You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Can Someone Explain Please

25 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,086 battles

Last night in a game with my Aigle, I was the only DD in the game. After capping C and purposely keeping my distance and not being detected I headed to B. I the saw a detected warning....hmmm..no one in sight, no other DDs in game. Suddenly at 6km a Cleveland magically appears and lights me up. How does a ship as big as a Cleveland appear out of nowhere? No islands nearby. he materialized in open water. It seemed really odd to me. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,086 battles

No smoke...laggy server maybe.... I was eyeing the BB at 12km behind where he appeared. Didn't ruin the game for me or anything but it was sure odd, haven't really encountered thsi in the many games I've played.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, KalishniKat said:

No smoke...laggy server maybe.... I was eyeing the BB at 12km behind where he appeared. Didn't ruin the game for me or anything but it was sure odd, haven't really encountered thsi in the many games I've played.

Were you zoomed in? I don't know if this is true for everyone else, but the smoke cloud doesn't render for me when zoomed in.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,086 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Were you zoomed in? I don't know if this is true for everyone else, but the smoke cloud doesn't render for me when zoomed in.

Hmmm...maybe but I don't think there were any Brit cruisers in the game. My bad for not recording but I'm a luddite and don't know how. 

[WOLF7]
Members
11,348 posts
15 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Last night in a game with my Aigle, I was the only DD in the game. After capping C and purposely keeping my distance and not being detected I headed to B. I the saw a detected warning....hmmm..no one in sight, no other DDs in game. Suddenly at 6km a Cleveland magically appears and lights me up. How does a ship as big as a Cleveland appear out of nowhere? No islands nearby. he materialized in open water. It seemed really odd to me. 

Replay?

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,209 posts
7,205 battles

Can I explain it? As of now, no. I am lacking too much info to make a proper explanation.

A Replay would solve the issue and bring clarity, did you have them enabled?

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

^This.

When zoomed in all the way, smoke within the field of view doesn't render.  So ships that are suddenly spotted outside of the smoke's concealment will seem to magically appear out of nowhere at impossibly short ranges.  Happens a lot, actually.

Reducing the zoom levels will render any smoke that can be seen in the field of view.

[TDG]
Members
1,613 posts
7,825 battles

Did he appear near an island?

Did you look on the minimap for who could be close enough to detect?

I have had a ship I knew was going to appear from behind an island not render until a full hull length beyond the edge of the island.  I saw the "Detected" indication.  They were visible on the minimap, just not in front of me so I could aim and fire.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,697 battles
38 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

IDK I usually don't subscribe to tin foil hat theories but I did send in a replay to support for a Montana going ninja on me at 9.8km. Doesn't happen often enough to call frequent IMHO but there is something glitchy.

[MIA-P]
Members
659 posts
6,290 battles

Cyclone?

Otherwise, there's some rendering issues where the smoke might have been in the middle of dispersing, or he just charged you down while you weren't looking.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
9,086 battles

He wasn't on mini map as I was using it to see that a BB had just left B wide open. It is possible he came out from behind an island and lag prevented me from seeing him in time, like I said I got the detected warning then saw him he was fully exposed in open water. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
992 posts
11,154 battles

If you haven't, you should turn on "last spotted" marker on the minimap. You can use last known positions to make educated guesses at player's intentions to make these "pop up threats" less surprising... and occasionally build counter-play based on your best guess on what they are planning to do. . 

Supertester
2,169 posts
9,234 battles

A few possible explanations:

• Cleveland rounding a corner would have been undetected until it was too late
  • Smoke from a RN CL or maybe a Kut or Belfast or Flint
  • You just weren't paying attention to the map and failed to notice 

The first two are the most likely

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,378 posts
12,733 battles
4 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Hmmm...maybe but I don't think there were any Brit cruisers in the game. My bad for not recording but I'm a luddite and don't know how. 

I think mine were enabled by default.  Check the replays directory, you might shock yourself (and need to clean it out)