You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NovaTempest

The Design a Patch Competition: Requiem

8 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles

First before I start, I just want to say congrats to the winners of the march 2018 design a patch competition, well done guys.

Like I said I enjoyed doing this, but i was extremely bummed - disheartened even - when i found out my submission didn't even come up in the public vote.

To refresh some memories, this was the submission:

Spoiler

5abbd3861ce8f_CaptainBadAdvice.thumb.png.4ff72413f0aabe9b26fa63d1b1a1b59d.png

While I don't object to the dev's decisions (its too late to make that kind of case anyway), I'd like to know why this submission was cast aside. It took me a full week of hard work to create this, and i considered it carefully and even looked at the example they provided with reckless abandon. If the devs are to host another contest like this it would be a great benefit for me to know this for future reference as I would rather learn what I did wrong rather than be left in the dark about it.

I read and understood the rules and regulations, and followed them to the T as best I could. I would quote from my submission, but its easy to find already as it was on the 2nd page of the submission topic.

Was this just not original enough? Is captain bad advice trademarked and i didn't realize it? Did i make some sort of critical mistake? I hate to sound like a lost puppy on this already decided matter, but i literally do feel like a puppy kicked off a bridge. Again I'd appreciate understanding the reasoning this submission fell through so hard.

Again, congratulations are in order to the winners, but i feel like my heart and soul got ripped out as digital design is the sort of stuff I eat, sleep, and breathe.

Members
3,206 posts
3,521 battles

The intention for mine was to reduce the rage one would get when they see it. After some self reflection though, I realized it was poorly designed and out of place. Its unmemorable and could have been thought out better, or done differently. 

As for yours, I can see it being due to image protection/damage control. Cappy has to feel special when you see him and without any spite held toward him. You don't see him show up everywhere on everything. When you see him its educational or for a fun time. So I could see it being used in  fun picture on the front page rather than a badge. Or maybe they were looking for something more original, yeah, and feel they can do Fish and Captain ones for fun promotions at any time. That's my take on it anyways. 

• Cool 1

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles
48 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

The intention for mine was to reduce the rage one would get when they see it. After some self reflection though, I realized it was poorly designed and out of place. Its unmemorable and could have been thought out better, or done differently. 

As for yours, I can see it being due to image protection/damage control. Cappy has to feel special when you see him and without any spite held toward him. You don't see him show up everywhere on everything. When you see him its educational or for a fun time. So I could see it being used in  fun picture on the front page rather than a badge. Or maybe they were looking for something more original, yeah, and feel they can do Fish and Captain ones for fun promotions at any time. That's my take on it anyways. 

I Honestly don't really put much rage into seeing the badges show up, though I do understand that point of view... Their decision is their decision I guess. Still hate to see captain bad advice unrepresented in-game, but from the looks of it emblems wont be how hes going to show up.

Better luck next time I suppose. I appreciate the insight Yoshiblue.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,547 battles
1 hour ago, NovaTempest said:

First before I start, I just want to say congrats to the winners of the march 2018 design a patch competition, well done guys.

Like I said I enjoyed doing this, but i was extremely bummed - disheartened even - when i found out my submission didn't even come up in the public vote.

To refresh some memories, this was the submission:

Hide contents

5abbd3861ce8f_CaptainBadAdvice.thumb.png.4ff72413f0aabe9b26fa63d1b1a1b59d.png

While I don't object to the dev's decisions (its too late to make that kind of case anyway), I'd like to know why this submission was cast aside. It took me a full week of hard work to create this, and i considered it carefully and even looked at the example they provided with reckless abandon. If the devs are to host another contest like this it would be a great benefit for me to know this for future reference as I would rather learn what I did wrong rather than be left in the dark about it.

I read and understood the rules and regulations, and followed them to the T as best I could. I would quote from my submission, but its easy to find already as it was on the 2nd page of the submission topic.

Was this just not original enough? Is captain bad advice trademarked and i didn't realize it? Did i make some sort of critical mistake? I hate to sound like a lost puppy on this already decided matter, but i literally do feel like a puppy kicked off a bridge. Again I'd appreciate understanding the reasoning this submission fell through so hard.

Again, congratulations are in order to the winners, but i feel like my heart and soul got ripped out as digital design is the sort of stuff I eat, sleep, and breathe.

Geez it was a contest. It does look good but just accept that it didn't make it. Neither did mine.

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles
11 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Geez it was a contest. It does look good but just accept that it didn't make it. Neither did mine.

If I didn't accept it I would be making waaaay more of a fit over it. :Smile_sceptic:

I was just asking for a straight answer as to the why so i don't repeat the mistake. I may be making this a bit more personalized than I should, but I'm taking it seriously.

Edited by NovaTempest

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,099 battles
5 minutes ago, NovaTempest said:

If I didn't accept it I would be making waaaay more of a fit over it. :Smile_sceptic:

I was just asking for a straight answer as to the why so i don't repeat the mistake. I may be making this a bit more personalized than I should, but I'm taking it seriously.

because maybe the guy that decided who the winner was didn't like it???? Its ok if you need a shoulder to cry on call 1-800-dont-care they will tend to you

Members
31 posts
2,327 battles
13 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

because maybe the guy that decided who the winner was didn't like it???? Its ok if you need a shoulder to cry on call 1-800-dont-care they will tend to you

What does this look like, the world of tanks forums?:Smile_facepalm: (No offense intended)

I was looking for honest opinions like YoshiBlue's, or - though a longshot - a bit of an idea as to why from one of the staff. Not getting flak'd by people for just asking for a little insight as to how/why my submission flopped or fell apart like it did. I will admit there was a bit of emotion behind it, but that's human, isn't it?

Edited by NovaTempest

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
17,099 battles
40 minutes ago, NovaTempest said:

What does this look like, the world of tanks forums?:Smile_facepalm: (No offense intended)

I was looking for honest opinions like YoshiBlue's, or - though a longshot - a bit of an idea as to why from one of the staff. Not getting flak'd by people for just asking for a little insight as to how/why my submission flopped or fell apart like it did. I will admit there was a bit of emotion behind it, but that's human, isn't it?

lool was just being funny honestly don't read into others decisions or you will try to live based of their expectations ( so try not to care when others reject your art for its merit is based soley on the eye of the beholder) Ive drawn plans for custom homes and what look good to me was different from customers opinion and their final choice to me looked weird but hey it was their money so