Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_ENO_

Quirky defended ribbons?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

731
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I just got out of a standard battle where I was tooling around in Cleveland defending a cap against a pesky Richelieu. Took me awhile to spot him in cap but when I did I started getting some shots in. A few hits but no defend. A few more hits... no defend. I can see the red building up on cap- more hits... no defended ribbons. 

Cap is reset each time- nothing. 

I end up having to bail and reposition... come around the corner and spot him again (he's spotted by our CV I think) and hit him again. 3 x defends. 

Hit him again and again after this- nothing. 

I've posted a video of the replay- I chopped it up a little so you don't have to wade through the whole thing. I also realized after the fact I could have adjusted my aiming perspective with the C key and maybe had a little more accuracy so for those of you who are going to mention it: I know, thanks.

 

In terms of the ribbons I think something is funky. Any insights? 

Edited by Gascan75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,329
[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles

There is a minimum amount of cap points your reset has to do before you get the ribbon and for each "chunk" of these points (rounded down) you get a ribbon. Hence if you hit a ship near completely capped out you get many ribbons, but if it has only been capping 10 seconds you get a single ribbon.

If you keep hitting the enemy ship every 2 or 3 seconds it will reset to zero and never build up enough to give you the ribbon threshold.  Thus to "farm" the ribbons essentially let the ship cap 15 seconds or so then hit it, then cap 10 seconds then hit it again, etc.

Edited by SyndicatedINC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
334
[REVY]
Members
1,204 posts
8,713 battles

someone correct me if I am wrong,

If there was a second ship in the cap zone, like a DD, that was unspotted and it had the majority of the cap points, it would need to be hit for the 'defended' ribbon. While the Richelieu was in the cap zone, it had accumulated the 'minority' of the cap points, thus wouldn't yield a 'defend' ribbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
731
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
41 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

There is a minimum amount of cap points...

What is that minimum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,329
[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
10 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

What is that minimum?

I do not recall, however on a Standard game mode it appears that the base cap awards 2 of the reset ribbons for each full side of the square/diamond that the enemy has capped which you remove from them.   So I would guess that the minimum is about half of a full side of the cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, SyndicatedINC said:

There is a minimum amount of cap points your reset has to do before you get the ribbon and for each "chunk" of these points (rounded down) you get a ribbon. Hence if you hit a ship near completely capped out you get many ribbons, but if it has only been capping 10 seconds you get a single ribbon.

If you keep hitting the enemy ship every 2 or 3 seconds it will reset to zero and never build up enough to give you the ribbon threshold.  Thus to "farm" the ribbons essentially let the ship cap 15 seconds or so then hit it, then cap 10 seconds then hit it again, etc.

This is not how it works. Reducing the cap progress by even 1 point produces a Defended ribbon.

 

What is going on in the OP's case is that there are 2 ships capping. Richelieu and an unspotted destroyer.

 

When his shells hit Richelieu, each hit reduces the cap points Richelieu has accumulated by half, and each hit that reduces points this way produces a ribbon until Richelieu runs out of cap points. It's very easy with repeated hits to reduce a ship to 0 cap points and stop getting ribbons for defending, via sustained fire. You will get multiple ribbons in one salvo if multiple shells hit. I believe it's a total of 4 hits to wipe the cap point total out completely, though I could be remembering wrong.

 

It seems like a ship stops gaining cap points for a second or two after being hit/reset, which is why rapid fire guns can deplete cap points to 0 so quickly. They don't appear to regen under fire and only start building if the ship hasn't taken a hit for a while.

 

The cap progress kept going up because of the unspotted destroyer. I do this all the time in my destroyers, using the battleship as a distraction/deterrent while I continue to cap.

 

Your second paragraph works not because of a threshold, but because it's allowing the target ship to get cap points at all.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,329
[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

This is not how it works. Reducing the cap progress by even 1 point produces a Defended ribbon.

 

What is going on in the OP's case is that there are 2 ships capping. Richelieu and an unspotted destroyer.

