Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
retic1959

Bye Bye Colorado !

77 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles

Finally finished with the slow as crap Colorado and got the North Carolina . What a relief . I've had the Missouri for quite some time so the N.C. feels comfortable , the Colorado just doesn't belong at tier 7 IMO . I think the Alaska would be perfect for that tier and drop the Colorado and New Mexico down to 6 and 5 respectively and let the New York go completely .

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1

Beta Testers
1,592 posts
3,809 battles

Colorado was meh for me still holding onto her for the time being. Hoping wargaming makes a USN BB split in the next 2 to 3 years. Got several classes to choose from and my favorite is the South Dakota 1920 this is not the fast battleship class that you are familiar with, but an earlier design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota-class_battleship_(1920)

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles
20 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

Finally finished with the slow as crap Colorado and got the North Carolina . What a relief . I've had the Missouri for quite some time so the N.C. feels comfortable , the Colorado just doesn't belong at tier 7 IMO . I think the Alaska would be perfect for that tier and drop the Colorado and New Mexico down to 6 and 5 respectively and let the New York go completely .

Wrong.  The Colorado is perfect for tier 7.  The problem with the Colorado is, IMO, a design problem.

With the German, British, and French BB lines there are BBs that got fictional engine upgrades that make them faster than their historical max speeds.  But with the USN BB line, not so much.

IMO, what needs to be done is to remove the stock engines from some of the mid tier USN BBs, move their currently upgraded engines to being the stock engines, and then provide them with a fictional engine upgrade that makes those ships have more competitive max speeds.

Furthermore, the Alaska has no business being a tier 7 ship.  None at all.  It belongs up around tier 9 or 10 as a cruiser.  Same as what appears likely for the Kronstadt and the Stalingrad.

• Cool 4

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Wrong.  The Colorado is perfect for tier 7.  The problem with the Colorado is, IMO, a design problem.

With the German, British, and French BB lines there are BBs that got fictional engine upgrades that make them faster than their historical max speeds.  But with the USN BB line, not so much.

IMO, what needs to be done is to remove the stock engines from some of the mid tier USN BBs, move their currently upgraded engines to being the stock engines, and then provide them with a fictional engine upgrade that makes those ships have more competitive max speeds.

Furthermore, the Alaska has no business being a tier 7 ship.  None at all.  It belongs up around tier 9 or 10 as a cruiser.  Same as what appears likely for the Kronstadt and the Stalingrad.

That would work to a degree , but with MM being what it is Colorado will still get stomped when up-tiered . Maybe in combination with a faster reload ?

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,803 battles

60% wr in Colorado; started playing it with a zero point captain on a dare...

...seems fine to me.

NC on the other hand...

...that I don’t like so much.

[SALVO]
Members
18,305 posts
18,887 battles
9 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

That would work to a degree , but with MM being what it is Colorado will still get stomped when up-tiered . Maybe in combination with a faster reload ?

There's nothing wrong with the Colorado's guns.  Heck, its 16" guns reload faster than the Nagato's 16" guns.  The Colorado's only problem is its lack of speed.  Period.

[INTEL]
Members
6,891 posts
27,611 battles

Colorado is a very decent ship, other than slow-as-molasses speed.

You had to have seen the original Colorado we got, pre-buff. It was called Lolorado then, but you get the idea.

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles
1 minute ago, alexf24 said:

Colorado is a very decent ship, other than slow-as-molasses speed.

You had to have seen the original Colorado we got, pre-buff. It was called Lolorado then, but you get the idea.

I've been abandoned in a push a few too many times in the Colorado , actually had idiots berate me for not being able to disengage . Only option is charge and try to cause as much damage as possible before dying .

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles

The biggest problem I found with the Colorado is that the engagement can run away from you.  Many times I decided to push in one direction and then the flow of the battle changed.  You end up just whistling sea shanties to yourself while you futilely try to catch up with the battle.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

60% wr in Colorado; started playing it with a zero point captain on a dare...

...seems fine to me.

NC on the other hand...

...that I don’t like so much.

At least I feel like I can get the hell out of Dodge if needs be in the N.C.  And having the extra guns up front doesn't hurt either .

Members
4,251 posts

Perhaps someone can really explain this 'slow' thing everyone is always on about.  I play a lot of these slow ships and never had a problem being in position, or getting into the fight, and that's going at 1/2 or 3/4 speed in them.  A faster ship doesn't mean its harder to hit (if so CAs would be much harder to hit).

In a BB its act not react like so many do.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
747 posts
1,976 battles

When you're facing tier 8 and 9 BBs that can all pretty much do 28 knots or better, being the chubby little sister really sucks.  

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
6,891 posts
27,611 battles
4 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Perhaps someone can really explain this 'slow' thing everyone is always on about.  I play a lot of these slow ships and never had a problem being in position, or getting into the fight, and that's going at 1/2 or 3/4 speed in them.  A faster ship doesn't mean its harder to hit (if so CAs would be much harder to hit).

In a BB its act not react like so many do.

In a slow ship such as Colorado, New Mexico, New York, you have to be near the center and in range of the enemy to shoot at. If you go to one flank. and the flow moves to the other side, you'll never make it in time to get targets.

