Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Alsace or Republique?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,938
[-K-]
Members
6,110 posts
10,244 battles

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question I'm looking for some opinions on.  I just finished the grind through Alsace in the French BB line and have unlocked Republique.  The popular census amongst most is that Alsace is the gem of the line and seems to be loved by almost everyone.

My question is, for those who have played both, is Republique a worth T10 and/or upgrade from Alsace?  On paper, my initial thoughts are underwhelming, but until I get to play her for the first time I'm just speculating.  

Lastly, up to this point, I've run a hybrid secondary/survivability build on the French BB's (BoS, AFT, etc).  Is it safe to assume a full or semi-secondary build for Republique would still be optimal to supplant  the lack of main gun armament?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,142
[HINON]
Supertester
20,521 posts
13,924 battles

They're different beasts. Republique is a worthy T10, but tier-for-tier Alsace is the better ship. Definitely keep Alsace, but don't feel ashamed buying Republique, it offers a different playstyle.

As for Republique's 'lack of main gun armament' - with MBM3 you have a 21.1s reload on the highest pen guns at tier. It's certainly not worth going into a 100% secondary spec, even with a full secondary build the damage from your secondaries will be incidental, you'll still do the vast majority of your damage with the main guns.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,737
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,536 posts
11,530 battles

I prefer Republique myself, because with a more normal broadside and 2.0 instead of 1.7 sigma I actually feel like it's my aiming rather than pure RNG that determines the results.

 

I run a fairly hybrid Republique build too, AFT, CE, BFT, BoS and it works out okish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,921 posts
8,427 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

They're different beasts. Republique is a worthy T10, but tier-for-tier Alsace is the better ship. Definitely keep Alsace, but don't feel ashamed buying Republique, it offers a different playstyle.

As for Republique's 'lack of main gun armament' - with MBM3 you have a 21.1s reload on the highest pen guns at tier. It's certainly not worth going into a 100% secondary spec, even with a full secondary build the damage from your secondaries will be incidental, you'll still do the vast majority of your damage with the main guns.

Good advice that. I am looking forward to trying Republique and will certainly hang on to Alsace. I'm having a blast with Lyon as well, Richelieu not so much. Yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,770 posts
11,144 battles

I played them both on the test server. I loved the Alsace but I didn't quite get the hang of the Republique. Even with quicker reload it just didn't seem to do the same type of damage I'm used to with other T10 BBs.
I know some people do really well with her. I'd love to see a video to get a better understanding of how to play this ship with only 4 forward guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,938
[-K-]
Members
6,110 posts
10,244 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

They're different beasts. Republique is a worthy T10, but tier-for-tier Alsace is the better ship. Definitely keep Alsace, but don't feel ashamed buying Republique, it offers a different playstyle.

As for Republique's 'lack of main gun armament' - with MBM3 you have a 21.1s reload on the highest pen guns at tier. It's certainly not worth going into a 100% secondary spec, even with a full secondary build the damage from your secondaries will be incidental, you'll still do the vast majority of your damage with the main guns.

Does Republique have the same propensity to overpen cruisers the way other French BBs do?  I found the issue really prevalent on Richelieu, and somewhat subdued on Alsace.  Kind of felt like the French AP was purpose-built for dealing heavy damage to BBs at the expense of execution on everything else.  Could be just me, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,142
[HINON]
Supertester
20,521 posts
13,924 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Does Republique have the same propensity to overpen cruisers the way other French BBs do?

To a sense. A lot of that can be mitigated by picking the right targets, at the right ranges, waiting for soft cruisers to be slightly angled instead of purely broadside. It's a meta to get used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202
[WOLFB]
Members
790 posts
25,600 battles

I have both and have come to like the Republique as much as like the Alsace.

The fast reload and big guns ( I did use secondary build) and it will brawl with a GK. Using "AR" (adrenaline  rush) the reload times can go as low as 16 sec! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
444
[YAN]
Members
1,649 posts
8,008 battles
34 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

On paper, my initial thoughts are underwhelming

Hi, you're me from before I got France. That's the exact thing I thought, but I took the plunge and brought Republique anyway.

Never before have I been so utterly astounded by a ship before, the Republique's stats do a great job of hiding the ships abilities.

The power of Republique over Alsace comes from the reload, overmatch and secondaries. While Alsace is unable to overmatch most cruisers and deck armor when they angle, Republique goes straight through and I found this highly noticeable. The reload of the guns gives her unbelievable versatility which allows her to shine in most situations, being able to furfill any role of the other T10 battleships, although to a lesser extent then the leaders, I feel that being able to do this while being able to perform another role simultaneously allows Republique to just perform.

