You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Ugh, freddy

11 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,705 posts
9,439 battles

Took her out for one match w/ clanmates last night and quickly reminded how much I dislike her. Full secondary spec and the campy playstyle plus number of torp DDs means rarely get to use her secondary build to great effect. Pics below of current builds:

a8AQXgP.jpg

yHlrKTN.jpg

Asked, and one of my clanmates states the freddy's like Izumo, a problem child you suffer through to get the GK w/her monster secondaries.

Seriously thinking about respeccing my freddy around survival/AA build. Secondary build requires some good positioning and luck to put to good use since German BBs are not stealthy. OTOH, the medium-range AA on her looks powerful.

• Cool 1

[VW]
Members
2,420 posts
14,222 battles

Been ignoring her for the same reasons as you. Might gonna have to free xp, just dont see the point in any of the non dd tier 9 ships, they are all horrendously inferior to tier 10, are guaranteed money losers and destined to be sold anyway...

[PVE]
Members
2,878 posts
21,360 battles
7 hours ago, Reymu said:

campy playstyle

& there's your problem...KM BBs have terrible accuracy at long ranges...they are made for following DDs & CA/CLs into caps where there (oops) their hydro & exceptional turn radius (when equipped w/20% upgrade) & 2ndary builds make them a DDs nightmares & brings them close in for tanking out CA/CLs  & chasing down other "wanna be camping" BBs w/close in broadsides.

If you're camping in a KM BB you might as well be parked in port because that's about the same effectiveness.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
10,632 posts

I went for rof with the Freddy and it helps but it is hard to get close in those matches.  Have to position well to shoot stuff but not get focused down.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,705 posts
9,439 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

& there's your problem...KM BBs have terrible accuracy at long ranges...they are made for following DDs & CA/CLs into caps where there (oops) their hydro & exceptional turn radius (when equipped w/20% upgrade) & 2ndary builds make them a DDs nightmares & brings them close in for tanking out CA/CLs  & chasing down other "wanna be camping" BBs w/close in broadsides.

If you're camping in a KM BB you might as well be parked in port because that's about the same effectiveness.

Problem is Freddy is slower to get into position and the camp playstyle means more distance to cover. Lot less forgiving than Bismarck and Tirpitz. So have to rely on teammates being aggressive, and often that's not gonna happen. Plus like any T9 BB Freddy isn't going to get out of dodge quickly when focused down, and hardly anyone in Randoms knows how to support a BB getting in place to support a push.

I don't know, might simply FXP to GK and sell this bucket. Wonder if this is one BB I don't click with. Izumo's main skill is her tankiness for drawing fire. Maybe I should try tank/secondary strategy with Freddy.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,598 posts
8,587 battles
4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I went for rof with the Freddy and it helps but it is hard to get close in those matches.  Have to position well to shoot stuff but not get focused down.

I went for ROI on the Freddy...

Return On Investment

And sold off that hot steaming POS (Pile Of Scrap, - EEAAAAASYYY, mods!) just last week.

40 minutes ago, Reymu said:

I don't know, might simply FXP to GK and sell this bucket. 

keep her as long as you can bear it and save as much Free XP as you can; at 12 rifles, the GK is better, but it still suffers from being built for a playstyle that the T10 environment has left behind. You might find yourself saying in the end that the GK wasn't worth all of the free XP.

[SPTR]
Members
2,205 posts
1,048 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

at 12 rifles, the GK is better, but it still suffers from being built for a playstyle that the T10 environment has left behind.

This is what makes me sad. I really like a secondary build, but the meta is so meh that i'm wondering if continuing down the German BB line is worth it...

Edited by _Maho_Nishizumi_212

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

The meta is severely against the FDG, which, to be honest, is a step down from the Bismark/Tirpitz. 

It's a much bigger target, more clumsy, has only slightly improved armor, only slightly improved ROF (with the module).  The main thing seems to be the 15% bigger HP pool, but, to be honest, that's not anywhere near enough to compensate for the above weaknesses.

Fire Prevention is a MUST with this beast, and even there, it wasn't sufficient to make up the deficiencies.

I sold it ASAP.  The Bismark and GKF are far superior in their respective levels, and T9 isn't particularly advantageous in any case.

[ANZ4C]
Members
185 posts
7,356 battles

I must be in the minority then, love the freddy and kept her after I got the GK. My build is only different in that I use AR and the 420's. Same build and playstyle as the Alsace and i love her too.

Members
1,810 posts
9,660 battles
14 hours ago, EAnybody said:

The meta is severely against the FDG, which, to be honest, is a step down from the Bismark/Tirpitz. 

It's a much bigger target, more clumsy, has only slightly improved armor, only slightly improved ROF (with the module).  The main thing seems to be the 15% bigger HP pool, but, to be honest, that's not anywhere near enough to compensate for the above weaknesses.

Fire Prevention is a MUST with this beast, and even there, it wasn't sufficient to make up the deficiencies.

I sold it ASAP.  The Bismark and GKF are far superior in their respective levels, and T9 isn't particularly advantageous in any case.

Hey

That's exactly how I feel.  She offers very little over Bismarck/Tirpitz in terms of play style.  She is so sluggish, she can't dodge torps and get focused and dies too easily, not a brawler in any sense of the word.  You would think they would get better going up in tier but this is a step down.  Shame too.

Pete

Members
9,522 posts
11,845 battles

rof module,  dispersion module and only FP /CE /aft   build and it was playable.   AFT gave me bit of help with secondary and AA.     I actually won over 60% after I changed over.  stock hull was horrid.