 

When his shells hit Richelieu, each hit reduces the cap points Richelieu has accumulated by half, and each hit that reduces points this way produces a ribbon until Richelieu runs out of cap points. It's very easy with repeated hits to reduce a ship to 0 cap points and stop getting ribbons for defending, via sustained fire. You will get multiple ribbons in one salvo if multiple shells hit. I believe it's a total of 4 hits to wipe the cap point total out completely, though I could be remembering wrong.

 

The cap progress kept going up because of the unspotted destroyer. I do this all the time in my destroyers, using the battleship as a distraction/deterrent while I continue to cap.

 

Your second paragraph works not because of a threshold, but because it's allowing the target ship to get cap points at all.

:Smile_amazed:  Did you even watch the video?  

 

  1. The enemy team has no DD remaining at the start of the video
  2. All enemy ships are accounted for OUTSIDE the cap and across the map except for the Richelieu.  
  3. If a second ship was capping then the OP would not have been reducing the cap points to zero every time they hit them.
  4. The OP wasn't even asking about cap progress going up but rather why their resetting of the cap progress they did was NOT giving them ribbons
  5. While you can get multiple ribbons in a single salvo, you are incorrect in that you do not get a ribbon for each hit that reduces points.   As demonstrated by this video, you can reduce a target by some 10 seconds worth of cap points and still not receive a ribbon
     

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

:Smile_amazed:  Did you even watch the video?  

Admittedly no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
731
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Admittedly no

I'm amazed you spent the time to write that lengthy post but didn't know what you were responding to.

Edit: There's a little more to it below. I get it :)

Edited by Gascan75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

I'm amazed you spent the time to write that lengthy post but didn't know what you were responding to.

Next time, don't. 

Most of the content of my post is unrelated to the video anyway. It's about reset mechanics.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,329
[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles
23 minutes ago, Gascan75 said:

I'm amazed you spent the time to write that lengthy post but didn't know what you were responding to.

Next time, don't. 

To be fair, the forum is rife with threads of "I kept resetting them but we got capped out, WG fix this bug" wherein it was merely an unspotted ship capping.  So it is understandable that someone would cursory read the thread subject and presume it is about.  Rarely does one see a more nuanced question such as you presented about why specifically they were able to reset a ship on cap but did not receive any ribbon for said reset.  So it is an unexpected question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
26 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

To be fair, the forum is rife with threads of "I kept resetting them but we got capped out, WG fix this bug" wherein it was merely an unspotted ship capping.  So it is understandable that someone would cursory read the thread subject and presume it is about.  Rarely does one see a more nuanced question such as you presented about why specifically they were able to reset a ship on cap but did not receive any ribbon for said reset.  So it is an unexpected question.

To be fair you'd be surprised how often I find myself explaining basic game mechanics on this forum so it gets to be a bit of an automated response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
731
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Fair enough. So... I guess the question remains: is there a specific amount of time  that needs to go by?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Gascan75 said:

Fair enough. So... I guess the question remains: is there a specific amount of time  that needs to go by?

My experience leans towards 3-5 seconds. Longer than the reload of most destroyers. Cruisers seem to reset on every reload. This could be wrong and is based on feeling it out, as it's not something I've actually felt a need to track before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
731
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

It wasn't delivering between Cleveland reloads... I'm leaning towards 15 seconds? 

But then I don't understand how you can get 3 at once? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,953
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,367 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Gascan75 said:

It wasn't delivering between Cleveland reloads... I'm leaning towards 15 seconds? 

But then I don't understand how you can get 3 at once? 

Hm, then that's probably closer to right. The lack of ribbons only happens when they're at 0 points. So if you hit 3 times and each time drops cap points off the target, you get 3 ribbons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,329
[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles

Again I do not recall the exact amount of time but the ribbon is for something like every 15-25 seconds worth of cap time that you reset.   So you are resetting the Richeliu quicker than 15 seconds over and over, then you had one long stint where they capped up for a 81 seconds.  You got 3 ribbons.   (90 seconds would have been 4 ribbons)

 

If you go to a training room and try it you can find the exact second counts value as again I do not specifically recall them, but it is something like this 

  • Less than 15 seconds worth of cap equals no ribbon.
  • 15-39 seconds is a single ribbon
  • 40-64 seconds is 2 ribbons
  • 65-89 seconds is 3 ribbons 
  • 90-114 seconds is 4 ribbons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×