I don't think Ive found a ship that could just roll into any situation without feeling like "my weakness of X might screw me here" like a german BB at range or Yamato in a brawl do. Its just so adaptable, its a great strength for her, and using that honestly makes the ship. I enjoyed Alsace, it felt like an Iowa just with more of what I want in it, but Alsace was and is a unique experience to play for me.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
728
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,172 posts
10,290 battles

Have both and love both. Run a hybrid set up. AFT+BFT and CE then your choice for the rest. Accuracy and reload mods. Love the guns on the Rep. They eat Hindenburgs for breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,091
[BBICT]
Members
3,573 posts
3,720 battles

I've got about 15 games in the Alsace so far, and its been nothing but love. I was happy with the Richie...until I ran her, and now I have a port queen with chicken camo. I was thinking about stopping at her to be honest, but as much as I play her, I'll have the Republic sooner rather than latter. I have the special French captain on my Dunk for now so I can put points on him, if and when I want to move him up to X. With that AR bonus he gets, the already fast reload is gonna be scary... :Smile_playing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
855 posts
3,736 battles

I don't like the Alsace so far. I have had nothing but bad luck in it since getting it. I loved the t8 but I just have not got this one working yet. The aim of her main guns kills me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,151
[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question I'm looking for some opinions on.  I just finished the grind through Alsace in the French BB line and have unlocked Republique.  The popular census amongst most is that Alsace is the gem of the line and seems to be loved by almost everyone.

My question is, for those who have played both, is Republique a worth T10 and/or upgrade from Alsace?  On paper, my initial thoughts are underwhelming, but until I get to play her for the first time I'm just speculating.  

Lastly, up to this point, I've run a hybrid secondary/survivability build on the French BB's (BoS, AFT, etc).  Is it safe to assume a full or semi-secondary build for Republique would still be optimal to supplant  the lack of main gun armament?

I like Republique but it's not your typical BB.

 

Alsace I think will be the stopping point for many because it's still "traditional" in playstyle.  Republique is anything but traditional.

 

There was a point, for a long period of WoWS history live, that Iowa was considered the stopping point of the USN BB Line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,968
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,161 posts
14,284 battles

I have both and like both but IMO Republique is better. It pretty much has become my favorite T10 BB. Only 8 guns but for me they are pretty accurate, awesome secondary guns, and US BB like AA. Armor is good when properly angled.

I am a Co-op player so take the above FWIW to you. In Co-op it is a very good BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,279 posts
830 battles
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I like Republique but it's not your typical BB.

 

Alsace I think will be the stopping point for many because it's still "traditional" in playstyle.  Republique is anything but traditional.

 

There was a point, for a long period of WoWS history live, that Iowa was considered the stopping point of the USN BB Line.

The old days when Montana inexplicably had a 29 mm weather deck? And 1.8 sigma?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[-HON-]
Beta Testers
488 posts
12,047 battles

Don't be afraid of HE on the Republique - 48% fire chance.  

With your opening salvo of 8 guns it is not uncommon to get 2 fires, so red puts it out.  Next salvo another fire, then switch to AP, if the angle is good.  

You get overpens on broadside cruisers and BBs.  The 21sec reload helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
619
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,184 posts
5,659 battles

I like the Graf Spee, and tried the Republique on the PTS and I love it just the same. It brings in a surprising amount of damage done for just having two quad turrets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,151
[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles
6 hours ago, DeliciousFart said:

The old days when Montana inexplicably had a 29 mm weather deck? And 1.8 sigma?

Don't forget when both had the skyscraper citadel also, on top of all that :Smile_Default: 

 

Do you remember the days when you could line up an AP salvo into Iowa, Missouri, Montana, and your BB would get 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, even 7 citadel hits on them?:Smile_teethhappy:  Also, back when Yamato had Mega Repair Party while Montana was absolute trash... "Just because."

 

But yes, Montana was bad.  I still remember the days that if someone brought a Montana into PVP, his teammates got upset.  It was that bad.  Yeesh...  I remember discussions on reasons to get Montana back then, and they were all sketchy ones at best.

1.  'Murica! - Nationalism is fine until you got to play a POS Battleship.

2.  "Well, I got all these ShipXPs on Iowa already, and I got tons of credits.  I **guess** I could research and buy Montana..."

3.  "Ugh... She has... Good AA!  Yes!"

 

Today, Montana is my absolute favorite Tier X BB.  My how times have changed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,938
[-K-]
Members
6,110 posts
10,244 battles
12 hours ago, SansPeur said:

Don't be afraid of HE on the Republique - 48% fire chance.  

With your opening salvo of 8 guns it is not uncommon to get 2 fires, so red puts it out.  Next salvo another fire, then switch to AP, if the angle is good.  

You get overpens on broadside cruisers and BBs.  The 21sec reload helps.

Noticed the high fire chance yesterday when I took her out for the first time.  Basically Conqueror levels of burning stuff.

But the AP is just so good against broadside BB's.  The penetration and damage rolls is amazing.  

Only got one game in her yesterday, but am looking forward to more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×