You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pigeon_of_War

Pigeon's Weekly Thought Mar. 28th, 2018

60 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Developers
1,116 posts
4,104 battles

Hello Captains!

I wanted to say first of all, I hope you are enjoying the new Space Battles mode. The teams in Saint Petersburg and across the world took your enjoyment of it very seriously and we collectively hoped we delivered. That said, what could we have done better? What do you like? What do you hate? Not in a bug-tracking or sentimentality type of thing, but be candid (but constructive) in some feedback for the future.

(Note: If you don't like Space Battles, then this isn't the thread for you. Move along. Don't be that guy!)

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,278 posts

So far my only complaint is the high cost of the permanent versions of the ship costumes. I understand that you have a business to run, but for that same price I can buy another A-list game

• Cool 4

Members
1,756 posts
11,119 battles

I enjoyed it on the test server. I think what would have been cool would have been a energy shield consumable. It would last a certain amount of time but gets reduced on the amount of hits it took too.

Supertester
3,005 posts
10,086 battles

Just had my first battle in it. Tried out the Norma, man, I'll tell ya, at first the no floor effect gave me a bit of vertigo and the aiming threw me off with the shells, but that's all on my end.

The effects and detail that were put in for just April fools day must have a been a ton. I am thoroughly enjoying them. Please tell them thank you very much!

[HINON]
Supertester
20,456 posts
13,904 battles
36 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

So far my only complaint is the high cost of the permanent versions of the ship costumes. I understand that you have a business to run, but for that same price I can buy another A-list game

This. 8k gold? That's $35. I find 5k already prohibitive for the T10 permacamos.

Another minor complaint is that it's just the same game with new, flashy colors. Mind they're extremely well done flashy colors, but there was potential for so much more, like for example 200% ROF and +50% range on GK's secondaries, 50 knot destroyers, etc - exaggerate what the various ships are known for to extreme and silly extent.

• Cool 3

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

This. 8k gold? That's $35. I find 5k already prohibitive for the T10 permacamos.

Another minor complaint is that it's just the same game with new, flashy colors. Mind they're extremely well done flashy colors, but there was potential for so much more, like for example 200% ROF and +50% range on GK's secondaries, 50 knot destroyers, etc - exaggerate what the various ships are known for to extreme and silly extent.

Then with that logic the Yamato would One shot everything no matter where the shells landed on the hull, Nuclear shells much? :Smile_teethhappy:

EDIT: And the Shimakaze would be able to launch 30 torpedoes in quick succession again... Yikes.

Edited by NovaTempest

[HINON]
Supertester
20,456 posts
13,904 battles
20 minutes ago, NovaTempest said:

Then with that logic the Yamato would One shot everything no matter where the shells landed on the hull, Nuclear shells much? :Smile_teethhappy:

EDIT: And the Shimakaze would be able to launch 30 torpedoes in quick succession again... Yikes.

Yamato and Shimakaze are not in this April Fools mode.

But, just to humor you: Yamato could fire extremely heavy shells with a slower reload. Shimakaze could fire 30 extremely fast torps, that do less damage.

Remember, this is a temporary fun mode. Not one where we're looking for permanent balance and parity.

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
1,685 posts
3,820 battles
1 hour ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Hello Captains!

I wanted to say first of all, I hope you are enjoying the new Space Battles mode. The teams in Saint Petersburg and across the world took your enjoyment of it very seriously and we collectively hoped we delivered. That said, what could we have done better? What do you like? What do you hate? Not in a bug-tracking or sentimentality type of thing, but be candid (but constructive) in some feedback for the future.

(Note: If you don't like Space Battles, then this isn't the thread for you. Move along. Don't be that guy!)

Space battles themselves should have been designed with tier 5 and 10 in mind. World of tanks didn't have any prerequisites for its fun game modes.  The tier 5 ships in these space battles would have resulted in permacamos for tier 5 ships something the community has been asking for.   wg could have made 5 tier 5 ships spaceships and 5 spaceships at tier 10. That would have been the best way to make this event both veteran friendly and newcomer friendly. just my thoughts

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
990 posts
14,145 battles

I like the Republique and Z-52 Camos. In my opinion the Moskva was ruined by the "thrusters" on the back though :[. I bought the repub camo though and I love it.

[WGA]
Developers
1,116 posts
4,104 battles
52 minutes ago, Lert said:

But, just to humor you: Yamato could fire extremely heavy shells with a slower reload. Shimakaze could fire 30 extremely fast torps, that do less damage.

Remember, this is a temporary fun mode. Not one where we're looking for permanent balance and parity.

Honestly, though it sounds fun, it sounds like a lot of balance work would need to be done with 9 different ships to consider. 

I know it seems like it would be fun to unbalance and break everything, but that would be fun for maybe...a couple hours. This mode is lasting for quite a while, so balance needs to be considered. 

• Bad 1

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

15 minutes ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Honestly, though it sounds fund, it sounds like a lot of balance work would need to be done with 7 different ships to consider. 

I know it seems like it would be fun to unbalance and break everything, but that would be fun for maybe...a couple hours. This mode is lasting for quite a while, so balance needs to be considered. 

Of course I was only joking around with what I said, Another take on the idea would be the Yamato firing Tier 2 DD's for shells. :Smile_teethhappy:

Or an even crazier idea, replacing the visual of Minotaur's guns with vulcans such as those found on A-20 Warthogs.

While on that topic, could even replace the superstructure of the Grosser Kurfurst with an actual castle... :Smile_amazed:

you can tell I have a strange mode of thinking. Mind you do use these as possible ideas for future april fool's events if you like. I'm just running like crazy with what lert said, mainly as a gag.

Edited by NovaTempest

[NERO]
Members
3,621 posts
2 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Hello Captains!

