Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Keeping the St Louis?

12 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles

Having had the Henri for a while, I was starting to wonder what purpose having the St Louis in my port served. It was a good boat, though I struggled at times.  The Henri seems to do everything better and they face the same ships, have the same playstyle. St Louis can see a Tier 7's but seems most often it is pulled into Tier 10 battles where it is at a bit of a disadvantage.  The cost to run it is almost the same. Probably a question that could apply to all Tier 9 ships once tier 10 is reached. Tier 8s get used in some scenarios so I'll keep the Martel. Same with the Algerie at T7.  It is currently my only Tier 9, any reason to keep it around?

[NASTY]
Beta Testers
296 posts
9,494 battles

Indeed,  the difference in name is Saint Louis  and not St Louis  (can be quite confusing since basically the same name after all)

[VW]
Members
2,429 posts
14,253 battles

I re-bought the st louis strictly for the bots campaign in the anniversary event. She’s still around hoping the event comes back. She used to see omahas etc, i sure do miss loading ap and surprising the heck out of some foolish tier 5 ca thought he would torp a noob lol

Edited by monpetitloup

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

Keep the St. Louis? Yes indeed! I did (long ago and still in port).

If you mean the Saint Louis, I did not. Sold it after getting Henri. Not a bad boat but I have better at the tier. YMMV.

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles

Thought it was obvious since posted on the French Cruiser forum and talking about tier 8-10 ships which Saint Louis I was talking about. No question the tier 3 US is a keeper. Not the same as any other US cruiser. Have a great WR in it.

I tend to keep most of my ships, but realize I don't have time to play them all and time spent playing the lesser ship means I'm not adding XP to the captain I really need/want to. Does WG ever have events/scenarios where you NEED a tier 9?

[O_O]
Members
5,010 posts
11,252 battles

@Sabot_100  But the French cruiser isn't named "St. Louis".

Should it be obvious what you meant by what forum you posted in, or what specific ship you named?

Attention to detail, scrub!  Push up position...DROP!!!

Edited by desmo_2

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles
7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

But the French cruiser isn't named "St. Louis".

Figured it was a language police type of thing. People have to prove how intelligent they are by being dumb. Ignoring context and the fact in North America (which is the forum we are on), it is typical to abbreviate Saint as St.

[O_O]
Members
5,010 posts
11,252 battles
20 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Figured it was a language police type of thing. People have to prove how intelligent they are by being dumb. Ignoring context and the fact in North America (which is the forum we are on), it is typical to abbreviate Saint as St.

Look, I get your argument.  However, it is flawed by one rather glaring fact:  Saint Louis is a ship in game.  St. Louis is a different ship in game.  If you want people to clearly understand what you are talking about, that detail simply has to be considered.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Wow - that went off the rails quickly!

I would have thought the fact the post had been made in the "French Cruisers" section was a pretty fair clue as to the ship being discussed - but I suppose it doesn't serve to let the obvious stand in the way of an opportunity to expound on one's superior knowledge - ha ha!

Now I've digressed, as well!

Back OT - I really enjoyed the S. Louis (will that work without being too overtly ignorant?).  I purchased Henry IV yesterday, and have run it in a few games - but I'm hedging my bets and keeping the S. Louis for the time being.

I've moved a couple 19 point commanders back down to the T9 boats, preferring them to the T10s that followed (DM-Baltimore and Gearing-Fletcher).

I was pretty disappointing in my first Henry match - quick loss in which I managed less than 100K dmg - but I've played a few more since, and I'm enjoying it more all the time.

I do believe I'll work on a new French commander for the S. Louis - but I don't think this will be an instance where I move the 19 point commander back to the T9 ship - but I'll be hanging onto it anyhow.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles

The problem with many Tier IX ships is that once you got the Tier X, most aren't special or good enough to warrant keeping them.  Typically the Tier X ships are straight upgrades over the Tier IX ships.  Henri IV is everything Saint-Louis is and better.  Yamato is a pure upgrade from Izumo.  Hindenburg is a pure upgrade from Roon.  Roon is a great IX Cruiser, but after getting Hindenburg, even she gets sold off or sidelined.

There are very few cases where the Tier IX may warrant keeping them, namely for gameplay or special circumstances.

1.  You got a buddy working on a Tier IX ship, so best break out your own Tier IX.

2.  Different gameplay, i.e. Iowa is vastly different from Montana.

3.  Special Tier IX ship, i.e. Musashi, Missouri, Black, etc.

Saint-Louis isn't much of that.  She's great, I loved her, but unless I had a friend wanting to play Tier IX, I don't really use S-L anymore after getting Henri IV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Saint-Louis isn't much of that.  She's great, I loved her, but unless I had a friend wanting to play Tier IX, I don't really use S-L anymore after getting Henri IV.

This was my experience. Kept looking for reasons I would want/need to play the T9. The chance to beat up on T7s is rare (although I don't think seeing T9s is at all rare when I play T7s). Also would a T9/T10 division really qualify as a "Fail Division"? You would assure the T9 wouldn't see any T7s but most likely it will be fighting T10s anyway. Much different than say a T5/T6 division where you are likely to drag the T5 into fighting T8s (MM is evil that way).

Makes me regret not moving my commander when I got the Henri.

Edited by Sabot_100

Sign in to follow this