Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ulthwey

How to Republique?

7 comments in this topic

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

I'm getting really close to getting her. Absolutely loved the Richleu, and currently loving the Alsace in the meantime, but I am curious as how how the gameplay changes when I finally get the Republique.

A. What mods do I use? Spec for endurace or maneuverabilty? mains, AA or secondaries?

B. How do I spec the capt for it? Fire prevention/Concealment, or AFT/Concealment, or some form of full/partial secondary build?

C. How do I play her? I hear shes very different from Alsace given her ridiculous size and concealment. So far all the players I've seen playing this ship managed to get themselves murdered in the first 10 minutes in every match I have been in. Can this ship flank/kite with its size/concealment?

Edited by Ulthwey

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I have heard this from many who own her. She is a Port Queen for most. Stick with the Tier 9 better Ship.

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Alpha Tester
2,215 posts
13,296 battles

I really like the republic, have played 2 games in the alsasce since i got her, i use the special french captain on her, this is my build http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001001000000119

shot-18_03.27_12_32.48-0052.jpg.66bc9eacceae51ba3022556fa7ff01e3.jpg

considering trading EM and BoS for AFT, and replacing the secondary module for either AA or accuracy, or maybe i just keep the modules as is, dunno.

Though i just suffered 4 straight losses in the republic, so that would skew the stats a bit, but these were my stats before that:

Untitled.thumb.png.f7a11b56a82cc31c744bb8313b30eb01.png

As for how to play her,  play her like an amagi, except, ive noticed shes really weak at mid range, so i engage long range at the start, then if i get the opportunity, i get close and out brawl the enemy with my superior mobility.

Also, just like the amagi, her angles to the rear are slightly better than the angles to the front, so you can use that in conjuction with your speed boost to reverse into the enemy and duke their shots by going forward and back.

Edited by madmanthan21
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,236 posts
15,189 battles

Loving the republique......massive damage, fantastic speed, a reload that can be as fast as 15 sec or less. Secondaries that spec out to 12.1 km, farthest ingame.

I just can't seem to win in her!

france.JPG

Beta Testers
4,292 posts

Played too little of her to answer this, but it seems like a ship that requires a good player to perform to the same level as other battleships based on my early impressions

• Cool 1

Members
511 posts
16,291 battles

Extremely vulnerable to HE. You will want to avoid Hindenburgs and Zaos like they're the Devil's man-sausage (lest you enjoy that sort of thing).

Lack of guns really hurt her chances against DDs too. Quite a step down from the Alsace.

Lack of manoeuvrability is another thing it suffers from, which is an issue because it's really the only defence against HE spam, or any kind of attack for that matter.

And the secondaries/AAs are super-fragile. Better than the Alsace, but still super-fragile.

Those are its main issues. What makes the Republique a fun ship to play however is the guns. A hair over 21 seconds with the upgrade and an average of 17-18 seconds as HP whittles down with Adrenaline Rush (Honoré capt). It is frustratingly inconsistent at times (I mean there's only 8 of them) but the RoF and heavy hitting shells allow you to put down a respectable amount of hurt down the barrel.

Its overall damage output is not that much different in the long run from the rest of the BB lineup though, so you need to decide whether having fast guns on a fragile hull is worth the stress over something more comfortable like the Montana. Republique is definitely not a bow-tanking type of ship, speed and manoeuvrability, despite being nothing impressive, is its only defence and that can either be its weakness or its strength depending on the situation. Having high situational awareness, good map reading skills and anticipating developing threats/opportunities are absolutely essential. Overextending and getting focused on by HE spam will take you out of the fight extremely quickly. This ship has a relatively high skill floor, but it also has the capacity to sing for you if you treat her right.

I like it so far.

Edited by yacskn
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this