You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

My Navy Days

50 comments in this topic

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles

1st off I am sorry about the quality of these pictures. A while back I was chatting with @MaliceA4Thoughtwell it turns out we may served on the same operation. It took me a while to find my cruise book, so I brought it in to scan, but of coarse the scanner is not working, plus the book is getting older (from the 1980s) so I just took some pictures.

One of these Pictures is of me with some of my crew having "fun" in Lisbon. (I am the one with glasses on).

And one is from Gibraltar, RN Staff came on board my ship and I was impressed with the Officer's beard, in the USN our Officers are not permitted beards.  

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Cool 7

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,215 posts
14,118 battles

I allways appreciate those you served in the real Military. 

I was in Air Force, 1983-1989. Been to a few Navy bases and was surprised at the separation of enlisted and officers.

I was enlisted flight crew on Cargo plane.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I allways appreciate those you served in the real Military. 

I was in Air Force, 1983-1989. Been to a few Navy bases and was surprised at the separation of enlisted and officers.

I was enlisted flight crew on Cargo plane.

Well thank you for you service:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
1,770 posts
11,151 battles

Even though I'm in Canada I thank you for your service. If it wasn't for the United States we would be part of Russia by now.

[WOLF9]
Members
789 posts
5,790 battles
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Even though I'm in Canada I thank you for your service. If it wasn't for the United States we would be part of Russia by now.

Starting to hear this from Canadian's more and more as opposed to the completely opposite attitude. It does not go unappreciated. Greenpeace and their ilk were pretty vocal about the USN not being welcome as far as they were concerned last time I was up north in uniform. Maybe I'm just meeting a better class of Canadian's these days!?  

• Cool 2

[PNG]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,039 posts
6,583 battles
17 minutes ago, Curly__san said:

Starting to hear this from Canadian's more and more as opposed to the completely opposite attitude. It does not go unappreciated. Greenpeace and their ilk were pretty vocal about the USN not being welcome as far as they were concerned last time I was up north in uniform. Maybe I'm just meeting a better class of Canadian's these days!?  

I think the majority of Canadians recognize what the US has done for our joint security XD

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,215 posts
14,118 battles
2 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thank you very much.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,215 posts
14,118 battles
2 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

And you sir, thank you for your service. 

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
10 minutes ago, iChase said:

I think the majority of Canadians recognize what the US has done for our joint security XD

I sure most do, and some of us south of you recognize all you did during the two World Wars.:Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,215 posts
14,118 battles
11 minutes ago, iChase said:

I could get cheesy and say I love Canada' s contribution to bacon, but their smoked meat, i.e. pastrami, is way better. 

AND, let us not forget all the Canadians that have served in WW1, WW2, KOREA, AND Vietnam.

They may not be as loud in their veteans ranks, but their contributions have allways been Welcome.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles

See soon as met any person who served their country, they have my respect until they prove me wrong. This even goes for former foes of my country, and I mean the fight men and women, not some thug who puts on a uniform and does not fight.

[FACT]
[FACT]
Members
543 posts
7,767 battles
3 hours ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

1st off I am sorry about the quality of these pictures. A while back I was chatting with @MaliceA4Thoughtwell it turns out we may served on the same operation. It took me a while to find my cruise book, so I brought it in to scan, but of coarse the scanner is not working, plus the book is getting older (from the 1980s) so I just took some pictures.

One of these Pictures is of me with some of my crew having "fun" in Lisbon. (I am the one with glasses on).

And one is from Gibraltar, RN Staff came on board my ship and I was impressed with the Officer's beard, in the USN our Officers are not permitted beards.  

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Good to see you (back) Chaos.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

AND, let us not forget all the Canadians that have served in WW1, WW2, KOREA, AND Vietnam.

They may not be as loud in their veteans ranks, but their contributions have allways been Welcome.

Yes they have been.

Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Gruntdog_3 said:

Good to see you (back) Chaos.

Thanks Gruntdog_3:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

I always wondered if you Navy guys or we Army guys got to see more. I think you all got to travel to more places but we got to spend more time outdoors, unless you consider the deck of a ship outdoors, which I suppose it is. I've known a few Navy and Coast Guard guys and they all got good training that they could directly apply to civilian jobs if they wanted to. My job (medic) was applicable too but a lot of the specialties in the Army had no direct civilian counterpart.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF9]
Members
789 posts
5,790 battles
2 hours ago, iChase said:

Thanks iChase. We American's and Canadian's have a lot more good cooperative history than some would like us to know. What rankles my hide now days is not Canada's fault: Namely that I have to have a passport now to visit Even Norther Dakota!? :Smile_hiding:

*Note for the humor impaired; I am kidding. It's really all about:  54-40' or Fight! (Yes I am that old, or I read history, or both. Also: still kidding..)

