Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dzilla77

Are upgrades worth it at lower tiers?

18 comments in this topic

[-TOG-]
Members
77 posts
1,748 battles

Are ship upgrades worth it at say tier 3 or 4?  If not, when does it make sense to start procuring them?  Thanks.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Playing ships without upgrades is a bad idea, at any tier.  So whatever the ship is, yes, upgrading is always worth it.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If you're shooting up a line, laying waste to everything before you, then probably not. But once you hit a wall, I'd upgrade that ship and it's predecessor, and then play those two ships while you hone your skills.

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
397 posts
3,222 battles

at low tiers such as 1-4, I don't put upgrades on my ships unless it is a premium. Tier 5 and up, I always place upgrades from thereafter. 

[-TOG-]
Members
77 posts
1,748 battles

Just so its clear, by upgrades I mean the modifications (e.g. main armament modification 1), not the researched modules.

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles
6 minutes ago, RighteousRhyno said:

at low tiers such as 1-4, I don't put upgrades on my ships unless it is a premium. Tier 5 and up, I always place upgrades from thereafter. 

This is my method as well. Signal Flags that aren't XP/Credits related I only use from Tier 6 and up though.

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,231 battles

Even though it requires giving up Chester and St. Louis's peacetime steaming colors, yes.  Still wish there were a camo option to put them on all the US line.

BLUF (blech): Yes.

-R

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
724 posts
10,749 battles

The main question you should be asking is, "Am I going to keep this ship?".  If that is a yes, then buy the mods for her.  If not, don't, however....  At T5 you will WANT to install mods or you will have problems.  You might get away with it at T4, but I wouldn't recommend going without mods at that tier either.

Personally, I bought mods for even my T1's. :Smile_Default:

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,079 battles

Considering they're not expensive, take them. 3% reduced fire chance and 70% reduced detonation chance for DD (save your JCs for CW/Ranked) are nice.

[-K-]
Members
6,108 posts
10,244 battles
19 minutes ago, dzilla77 said:

Just so its clear, by upgrades I mean the modifications (e.g. main armament modification 1), not the researched modules.

Of course.  Why intentionally handicap yourself or the potential fun factor of a ship?

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

T5 and up is where you don't want to be without them, every slight advantage can shift the battle at this point.
T4 is debatable depending on the ship.
T3 and down you don't need upgrades, but if you plan to keep the ship and play it later you might as well. you move past these ships so fast it's not worth it otherwise.

[RST]
Members
384 posts
8,049 battles

I used to do it without question, now I'm more of the view (as someone else said) if you are keeping it yes, but T4 and down and you are just "passing through" then pass on the modification.  The cost at these levels is small yes, but you will probably play only a few games in those ships and in most cases I don't think you will notice.  It is not a deal breaker either way.

T5 and up I'd say yes, as you will be there longer before moving up, and you will be facing higher tiers where the modifications may make the difference. 

[CAST]
Members
1,532 posts
7,991 battles

In low tier, I'm not there long enough to benefit from module upgrades.  In T4 or 5, I probably take the 1st 2 upgrades.  After that I start upgrading, because I'm in the ship longer.  I don't even necessarily take the armament module upgrades on the mid tier ships.  I do always take the hull upgrades, because it doesn't affect the XP requirement to get to the next tier.  Some higher tier ships require some of the upgrades just to survive the battle, so in those ships I do the upgrades.

So, analyze the risk reward.  If you can justify saving your cash and/or XP for upgrades, do it to get to the next ship faster.  If you are going to be in the ship for a while, sometimes the enjoyment factor necessitates some upgrades.

Members
3,178 posts
3,520 battles

Have to agree with anything below T-V. If you like the ship enough to keep it, sure. If not, keep on keeping on, but it does help. 

Members
9,537 posts
11,898 battles

really depends on upgrade.   I don't buy FCS upgrade on many BB because I don't need to shoot beyond 20km for example.  sometime I will forego buying speed upgrade if it only give 1.5knot advantage and you already move 24knot.     Hull upgrade is for sure though and  some bote like mogami, stock gun may be preferred. 

Members
175 posts
5,942 battles

Anything below T5 isn't really worth it, really - since the really useful upgrades aren't available until T6 and beyond. But if you have spare credits to toss around, it doesn't hurt to have them.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

It depends on whether or not you intend to keep the ship I suppose. That, and they're so cheap it doesn't matter much.

Sign in to follow this