You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kuckoo

Received a Mystery Gift

30 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

I was recently going through some old unopened emails and, to my surprise, discovered one notifying me that I had been sent a gift, the Tier VII Sims.  The email had been there awhile, about two weeks, before I opened it.  The sender's name was not recognizable which immediately raised a red flag, but the accompanying text was "signed" by a well-known forum member which was immediately recognizable.

I'm aware of the revenge gift scams and other troll gift shenanigans, and frankly, I don't normally see myself as one which another would genuinely feel compelled to send gifts to.  So, I'm wary of this.  Haven't opened the gift and there is still a couple of weeks before it expires.

On the other hand, I'd feel awfully stupid and regretfully unappreciative if it turns out that it really was a genuine gesture and I just let it sit and expire anyway.

I messaged the parties involved and waiting on their replies, but wanted to hear you opinions on the matter.  Anyone experience this before and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks.

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,098 battles
Just now, Kuckoo said:

I was recently going through some old unopened emails and, to my surprise, discovered one notifying me that I had been sent a gift, the Tier VII Sims.  The email had been there awhile, about two weeks, before I opened it.  The sender's name was not recognizable which immediately raised a red flag, but the accompanying text was "signed" by a well-known forum member which was immediately recognizable.

I'm aware of the revenge gift scams and other troll gift shenanigans, and frankly, I don't normally see myself as one which another would genuinely feel compelled to send gifts to.  So, I'm wary of this.  Haven't opened the gift and there is still a couple of weeks before it expires.

On the other hand, I'd feel awfully stupid and regretfully unappreciative if it turns out that it really was a genuine gesture and I just let it sit and expire anyway.

I messaged the parties involved and waiting on their replies, but wanted to hear you opinions on the matter.  Anyone experience this before and if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks.

Have you actually been added on a new ship "Sims" in your port? or the email requires you to click some web link to "get" the ship?

I believe the real gift will just pop out in your account without asking you do anything.

the virus usually "asks" you to click something. 

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
7 minutes ago, Houselei said:

Have you actually been added on a new ship "Sims" in your port? or the email requires you to click some web link to "get" the ship?

I believe the real gift will just pop out in your account without asking you do anything.

I didn't touch any links in the email.

I logged in and typed the url to WG's gift page, and the Sims is there, but I haven't clicked [ACCEPT GIFT].

The Sims is not in my port, but I wouldn't expect it to unless I accepted it.

Edited by Kuckoo

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

I think if you are gifted something, you have to log into the Premium Shop and click on the button to collect your gift. If it is any other site than WG Premium Shop, I would be extremely wary especially if you don't really know the person that sent it. . .

Edited by syd_

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,098 battles
Just now, Kuckoo said:

I didn't touch any links on the email.

I logged in and typed the url to WG's gift page, and the Sims is there, but I haven't clicked [ACCEPT GIFT].

if it's WG official website, in my opinion, you don't need to worry.

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles
1 minute ago, Houselei said:

Yeah exactly. Any other site or link would be highly questionable.

[HINON]
Members
10,663 posts
2 minutes ago, Houselei said:

What can happen though is if you accept a gift from someone you don't know they can initiate a charge back after you accept and then your account is also held responsible. 

• Cool 2

[TBOW]
Members
1,746 posts
12,115 battles

As long as it took you too the WG official site, you are fine.  Someone just sent you a gift.  Maybe you had a birthday recently?  Usually tells you who sent you the gift.  Who the player was who sent it to you.

Members
2,400 posts
8,995 battles
30 minutes ago, Houselei said:

This is not true.  I received gift in wows, from a RL friend.  I was not aware I was gifted anything until he told me he send a gift, so first I waited a bit, and then wanted to contact support.  Turns out the gift was in the email linked to my account, and I had to click a link to get it.  Once I did all that, I got the gift in the game.  So it does not just pop out in your account.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
14 minutes ago, gcangel82 said:

As long as it took you too the WG official site, you are fine.  Someone just sent you a gift.  Maybe you had a birthday recently?  Usually tells you who sent you the gift.  Who the player was who sent it to you.