Edited by Curly__san

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,914 battles
3 hours ago, Curly__san said:

Most Canadians i have discussed it with are objective enough to realize that America offers a sizeable measure of security, if just by status and proximity.

Unfortunately, few Americans recognize the same of Canada.

James Mattis (US SecDef) has a quote out there to the effect of, he has never participated in an american only conflict. Every action taken has been supported by multiple allies.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,479 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I always wondered if you Navy guys or we Army guys got to see more. I think you all got to travel to more places but we got to spend more time outdoors, unless you consider the deck of a ship outdoors, which I suppose it is. I've known a few Navy and Coast Guard guys and they all got good training that they could directly apply to civilian jobs if they wanted to. My job (medic) was applicable too but a lot of the specialties in the Army had no direct civilian counterpart.

I was also an EN2. Served on the Springfield and Little Rock from '71-'75. (both originally Cleveland Class Cruisers) The training I got worked out well for me. I went into plant maintenance, within a year I was the Department Supervisor, within another 7 years, and a lot of night classes I was a manufacturing engineer. Another 5 years and I was the engineering department manager, and within another 5 years a plant manager. I credit not only the technical training and experience I received in the Navy, but also the leadership training and experience. It worked out well for me. Retired now and the only time I spend on the water is when I'm fishing or playing this game.   

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

As a US Navy veteran, there are times I miss being at sea. 

But do you still remember some of the sh*t details you had to do in those days? :Smile_Default:

Even after retiring from the USMC (yes, I know strange considering my WoWS handle), I can still vividly remember some of the dumb stuff I had to do, alongside the good stuff.  I really loved the structure and variety of military life, the places you can go that most civilians don't see, but I can still cringe at some of the bad stuff.

The travel alone was unique though.  Consider most of your friends in civilian life.  They'd be lucky to leave their town / city / local area.  In the military, you can be stationed in the continental US, but you can still go for months at a time in some far off places.  Sure, sometimes it sucked a** like being on a NATO exercise in the dead of winter, in the field in Norway freezing my a** off, but when you talk about it, your friends that don't travel, see places are just blown away.  But you get moments like:

Being in the Mediterranean.

Hitting ports around the Pacific.

Visiting foreign countries (my friend did 3 years Embassy Duty in the Marine Corps, and his first post was... Paris, France!:Smile_great:  I still remember his first letter he sent to the shop he came from in El Toro, complete with a picture of him and his new Parisian girlfriend.  Lucky bast@rd).

Etc.

I still remember my first time on a USN vessel at sea, it was just a short training detachment with my squadron, VMFAT-101 from Miramar.  We were aboard USS Stennis for this training det for a few weeks.  I remember when the CV left port and we were well out to see, but flight operations were not starting yet.  I was already geared up to be on the flight deck, waiting for it all to start, but I was on one of the forward, starboard catwalks to the side of the flight deck.  I just stood there staring at the open ocean, the cool ocean breeze in a bright, sunny summer day, fresh air, no noise (no flight ops yet LOL).  Definitely a nice moment.

On the flip side, was one of the guys in my shop, an AEAN for the Navy.  He was 5 feet away from me, hunched over the rail, sea sick and puking his guts out.

"Bro, you are in the wrong service if you are sea sick aboard a large, stable vessel like a Carrier.  You better be happy you're not in a frigate or something that actually bounces and rolls." :Smile_teethhappy:

Some stupid fun moments, like asking a buddy on the flight deck, "Hey, who am I?"  Then you do a slow motion walk strut through the catapult steam.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

But do you still remember some of the sh*t details you had to do in those days? :Smile_Default:

Even after retiring from the USMC (yes, I know strange considering my WoWS handle), I can still vividly remember some of the dumb stuff I had to do, alongside the good stuff.  I really loved the structure and variety of military life, the places you can go that most civilians don't see, but I can still cringe at some of the bad stuff.

