically just venting frustration but you " trolls " seem to think my stats are what make or break my abilities regardless of the truth. i realize that wow cannot truly come up with a way to match player skill vs player skill, due to the reason stated above. STATS MEAN NOTHING. PERIOD. so get off your high horses and perhaps think instead of helping wow find a way to more balance the matches. i have so much fun playing but, when the majority of the matches are lopsided, it does get frustrating. 

Members
1,435 posts
8,260 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 8:26 PM, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Win Lose the elite exp is worth the frustration alone

yep. i play about 2-6 space battles a day.  its worth getting the com xp.   Getting some credits, xp, and a chance to play ships i don't plan on buying or wont get for a long time is pretty nice. 

i don't really play that mode seriously.  i just wing it, and hope for the best.   pretty much every game is a blow out one way or the other tho. 

[BNKR]
Members
460 posts
2,887 battles

I'm actually enjoying the Space Battles because:

1. Tasty elite commander XP.

2. As someone who is still in the mid tiers, it's teaching me how to play a DD in games with radar just like I'll see in the upper tiers. (Much better to make mistakes in a fun derp mode vs random matches.)

3. I'm learning a bit about how some tier Xs might perform. Not perfect, and the meta is different than it will be in randoms, but I'm about 100% sure I want a Moskova (sp?), Gearing, Zao, and might have to go to the Brit cruiser line. 

So while the mode might not be for everyone, it also depends on how you look at it, I guess.

[DDM_]
Members
1,507 posts
4,282 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 6:48 PM, InTheWind_ said:

You haven't seen bad match making until you've played World of Tanks for an extended period of time. The match maker in this game is definitely better. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,207 posts
6,652 battles
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

and might have to go to the Brit cruiser line. 

Get ready for a grinding experience unlike any other. And not necessarily in a good way. If your experience is anything like mine was, you will quite possibly hit a wall at Tier 5 (Emerald) and at times it will make you want to F yourself to death with a burning aircraft carrier rammed in sideways. No HE and shorter-ranged guns than almost any other cruiser tier-for-tier will also be a culture shock, so be aware of that.

But I was a relatively new and inexperienced player back then, and if you are good at hiding in smoke with US destroyers and raining gunfire on your opponents, it might be for you.  In light of my subsequent experience with US destroyers, I might even go so far as to suggest that the Emerald is a lot like a very large AP-only Nicholas with one more torpedo per launcher and with bonus hydroacoustic search. Remember to go for the superstructure, and remember that British AP is on a VERY short fuze and doesn't overpen much.

The other good news is that British cruisers keep their torpedoes (albeit in reduced numbers) all the way up to Tier X. Quite a nasty sting in the tail, even if you can't create the massive long-range spreads that some Japanese CL's are capable of.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1