That's the thing, though.  I've had no recent birthday or any other event.  The gift is just straight out of the blue.

The gifter's username mentioned on the accompanying text on the official gift page is a recognizable forum member and in good standing - though not someone I normally communicate with.  But the username on the account that actually sent the gift is different and unrecognizable, and is very marginal with no random battles and very few co-op battles participated.  That is what gives me pause...

Edited by Kuckoo

[BYOB]
Members, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
747 posts
1,976 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

But the user account that actually sent the gift is different and unrecognizable, and is very marginal with no random battles and very few co-op battles participated.  That is what gives me pause...

Maybe it's someone you know who has a mysterious gifter alt account? :D

[PROJX]
Members
1,010 posts
18,364 battles
7 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

That's the thing, though.  I've had no recent birthday or any other event.  The gift is just straight out of the blue.

The gifter's name mentioned on the accompanying text on the official gift page is recognizable forum member and in good standing - though not someone I normally communicate with.  But the user account that actually sent the gift is different and unrecognizable, and is very marginal with no random battles and very few co-op battles participated.  That is what gives me pause...

The last part of your account seems to be highly suspicious & RipNuN2 may be right.   I think you’ve taken the right precaution w/ trying to contact the supposed gift-giver to confirm before accepting it.

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,231 battles

Definitely wait until you hear back from the forum user involved.  This may just be gossip, but I've heard of cases of scam artists abusing Wargaming's business practices, which appears to be essentially trolling.  They'll gift an item and then stop payment through the banking system involved. 

Once that happens WG's recourse is not to remove the item gifted, but lock the "recipient's" account until payment is received.  This practice is apparently covered somewhere in the TOS.  As far as I know there isn't any financial gain from the process for the scammer, but it does cause frustration on the part of the "recipient."

Of course it may be a simple gift.  Trust, but verify, y'know?  Maybe @Radar_X or @Gneisenau013 could check into this as well?

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
  • Cool 2

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,442 posts
4,559 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

The gifter's username mentioned on the accompanying text on the official gift page is a recognizable forum member and in good standing - though not someone I normally communicate with.  But the username on the account that actually sent the gift is different and unrecognizable, and is very marginal with no random battles and very few co-op battles participated.  That is what gives me pause...

i accepted like maybe 15-20 gifts in the last 2-3 years and none have ever done a charge back on me. so if you want to take a small risk accepting the gift, that good on you. If not, reject it

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles

I have never had any issues giving or receiving a gift via the premium shop. As long as you see it on https://www.worldofwarships.com , after logging in, the. it should be fine.

I occasionally gave out stuff when I was streaming, or if I saw someone doing exceptionally well to carry the team.

[HEROS]
Members
1,567 posts
13,487 battles

Stop being so paranoid and go get yer DD.   Honestly if some body wanted  to mine yer personal information to rip you off.. first ya gotta have something worth stealing..   2.  There's easier ways to do so, and they don't require even contacting you in any way what so ever.

Beta Testers
1,938 posts
10,762 battles
25 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Definitely wait until you hear back from the forum user involved.  This may just be gossip, but I've heard of cases of scam artists abusing Wargaming's business practices, which appears to be essentially trolling.  They'll gift an item and then stop payment through the banking system involved. 

Once that happens WG's recourse is not to remove the item gifted, but lock the "recipient's" account until payment is received.  This practice is apparently covered somewhere in the TOS.  As far as I know there isn't any financial gain from the process for the scammer, but it does cause frustration on the part of the "recipient."

Of course it may be a simple gift.  Trust, but verify, y'know?  Maybe @Radar_X or @Gneisenau013 could check into this as well?

-R

This. In those case, the ill-intended gifters are not out to gain personal information and whatnot. They are essentially doing a cyber-swatting. They are to harm, not to gain.