The only thing I'd change is allow us to buy the ship skins for ships we don't own yet. Right now the only T10 I have that has a nifty skin is GK, and I'll be getting that one for sure, but there are several I'd be happy to pay hard earned cash for and have them in my inventory for when I unlock those ships someday if you'd let me! 

I'm literally asking you to let me give you money here... 

[VW]
Members
2,420 posts
14,222 battles

I love it, the graphics are amazing!!! I mean look at that galaxy UNDER the map! Its really cool. Something that might have been  fun is treat the « underwater » as air so shells could penetrate below the waterline. I really appreciate the economics being profitable despite it being tier 10 ships! I really like that all the ships have the same playing field, same tier, no extra upgrades, makes results dependent on the captain. Something i thought of as i was approaching it is what if one were to fall off the map if hitting the border? This might be an interesting april fools mechanic.

Members
78 posts
4,095 battles

The few battles I've played have been fun. The only frustrating part was winning a normal battle to unlock. As for the gameplay itself, the meteor shower that occurs seems to start in the same spot when I play. It would a surprise to see it start at random points of the map. Maybe have it start at the center of the map? 

As my final critique (if you can call it that), it would have been a small laugh if the dolphin commander actually sounded like a dolphin. 

[CMFRT]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
778 posts
2,015 battles
3 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Hello Captains!

What could have been done better? Space Battleship Yamato. The lack of it... is disappointing. Get your lawyers to talk to whomever own the IP of Space Battlship Yamato... and get it in there.

[NOBUL]
Members
335 posts
3,661 battles

If we could actually see the torpedoes coming at us. All we see is a red triangle and can't tell which way they're headed.

[POP]
Members
1,274 posts
8,730 battles
7 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Hello Captains!

The art is truly amazing. The ships are gorgeous. Seriously, WG ought to make this a regular game (World of Spaceships?). Then you could things like rail guns and plasma torps that track the enemy and CWIS-like laser clusters and proximity fused missiles... weeeee

My biggest problem is how much the style throws off my game. Aim points are all messed up because we can see the bottoms of the ships. And the black background makes some things (like the units killed display at the top) impossible to see. I'd hope for more contrast during UI testing. 

I really enjoy looking at the mode. Playing the mode is OK. 

Seriously, I want models of all these ships. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,979 posts
2,721 battles

I like it overall. However, it's really hard to judge ship speed and direction with the lack of sea surface, bad lighting, and funky smoke. But it's cool to look at. The play is the same, kind of disappointing especially compared to the Halloween events.

I like the idea some have proposed of breaking the balance in this mode. One thing I thought of, give minotaur HE. Just so we can see how broken it would be. Just for kicks, classify the Aurora as a BB. Nuclear mushroom clouds when the Yamato's shells hit. Give Midway its jets back, but make them F/A-18s. Maybe the Zao's tracers are just a line of flames. The Shima launches an actual wall. Rocket jets from the back of the Khab when the speed boost is activated. The things we joke about here. It's April fools, put them all in a game mode for laughs. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
6 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Honestly, though it sounds fun, it sounds like a lot of balance work would need to be done with 9 different ships to consider. 

we all know why yamato is not in space battle hint hint 2199-2202 space battleship yamato. yamato could had face a copyright issue with yamato being in space. Now with this mode be cool if wargaming could do a promotion with 2199-2202 space battleship yamato anime be sweet to add new ships in. 

[ARP]
Supertester
870 posts
10,933 battles
6 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

I really do love the camo/model changes, and the idea of space battles. But sadly I think this current gamemode needs something to make it... different. Personally speaking, the gamemode is a novelty, but only a short-lived one. Once the cool sounds and new graphics are removed, it is just a tier 10 random match, with worse teammates, no premium consumables, and no ship upgrade modules. 

Members
5,350 posts
6,088 battles

I'm absolutely loving the spess botes mode! Good work all around, and I like the features that are being tested via this April fools mode(such as reducded AA range in the storms and inability to repair, and the fact that the games are 9v9 not 12v12, possibly making it so in the future MM won't force games to be 12v12 so T8s don't get pulled up into a majority T9/10 game?), it makes the games feel more unique and adds a layer of challenge given that the storms do provide some benefit when inside them. Earning elite exp with each game is icing on the cake, and that alone will almost guarantee my participation throughout the event(I don't have a regular 19 point commander yet, lol).

A few more maps would have been nice. Hot Spot is alright as a map, and the variation added in via the clan battles version of Hot Spot help to make playing the mode over and over less dull, but I think at least three maps would have been better.(Heck, Mountain Range could have been themed with an asteroid belt splitting A and B, and it has a clan battles variation with different spawns and base locations).

I also want to echo Lert in saying that the ships' capabilities could have been exaggerated a bit. Would have made the mode more fun and unique in my opinion. Something like making them all faster. I think it's the 'see-through' water to mimic space, but it makes the ships feel really, really slow, even going over 30kts feels as sluggish as a BB. If ships were faster maybe it'd counteract that perception and the game would feel more normal. Unless slooooooooooow is what you guys were going for, since it's space after all.

[YAN]
Members
1,648 posts
8,005 battles

For me, theres a couple sounds:

Ship Death explosions
Shell Hits/ricochets
Torpedo Hits

These remain the same as non-space battles, with all the effort put into absolutely everything else visually and graphically I find that these sounds just rip you out of the immersion. Which is unfortunate.

Im also not particularly fond of the floor of the space mode, the lines and blanket colour makes it look like the ships are just floating on a force field, rather than in space, although I realise that this might've been done just out of game engine limitations.

The 8k Doubloons price for the camos is also unreal. For reference, you could purchase the Sims or Saipan for that doubloon cost