You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JakePostonJake1

Improvements for the U.s.s. Atlanta CL-51 2018

12 comments in this topic

[LRM2]
Members
16 posts
3,952 battles

This topic is about a pesky little ship called Atlanta. There are only 2 classes of this ship in-game being U.s.s. Atlanta and U.s.s. Flint. Both ships are Premium. The Atlanta was for sale for abit of time and the Flint was received in ranked battle.<Fyi>. Getting into the subject the Atlanta is a very difficult ships to play and is very unforgiving and personal its a major turn away for playing the ship. With the Atlanta for your consumables you get a "Stander repair kit,Defensive AA 1 and Radar 1." so comparing the Flint with Atlanta the Flint has smoke from what I last saw.<I could be wrong.> But I think switching the Radar 1 for Smoke 1 would be a better consumable for the Atlanta making it more forgiving and just making it a fun ship to play and enjoy.Ik,Ik some will say that is too OP,but its just my idea of what can Improve the Atlanta,over all the Atlanta has more to go and it can generally be improved for the better.
Image result for uss atlanta

^^^U.s.s. Atlanta CL-51.^^^
Please note,Sorry for the incorrect grammar its not that I don't know how to spell,I speak English well<Lol,I am from the American south.> I just don't pay attention when I should. XD

Edited by JakePostonJake1
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
16 minutes ago, JakePostonJake1 said:

This topic is about a pesky little ship called Atlanta. There are only 2 classes of this this in-game being U.s.s. Atlanta and U.s.s. Flint. Both ships are Premium. The Atlanta was for sale for abit of time and the Flint was received in ranked battle.<Fyi>. Getting into the subject the Atlanta is a very difficult ships to play and is very unforgiving and personal its a major turn away for playing the ship. With the Atlanta for your consumables you get a "Stander repair kit,Defensive AA 1 and Radar 1." so comparing the Flint with Atlanta the Flint has smoke from what I last saw.<I could be wrong.> But I think switching the Radar 1 for Smoke 1 would be a better consumable for the Atlanta making it more forgiving and just making it a fun ship to play and enjoy.Ik,Ik some will say that is too OP,but its just my idea of what can Improve the Atlanta,over all the Atlanta has more to go and it can generally be improved for the better.

The Flint has Smoke instead of Radar, along with vastly better, longer ranged torps.  I do not see WG trading out radar for smoke on the Atlanta.  What I'd love to see is that they give the ATL those same decent torps, because the ones she currently has a freaking suicidal to use.  

I will agree that smoke would make the ATL more survivable and would seem a good fit.  I just don't see it happening, with the Flint having smoke instead of radar already.

[INTEL]
Members
9,806 posts
27,863 battles

Smoke is not necessary. In fact, it would be downright counter productive. Cruisers must be detectable smoke at ranges of between 4 and 8 km. That is Atlanta's ideal shooting range which means that if you are smoked you will be detected right when you are getting reliable hits which defeats the purpose of smoke. 

There is no way to make a meaningful Improvement in the ship's damage output without better torpedoes. I used to believe Atlanta needed a buff 2 years ago but now that it has radar I don't think it can be buffed without making it significantly OP like the Flint. It is already extremely powerful when played skillfully. 

Members
122 posts
4,462 battles

I've played almost a thousand games in the this ship and she is one of my favorites. Very difficult to play but also very rewarding when you can make her perform; certainly elps having a 19 point captain. I've also played the Belfast a lot so have some ideas on what they could do. My top three changes in order of preference:

1. Lower detectability to 8.7km. With full concealment my detectability is down to 9.4km. With a similar build in the Belfast I can get it down to 8.7km (maybe 8.8km). Make it the same as the Belfast. That .5km makes a difference and allows you to detect who is spotting you with radar (8.5km range) almost instantaneously. Alternatively increase radar range to 9.5km

2. Increase the gun range  by 1 or 2km. It has a terrible range and is almost impossible to hit anything > 12km. If you ever come up against an Atlanta, just keep your distance. In the 8 to 9 km range shes deadly though

3. Increase torp range. At 4.5km they are pretty much useless unless you charge someone in a last ditch effort. I would say 6km would be more reasonable. 10km would be insane but hey some ships have it.

