Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XiaoXiaoNi

Fix MM with Divisional MM

6 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
11,189 battles

First post, be gentle.  Before you stat check, I am a super average player and play almost exclusively solo.  I write this just because I enjoy the game and hope to see it flourish.

Division play in WoWs is great for the game.  It promotes teamplay, community building through relationships and can help improve the learning curve of new players.  However, it must be acknowledged that division play is OP.  When a division of players from top clans shows up at C cap and annihilates the three or four unlucky souls there, you know you are in for a ROFL stomp.  If it was one or two unaffiliated unicums maybe the game could be salvaged but not when they are divisioned up.  These eight minute matches are not good for the winners or losers.  Divisioned players often spend their games chasing their average damage in an endless series of boring games.  Conversely, totally bewildered randoms explore uncharted parts of the map in pursuit of safety.  The power of these divisions can be seen through a cursory look at stats.  Division play can add somewhere between a 0%-10% increase in WR.  Stat grinders know, moving the needle even a percentage point can be a long hard grind.  Yes, fail divisions exist.  Let's just accept the general premise that on the whole, divisional play more often makes teams stronger rather than weaker.  

So what to do about divisions then?  Let's try a divisional MM system along the following criteria.  

• New queue category added entitled "Divisions"
  • MM will only pull from that category when at least four divisions are present
  • MM will initiate a game populating two divisions on each team resulting in at least 4 members of each team being in division 
  • MM will spawn match the divisions.  Yes you have an idea of who may be at the cap you are playing.  You just will not know if it is division A or B.

Yes, there are issues.  Wargaming is concerned about queue times and rightly so.  Anyone sit in a H1Z1 lobby lately?  Long queues could be the death of the game but division play is like squad play in any other game.  Yes, you know you will wait longer but your buddy is there with you and you know you can jump in a random at anytime.  Maybe the spawn matching is too much.  It just ensures we don't end up where we were before, randoms having to confront coordinated players.  Maybe 4 divisions is too long a wait during off peak times.  Stagger when divisional MM goes into affect then.  

Despite the issues, I think the player base would be willing to tolerate a divisional MM if it resulted in more competitive games.               

• Cool 2

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,626 battles

WG has this similar system in WoT, but refuses to implement it in WoWS, for god knows what reason.

[SYN]
Members
828 posts
7,968 battles

I can't say that it is OP, though. I have been in many matches where the team that is without the division ROFLstomps the team with the division. It doesn't seem likely, but it happens so many times. 

I also get to watch and learn from seeing the divs play. 

Let MM do what it is doing. 

N.B. If it were to open to 4-5 ship divisions, then yes. However, what would be the point of CB then? 

Members
15 posts
11,189 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

I can't say that it is OP, though. I have been in many matches where the team that is without the division ROFLstomps the team with the division. It doesn't seem likely, but it happens so many times. 

I also get to watch and learn from seeing the divs play. 

Let MM do what it is doing. 

N.B. If it were to open to 4-5 ship divisions, then yes. However, what would be the point of CB then? 

Sure,

I hear you. I want to learn from them too. If I watch YouTube or Twitch I prefer division play and the interaction. That is why I think it so important to make it more healthy. It is undeniably good for the game. 

As for OP. I still think so and if you check the stats of players I think you will see it. 

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,079 battles

The problem is the extremes on both ends. A 3 ship unicum div dominates. A 3 ship tomato div actually hurts your chances of winning because you are more likely to get better players through a random sample than a tomato div.

I would prefer clan matching, ie making sure the number of players in any clan is equal per team. I've seen too many clanless bots and dads ruin otherwise competitive games.

Edited by awildseaking

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,299 battles
53 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

I would prefer clan matching, ie making sure the number of players in any clan is equal per team. I've seen too many clanless bots and dads ruin otherwise competitive games.

So.. does being in a clan now correlate to skill? Because I've seen some godawful players who have clan tags --  its not some exclusive non-clan characteristic.

In general though, something like this, provided it were matching  their clan battle league, would have a better effect of evening out the teams.

Edited by _Pixi_

Sign in to follow this