This is an issue also in maps like Two Brothers. If the enemy decides to go to one side en masse, and you pick the wrong side, you have no targets.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,358 posts
9,984 battles

CO isn't a bad ship and if its at tier or top dog, she will usually turn in a good game.  The guns are better than anything at T7.  Speed is the killer, time to run a speed flag on your CO, it helps.  You can be out of a battle in ANY BB,  I have chased battles in my Richilieu.....getting like 30k damage and being almost full health, so not a real excuse in CO, you just have to be more strategically aware.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

CO is a beast if you think ahead. It also has a hidden advantage where it doesn't bleed as much speed in turns as normal ships. This means you can hard maneuver with quicker ships and come out the faster ship. The guns are also some of the best tier for tier.

[RLGN]
Members
9,402 posts
18,803 battles
56 minutes ago, Das_Schlippo said:

The biggest problem I found with the Colorado is that the engagement can run away from you.  Many times I decided to push in one direction and then the flow of the battle changed.  You end up just whistling sea shanties to yourself while you futilely try to catch up with the battle.

Won’t deny this happens; but maybe all that map watching from the old slow Warspite turrets helped me plan driving Colorado better...?

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
437 posts
7,510 battles

Colorado is a good ship, powerful main armament, accurate enough to hit something at range, decent enough AA with proper skill upgrades (not winning any awards though), and armored well enough to survive a battle. It's not 100% a brawler, but neither is it a sniper. It can do both, but it does not excel in either like some of the other factions. And it is of course slow as hell.

By comparison, the Japanese tier 7 bb has little armor but great guns; it can dish out damage but can't take a hit. The German 7 has terrible accuracy at range but rather decent survivability and torpedoes; 100% brawler on this one unless you and RNG have some satanic pact going on that nets you better accuracy at max range.

The only BB's that I would compare the Colorado to is possibly the French 7 and/or British 7 bb's. French are speedy though and have comparatively little armor... I say little, but they are surprisingly resilient if you know how to angle. The British tier 7 is probably a better comparison, just with HE rather than AP and I think that they are still actually faster.

But again, all of the other ships are faster (well... I think all of them are faster; at least the majority) than the Colorado; which does kinda count for something in this game. If you get focused, you are screwed; you are not getting away like the French. If you cant get to a position in time to fire your guns at priority targets, your impact in the game is null and void. <I still see people trying to take the long way around maps in this ship... no surprise they always end up at the bottom of the score board.

I like the ship, but it certainly requires others to pick up the slack of actually winning the game (capping and pushing) and you'd best have a plan before the game starts. Don't bother trying to retreat either, once you are there, you are there for the long haul. I mean, I did good in it, I would set my cruise control at full speed and go headlong towards a cap. I moved slow enough that by the time the others in my squad had capped it, I would be right behind them. Or, I would be there to cover their retreat. < At the sacrifice of myself.

Either I was the driving force behind the squads push, a wall to protect the squad as they retreated, or I was the chain holding them back as I could not get into a position to properly support them. But I will say, once I got the North Carolina, I've never looked back lol. Gotta keep the New Mex too. <Too many awesome moments in that ship to give it up.

Edited by Levits
  • Cool 2

[BYOB]
747 posts
1,976 battles

Just looked up my Colorado stats; 56.92 % wins, 65 battles.  I guess the negative stays more present in my mind than the positive.

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles
14 hours ago, Das_Schlippo said:

Just looked up my Colorado stats; 56.92 % wins, 65 battles.  I guess the negative stays more present in my mind than the positive.

The Colorado just didn't click with me at all 38.24% vs 54.90% in New Mexico , after the last 5 or 6 game losing streak I went strictly co-op with her . At one point in time I would have kept going and not give a crap , that's why my stats are lousy  overall . I'm sitting at 57.70% with the Missouri and expect similar results from the North Carolina when I return to playing random and ranked .

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,590 posts
3,603 battles

The biggest problem with USN Standards are there player's playing them. You play the area you start in, if the team is with you then you push hard, if they are not either act as a rear guard or push into the enemy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen at the start of the match a USN BB sailing from one side of the map to the other, by the they get there they're already too late

[70]
Members
1,055 posts
4,802 battles
9 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

The biggest problem with USN Standards are there player's playing them. You play the area you start in

Except Trident where BBs that aren't brawlers (cough Germans) often should at least consider diagonally cross the map to maximize broadsides-on-target.

Members
120 posts
7,264 battles

I am starting to enjoy my Colorado.

But, I agree the grind can be painful.

Personally, I'd like to see the Colorado detection range buffed a little bit. The New Mexico's best detection is 11.something KM. The Colorado's is 14.something. Though ships have the same length and beam. The Colorado is a bit taller, but not 3 KM worth..  Then the North Carolina's detection is back down to 11.something again. If Colorado's detection were around 13km, it'd be nice, and I think more in line with the other ships in the American BB line.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
564 posts
4,155 battles

#1 trope around here...”I stink in (insert ship name) therefore (same ship) must be bad and need a buff.”  Just like the last girl who dumped you, its not her it’s you

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,379 battles
16 minutes ago, missile742 said:

#1 trope around here...”I stink in (insert ship name) therefore (same ship) must be bad and need a buff.”  Just like the last girl who dumped you, its not her it’s you

Except I've been with the same woman for 45 years and the Colorado is still bottom place in tier 7 BB's .

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this