You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
chuzzbug

Baltimore feast - 21 citadels ... they just came

12 comments in this topic

[QUARK]
Members
9 posts
6,269 battles

A great game in my Baltimore on North. The 197k damage was ok but ... 21 citadels. 

This is what happens when the enemy comes around the island one by one by one by one.

The torp beats at the end were epic, too. Luckily, she's skinny enough to avoid full Neptune volley from 6 km.

baltimore.png

20180327_001115_PASC017-Baltimore-1944_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,779 battles
1 hour ago, chuzzbug said:

A great game in my Baltimore on North. The 197k damage was ok but ... 21 citadels. 

This is what happens when the enemy comes around the island one by one by one by one.

The torp beats at the end were epic, too. Luckily, she's skinny enough to avoid full Neptune volley from 6 km.

baltimore.png

Not even running premium DCP or repair? You're a madman- awesome game!

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

Awesome game. So satisfying when the stars align like that for a Cruiser.

Really disappointed the Baltimore is going away from Tier 9.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Baltimore is such a good boat, isn't it?

Tanky hull, great guns, fast turrets, and AP that hits like a truck, even against battleships.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I think the main issue with USN CAs is that they're balanced around games like this, which can be pretty rare because it depends on some stupidity in mass in the right direction from the enemy team, and right placement by the USN CA. 

It's similar to CAs of other nations have big torpedo games. At the same time though, most of those ships can out DPM the USN CAs in a gun duel. So you end up with this imbalance between good players were the enemy ship won't give a 60 degree or less angle and the USN ship losses the gunnary duel despite being a pure gunboat.

[QUARK]
Members
9 posts
6,269 battles
7 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

I think the main issue with USN CAs is that they're balanced around games like this, which can be pretty rare because it depends on some stupidity in mass in the right direction from the enemy team, and right placement by the USN CA. 

It's similar to CAs of other nations have big torpedo games. At the same time though, most of those ships can out DPM the USN CAs in a gun duel. So you end up with this imbalance between good players were the enemy ship won't give a 60 degree or less angle and the USN ship losses the gunnary duel despite being a pure gunboat.

I think most T10 cruisers are balanced around a specific kind of game. Perhaps with the exception of the Hindy, which is flexible.

I also think that having a variety of ship types, each with their own roles, means that there will be some strategies that they excel at and some strategies that they don't. So, whether the game is a long-range snipefest or a brawl, different ships will come into their strengths.

[QUARK]
Members
9 posts
6,269 battles
15 hours ago, Ju87s said:

Not even running premium DCP or repair? You're a madman- awesome game!

Ya, I'm going in bareback. 

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

I would too, if I got that many cits in one match.

Ok, I leave now...  :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 2

Members
710 posts
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

I would too, if I got that many cits in one match.

Ok, I leave now...  :Smile_hiding:

Yep your work here is done.

:cap_like:

[WOLF3]
Members
19,332 posts
17,670 battles
21 hours ago, chuzzbug said:

baltimore.png

Very good play, using Baltimore's strengths to their fullest in the best place on the map for her.  If Baltimore in that spot can have her flanks secure, she is a very stubborn one to remove.

I don't think that Scharnhorst got the memo that some Tier VIII+ Cruisers can face tank those POS small caliber AP rounds of hers, and Baltimore is one of them.  Baltimore isn't some worthless Omaha, Pensacola, Indianapolis, New Orleans, or some other POS Cruiser with worthless armor.  Hell, I'd grade her as tougher than Des Moines.

Also good work in seeing the mistakes of both Neptunes and quickly making them pay dearly for them.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,332 posts
17,670 battles
4 hours ago, chuzzbug said:

I think most T10 cruisers are balanced around a specific kind of game. Perhaps with the exception of the Hindy, which is flexible.

I also think that having a variety of ship types, each with their own roles, means that there will be some strategies that they excel at and some strategies that they don't. So, whether the game is a long-range snipefest or a brawl, different ships will come into their strengths.

All the Tier X Cruisers are great, but yes, for different reasons.  They have overlapping areas of expertise, but not quite fully doing what the others can.  Most of them are leaning towards Long Range Cruiser play, but some lean towards short range expertise, and on top of that, consumables driving their gameplay.

Hindenburg can do a variety of jobs but she doesn't have the one thing that makes Destroyers furious:  RADAR.

Tier X German Hydro is amazing, but it's nowhere near a substitute for Radar, especially for the range and duration that Tier X US / RN Radar have.  5.8km Hydro is great, but it's nowhere near close to the 9.9km, 40 second active time that Radar Minotaur / Des Moines can do.  Properly used Radar can break the DD game in a match, and anything that swings your team's favor against DDs is a yooge deal, IMO.

Lots of ships can farm damage at range, rack up fire damage on BBs that will heal that damage back anyways, but the question is, can they contest the caps and break the enemy team's DDs?  Many can't.  Henri IV can't.  Most BBs can't.  You got lots of guys that will farm big damage at range, farm damage against Battleships, but cannot do anything meaningful when it comes down to dealing with Destroyers and the caps, flushing the DDs out, or making enemy DD life hard.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway