You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

Henry IV - Double Rudder or Concealment.

28 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
795 posts
8,315 battles

I purchased the Henry yesterday - and am enjoying the HE pain it can bring!  Bow tanking BBs and Moskvas beware - ha ha!

Just wondering how folks are setting up the ship.

With the concealment module (and the skipper skill as well as camo) - concealment gets down to 12.2km (or there-abouts?).

Thing is - in pretty much every match I've played, I never really stopped shooting - so concealment was a bit of a non-factor.  I went in close a few times, near end of game - but I was pretty careful to mask the approach with land, as 12.2km is still being seen a long way away (pretty sure my Miss has better concealment than that!).

It made me wonder if going for the second rudder module might be a better choice, as its all about speed-boost stutter stepping, and hard over turns to keep Henry in the match till the end.

Just wondering how other folks have their ship set up, and what they have found works best for them.

TIA!

• Cool 1

[MIA]
Clan Supertest Coordinator, Supertester
6,453 posts
7,858 battles

60% rudder imho is not viable, stay at a safe range so you can time your turns from broadside shots. If 10km and closer forget getting the back guns to bear.

Concealment lets you escape the enemy, 60% rudder doesn't.

There definitely are times where it will come in handy, letting you escape from 5% health to heal instead of dying.. etc.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
21,698 posts
22,013 battles

Maybe it's a French BB thing, but I thought that the 6th slot Rudder upgrade wasn't available for battleships, only cruisers and DDs.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,297 posts
12,509 battles
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

wasn't available for battleships

HIV is cruiser, t10

My HIV is hybrid rudder/CE, as I also used WASD's hack. So far so good.

• Cool 1

[YAN]
Members
1,691 posts
8,085 battles
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Maybe it's a French BB thing, but I thought that the 6th slot Rudder upgrade wasn't available for battleships, only cruisers and DDs.

Henri is a cruiser.

[SALVO]
Members
21,698 posts
22,013 battles
12 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Henri is a cruiser.

:Smile_facepalm:

My bad.

:Smile_hiding:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,240 posts
19,617 battles
42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

SGM3 is only for DDs & Cruisers.  I mean, I don't want to imagine what my Alabama could do with Double Rudder Mods :Smile_teethhappy:

[SPTR]
Members
26,753 posts
13,493 battles

I take dual rudders on mine so I can shellbeat BB guns to the point that people even in the enemy team compliment my driving /^.\\ look at these chats!

unknown.png

shot-17.12.12_00.10.13-0451.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
4 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I purchased the Henry yesterday - and am enjoying the HE pain it can bring!  Bow tanking BBs and Moskvas beware - ha ha!

With the concealment module (and the skipper skill as well as camo) - concealment gets down to 12.2km (or there-abouts?).

Thing is - in pretty much every match I've played, I never really stopped shooting - so concealment was a bit of a non-factor.  I went in close a few times, near end of game - but I was pretty careful to mask the approach with land, as 12.2km is still being seen a long way away (pretty sure my Miss has better concealment than that!).

It made me wonder if going for the second rudder module might be a better choice, as its all about speed-boost stutter stepping, and hard over turns to keep Henry in the match till the end.

Just wondering how other folks have their ship set up, and what they have found works best for them.

TIA!

Congrats on getting Henri, Tapp! He's a good wee boat! I personally think the concealment is more useful but have seen a lot of players play well with rudder. Have you watched any vids to see which one more suits your style? 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,355 posts
21,651 battles
5 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Thing is - in pretty much every match I've played, I never really stopped shooting - so concealment was a bit of a non-factor

Same w/my St L (haven't gotten Henri yet) which is why I went for 60% rudder (& if that is in fact how you run it...as you said yourself...the CE is a wasted skill)...w/Priority Target, Adrenalin Rush & engine boost upgrade you can even charge up quick to caps to get some early rounds into a DD or 2 & boost out dodging most that comes your way & charging your AR w/the few that hit you (actually best to take a couple BB cits at start to give you the faster ROF-from AR-to help tank out a DD or 2 on that initial charge) then heal it back up as you just duck & dodge away while boosted tanking CA/CLs & burning BBs to the waterline.

You can easily dance against 3 BBs at once from about 13-15km while being cross fired from them all & switching between them spamming HE catching 1 on fire then the next then the next then back to the 1st then back to the 2nd then...well...you get the idea...next to the stock guns on the Mogami they seem to have the best chance to get Whitherer w/that method.

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,183 posts
11,571 battles
4 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

I take dual rudders on mine so I can shellbeat BB guns to the point that people even in the enemy team compliment my driving /^.\\ look at these chats!

unknown.png

shot-17.12.12_00.10.13-0451.jpg

I went with the double rudder to do as Rolkatsuki does as above . Got my first 'Witherer' achievement in her .  I did really like the ability to dodge incoming shells at long ranges and some times medium range also .

7 hours ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

TIA!

Of course Rolkatsuki appears to be much better at it then I ever was . lol   

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[DD214]
Members
784 posts
27,742 battles

Henri is a great boat and can be played a lot like a bigger Khabarovsk. It's very addictive to farm fire damage with HE and collect Witherer and Arsonist awards. Keep in mid that her guns are the largest for any cruiser and use AP on broadside targets. I've gotten a 24K salvo on a BB once with perfect rng.  

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
26,753 posts
13,493 battles

With dual rudders you can charge a BB at an angle(somewhere around 30° from pointing your bow directly at them or to just enough to get the rear main battery on the action) and they fire you jam your rudder into the shots so these BB shells will very bounce off your side or fly pass you.

Works well especially with engine boost active, this dodging tactic working up to as close as 8km away from the enemy BB you're charging.

Members
348 posts
5,920 battles

I currently have concealment on her but I think it might be worth trying the double rudder. You might get more benefit from it. I'm certainly going to try it a little down the track. You can always switch it back if it doesn't work out for you.

• Cool 2

[WOLF4]
Members
795 posts
8,315 battles

So I switched over to double rudder - and I prefer it, which I thought I might, as its more fun to drive maneuverable boats (imho, of course).

Lost a couple of KM of concealment - but once the initial engagement begins, the guns are firing pretty much non-stop, anyway - and with a 19km bloom, well... concealment becomes a relative thing anyway!

If I'm looking to get in close, I'm just careful to use islands to mask, and the double rudder allows one to maneuver more easily with land close-aboard.

Good call on the AP, as well @Seamus_44 - spent my first handful of games slinging HE exclusively - but wow - that AP hits hard!  Love catching a cruiser looking the other way for a double cit.  Haven't got a DS with it yet - but its only a matter of time.  It sure chips the damage points off BBs, as well.  Thanks for the tip!

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
1,027 posts
8,367 battles

Steering gear mod 3 + propulsion mod is another option.

Propulsion mod + speed boost can let you go from reversing to forward very quickly. Very useful combination when you are kiting at low speed.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
795 posts
8,315 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 2:25 AM, WolfofWarship said:

Congrats on getting Henri, Tapp! He's a good wee boat! I personally think the concealment is more useful but have seen a lot of players play well with rudder. Have you watched any vids to see which one more suits your style? 

I watched a number of videos - seems like most people play the ship in the same manner, which is how I was playing it - HE at range, trying to make BBs burn their damage control.

Then I happened across this guys review of the Henry - he plays the ship as a bow-on, speed boosting, AP firing, torpedo slinging, wrecking machine.

I think I'll try that - seems like it can work pretty well - and would be more fun than shooting HE at range.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,865 posts
11,775 battles

Henri best BB                                                                                     HenriBB.jpg.f650b2d6423e90a60083717a9975c916.jpg

I used to play Henri with full concealment build, it worked but then I realise I couldn't properly avoid shell with the stupid ruddershift. I either had to shoot from distance using this slow and lazy arc to hit target while dodging shell or come closer and hit target but get hit in return because of the bad ruddershift time.

Eventually I went for double rudder shift and even if my concealment is worst than some BB ( WG pls fix this nonsense) it allowed me to survive more often and with Vigilence, dodging torpedo is as easy as in a DD. Also if you plan to run double rudder module you really need to learn how to angle against incoming shell. If you do well, you can greatly reduce BB AP damage 

Now I watched the video and :

-First no PT ? I hope you are often paying attention to your surrounding because if you don't, you'll die quickly.  PT is a must have especially if you're planning on rushing someone. 

-He did mention switching DE for Vigilence which I agree. You don't really need DE, just add some flags if you really want

-You can run Speed Boost instead of stearing gears mod. Unlike other French CA, Henri has really good stearing which doesn't break after 1 HE shell landing next to you. To be honest I almost never had my stearing jammed except if some BB shoot HE at me or if RNG decide to screw me against some cruiser. 

-Angling bows on ? No, just no really no. The Kurfust who shot him had an easy time landing his citadel because he tanked bows on. Your bow is 25mm, not 27 or 32. If you tank bow on you'll get citadel to death.

-Again he got lucky when he rushed the Iowa. He didn't really had choice to charge bows on here but that could have been a Devastating Strike

-Maybe this guys should stop drinking too much coffee lol

Members
4,109 posts
15,170 battles

I got Henri yesterday and tried her out in 5 Randoms today, after a few battles in Co-Op to get acquainted with her. I use Propulsion Mod and Steering Gears Mod 3. I know that I'm going to get detected as soon as I shoot and the faster rudder shift helps dodge the blizzard of BB fire that comes my way from every BB that has me in range a lot better than -10% concealment will.

[CVA16]
Members
3,639 posts
11,935 battles
On 4/21/2018 at 5:02 PM, Seamus_44 said:

Double rudder, she needs to dance.

Of course you will need to dance very well when you are the first ship the enemy detects and your PT counter jumps to 12.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,639 posts
11,935 battles
On 4/21/2018 at 5:02 PM, Seamus_44 said:

Double rudder, she needs to dance.

Of course you will need to dance very well when you are the first ship the enemy detects and your PT counter jumps to 12. On the other hand, even with concealment, you are one of the first ships detected even if you haven't fired.

Edited by Sabot_100

[KILL]
Members
61 posts
7,521 battles

I've tried both and went with concealment.  At 15km+ range, I can dodge most shots if I'm going full speed.  You really only need the rudder if going to YOLO.

HIV is one of those ships that will get 6 ships targeting him when spotted.  So I avoid that at all costs.

Here's a replay of me doing both long range fire starting and up close battleship killing.

20180423_012813_PFSC110-Henri-IV_28_naval_mission YAMMY DOWN.wowsreplay

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,639 posts
11,935 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Vakko said:

I with legendary module, I don't have either lol.

With the legendary mod  you can now be  spotted by red team from the team screen.:cap_look:

• Funny 1