The travel alone was unique though.  Consider most of your friends in civilian life.  They'd be lucky to leave their town / city / local area.  In the military, you can be stationed in the continental US, but you can still go for months at a time in some far off places.  Sure, sometimes it sucked a** like being on a NATO exercise in the dead of winter, in the field in Norway freezing my a** off, but when you talk about it, your friends that don't travel, see places are just blown away.  But you get moments like:

Being in the Mediterranean.

Hitting ports around the Pacific.

Visiting foreign countries (my friend did 3 years Embassy Duty in the Marine Corps, and his first post was... Paris, France!:Smile_great:  I still remember his first letter he sent to the shop he came from in El Toro, complete with a picture of him and his new Parisian girlfriend.  Lucky bast@rd).

Etc.

I still remember my first time on a USN vessel at sea, it was just a short training detachment with my squadron, VMFAT-101 from Miramar.  We were aboard USS Stennis for this training det for a few weeks.  I remember when the CV left port and we were well out to see, but flight operations were not starting yet.  I was already geared up to be on the flight deck, waiting for it all to start, but I was on one of the forward, starboard catwalks to the side of the flight deck.  I just stood there staring at the open ocean, the cool ocean breeze in a bright, sunny summer day, fresh air, no noise (no flight ops yet LOL).  Definitely a nice moment.

On the flip side, was one of the guys in my shop, an AEAN for the Navy.  He was 5 feet away from me, hunched over the rail, sea sick and puking his guts out.

"Bro, you are in the wrong service if you are sea sick aboard a large, stable vessel like a Carrier.  You better be happy you're not in a frigate or something that actually bounces and rolls." :Smile_teethhappy:

Some stupid fun moments, like asking a buddy on the flight deck, "Hey, who am I?"  Then you do a slow motion walk strut through the catapult steam.

True, I served as a gunners mate on the USS Iowa BB61 in 16-inch turret one in the late 80's. She leaked hydraulic fluid so bad, I am talking FIVE to TEN gallons A DAY. in the compartments on the electrical deck, it would be three or four inches deep. Every day It was one of my jobs to clean it up. Once it got to the point where you couldn't scoop it with a bucket anymore you used a sponge to soak it up and squeeze it out in a bucket. It took up about 4 hours a day every day. I don't miss that!!!!!!

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Even after retiring from the USMC

Speaking of Marines, an old fellow who built a house that I once lived in as a kid just died. He used to tell a lot of funny stories, like the time he went to the bank to borrow money for a barn and they told him he needed a down payment, so he asked the bank if he could borrow that too (they gave him both loans). He was mainly a rancher and then, after he got too old to ranch, a ranching consultant. Oh, and he also was a Marine sergeant at Okinawa.

Marine-assault-okinawa-1945.jpg

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts
9 hours ago, Curly__san said:

Thanks iChase. We American's and Canadian's have a lot more good cooperative history than some would like us to know. What rankles my hide now days is not Canada's fault: Namely that I have to have a passport now to visit Even Norther Dakota!? :Smile_hiding:

*Note for the humor impaired; I am kidding. It's really all about:  54-40' or Fight! (Yes I am that old, or I read history, or both. Also: still kidding..)

Don't conflate the US people with the US government. Government has gotten so big that it's barely controlled by people anymore but has taken on a life of its own. I used to travel out of the country all the time and I've never had a passport (of course, a lot of it was while I was in the Army too). I may never travel out of the US again because it rankles me to have to purchase and renew a passport. In fact, I rarely now travel withing 100 miles of the border because of the way the Border Patrol treats everyone, foreigners and US citizens alike, at their checkpoints. When I used to travel to Canada a lot I found Canadian border agents a lot more friendly than their US counterparts. There is no reason that US border agents shouldn't be able to be cordial and do their job too but the system tends to hire megalomaniacs who like to lord over people.

Funny border story:

I once was going to travel into Canada and forgot that I had a combo rifle/shotgun with me until they asked. They said "no problem; here, just tag it and pick it up on your way back down to the States." When I picked the firearm up a few weeks later I noticed it had been cleaned and oiled. I commented on it and they said that they hoped I didn't mind but they had taken it out and shot it as they had not seen a combo rifle shotgun before. They also gave me a box of .22 shells and some left over shotgun shells. Of course, when I crossed over into the US I was treated like a criminal by the US Border Patrol, who seemed to go out of their way to be rude and belligerent.         

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1