You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Help me identify the battleship in this photo.

8 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,172 posts
1,103 battles

I know it's a South Dakota class, but which one? Picture was sent to me by a co-worker who was curious about it. He says his father in-law served in the Pacific and took the photo.

FullSizeR2.jpg

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,195 posts
2,971 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indiana_(BB-58)

The exact photo is about halfway down. It is the USS Indiana. The only South Dakota class ship in WoWS is Alabama though, so if you're looking for a match in game... That's your best bet

Do I win a cookie?

Edited by IWantedOption1
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

Putting up the ship signal @dseehafer

I think I did that wrong

[BNKR]
Members
1,172 posts
1,103 battles
2 minutes ago, IWantedOption1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indiana_(BB-58)

The exact photo is about halfway down. It is the USS Indiana. The only South Dakota class ship in WoWS is Alabama though, so if you're looking for a match in game... That's your best bet

Nice! Not looking for an in-game match, just trying to help him out. I'm a bit dubious of the claim now, although the fact that it's on Wikipedia doesn't necessarily mean his father in-law didn't take it.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,040 posts
1,117 battles

According to Navsource  that image is of the USS Indiana (BB-58) like people previously mentioned. The photo itself was taken on 8 September 1942 at Hampton Roads, Virginia by a man named Pieter Bakels. So if that's your co-workers father-in-law's name then odds are he did take it.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,172 posts
1,103 battles
3 minutes ago, Gravtech said:

According to Navsource  that image is of the USS Indiana (BB-59) like people previously mentioned. The photo itself was taken on 8 September 1942 at Hampton Roads, Virginia by a man named Pieter Bakels. So if that's your co-workers father-in-law's name then odds are he did take it.

Thanks for finding that. I'll do some gentle prodding and see what shakes out.

[DARTH]
Members
542 posts
12,364 battles
2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I know it's a South Dakota class, but which one? Picture was sent to me by a co-worker who was curious about it. He says his father in-law served in the Pacific and took the photo.

FullSizeR2.jpg

Beautiful - that's a camo (and ship for that matter) I'd love to see in game ... eventually.