If they were to give smoke give her something that lasts like 30 seconds. Enough for you to turn tail and escape rather than sit in and spam HE.

Survivability in the Atlanta is really tough. I can generally survive the whole game in other premiums (Atago, Belfas) but rarely in the ATL and I conisder myself to be a pretty good player

dark.png

Edited by CraftsyDad
  • Cool 2

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles

Not exclusively for Atlanta but other cruisers as well, a defensive smoke consumable you could deploy to escape heavy fire would be cool. It wouldn't allow targeting red ships but afford visibility to navigate. Perth-esque smoke perhaps. Just a thought, maybe not a good one.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Atlanta is hard ship to tame but whenever you do, she is a strong ally in the sea of battle. She takes a lot of practice to master but is definitely worth it in the end

[CWPOI]
Members
42 posts

I play Atlanta as an 'Comfort ship' and have many games with her, but she sure is fun when played properly and can do some good. So i can testify that 'positioning is everything'. as for a general buff making her concealment on par with the Belfast would be nice, if they are running concealment skill that way it would not be ridiculous with like 7.6 km detection.

[WOLF5]
Members
349 posts
6,589 battles

The Atlanta is a real beast in operations, its high rate of fire and unlimited defensive AA fire means red bot DDs and planes become non-issues.  Even in its current form of "hard mode", running operations in an Atlanta usually means you're top of the scoreboard.  Prior to the operation Narai being removed, I used to farm the heck out of it with an Atlanta;  it was nice while it lasted.

[RO-I]
Members
101 posts
7,153 battles

The Atlanta is my favorite ship I play it near every day.  Too bad I am not as good in it as others.   I had to look to see how many battles I had in it; 1451 even with that number I am still learning how to survive. 

I agree it needs a little something; surviving to the end is uncommon.

Concerning concealment, islands are just about the only thing that can protect you.  A little extra concealment would help get you some time to get behind an island when spotted.

Radar:  a little bit longer time and range would be nice.  It seems as if it is not quite long enough to put a convincing end to those DD's that are so miserable to deal with.

The HP is just on the low side.  It needs a bit more.

Torps: So useless that I hardly ever use them.  Occasionally they can be used when a ship is coming around an island but any ship should know better than get within 4 km of an Atlanta.  On the plus side they are fairly fast if only for a short distance.

Guns: As others above mentioned, they are useless at max range, no matter, I have the 13 km range and use it regularly.  You have to zoom out and lead by a great distance but the guns are fast firing enough so you might lite a fire or two even at max range.  I do like getting close in with DD's.  Their guns are not quite enough to deal with the Atlanta but the Atlanta can make fairly quick work of a DD under 5 K.  DD's are generally trying to run and hide from an Atlanta's guns so they typically don't have the correct angle to get their torps off

Smoke: I'd rather have radar, with a little bit of luck and Island nearby it will be almost as good as having smoke without being a torp magnet.

The one thing I have learned about the Atlanta is that it you are very likely to be sunk; it is just a matter of how many ships you can sink first or how much damage you can do.  Atlanta's can, with a bit of luck,  wear a BB down.  The trick is to get them when their guns are facing another  direction and then shoot them as you get behind an island.  BB's don't like the constant pounding even if it is from small guns; eventually you will lite a fire.  With a little luck and a bit of skill, an Atlanta can wreck a Missouri or Iowa.  Know that any BB and many cruisers can devastate an Atlanta. 

In short, be prepared to be sunk at just about any moment, keep firing until that happens.

[ZMZ]
Beta Testers
26 posts
996 battles

I'd love to see the model of Flint receive the correct bridge fitted to the Oakland class ships but I doubt that's high on their list of priorities. ;)