There's still a good chance it's a real gift to OP. But hearing some of the stories before makes one wonder a bit.

[SOFOP]
Members
745 posts
6,755 battles

Punish the recipient of a gift, and not the gifter.  That makes a ton of sense.....

Why wouldn't they just, you know, remove what was gifted or put a lock on that?  I understand they are trying to prevent it entirely as I imagine it causes problems, but that's just asking for abuse.

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

Thanks.

Yeah I had a similar event happen to me.  I was upset about some of WG'ing decisions and was very vocal about it on the forums.  Someone I didn't know, in response to one of my posts, decided to gift with me with a Tier 4 BB.  He included a long note explaining why he was gifting it to me which honestly made a lot of sense at least in context to my post.  After agonizing over accepting it or not because of WG's extremely strict policy concerning gifts, I decided to take the chance and accept.  In the end everything turned out legit and the person who gifted me the ship had some long PMs about things for quite some time after it.  

The problem though is that I took a big chance with the gift as I guess it is a 1 strike your out sort of thing with no appeals if you accept a gift and it turns out that gift was not from a legit source.  Honestly I do understand to a degree why they do this especially if someone is using stolen credit card info to buy gifts for themselves or whatever but you shouldn't have to agonize about someone sending you a gift wondering if you accept it, if your account will get banned.  Instead if the gift turns out to be fraudulent for whatever reason the should just remove the gift from your inventory and issues you a warning.  If it happens again to the same account, then ban the account or whatever but if WG is going to offer the option to give gifts, then then need to have it so people can feel free to accept them without being afraid of losing the account due to someone griefing or trolling them for revenge, just for kicks or whatever. 

Members
1,819 posts
6 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yeah I had a similar event happen to me.  I was upset about some of WG'ing decisions and was very vocal about it on the forums.  Someone I didn't know, in response to one of my posts, decided to gift with me with a Tier 4 BB.  He included a long note explaining why he was gifting it to me which honestly made a lot of sense at least in context to my post.  After agonizing over accepting it or not because of WG's extremely strict policy concerning gifts, I decided to take the chance and accept.  In the end everything turned out legit and the person who gifted me the ship had some long PMs about things for quite some time after it.  

The problem though is that I took a big chance with the gift as I guess it is a 1 strike your out sort of thing with no appeals if you accept a gift and it turns out that gift was not from a legit source.  Honestly I do understand to a degree why they do this especially if someone is using stolen credit card info to buy gifts for themselves or whatever but you shouldn't have to agonize about someone sending you a gift wondering if you accept it, if your account will get banned.  Instead if the gift turns out to be fraudulent for whatever reason the should just remove the gift from your inventory and issues you a warning.  If it happens again to the same account, then ban the account or whatever but if WG is going to offer the option to give gifts, then then need to have it so people can feel free to accept them without being afraid of losing the account due to someone griefing or trolling them for revenge, just for kicks or whatever. 

With a policy this stupid, Im actually surprised there isnt more trolling. Especially of high profile players. Though I guess the victim could always decide to just pay for the "gift"

Edited by Kconvey_1

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Well, seems it all worked out.

The gift sender contacted me and explained what was going on, and given the details, it all made sense.  Went ahead and accepted the gift without reservation.  Still, glad I checked first.

A hearty "thank you" to him.  A very surprising and generous gesture, indeed.  There is some goodness out there after all.

Won't be forgotten.  :Smile_great:

• Cool 3

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Well, seems it all worked out.

The gift sender contacted me and explained what was going on, and given the details, it all made sense.  Went ahead and accepted the gift without reservation.  Still, glad I checked first.

A hearty "thank you" to him.  A very surprising and generous gesture, indeed.  There is some goodness out there after all.

Won't be forgotten.  :Smile_great:

Kuckoo

It is surprising when someone does it isn't it? I have had three person gift me two ships and one Captain and I could of been push over by a feather each time.

I am happy it turn out okay for you, enjoy the ship!