Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MG1962

Strange Charles Martel question

10 comments in this topic

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles

So I know the ship is a paper vessel. But has anyone noticed what appear to be a pair of park benches near the stern (close to the life saving rings)

Is this just an easter egg like the koala on the Perth, or do they serve some purpose unique to the French Navy?

[ARP]
Supertester
870 posts
10,933 battles

Park benches are an iconic symbol of the French navy. Ever since Napoleon himself sat on a park bench in 1783, they have become a French symbol of getting stuck on islands. Since the French sailors were very superstitious, the Park Bench became a lucky charm to avoid them running aground on islands, and this has been reflected in the game. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles

That's... that's a real thing isn't it? I mean, I don't want to make it seem like I'm questioning your truthiness, but... It's just that right combination of out there and sensible that sounds crazy but HAS to be true.

[TBW]
Members
7,445 posts
13,600 battles

No one has ever seen the bench's before, amazing. Nice for relaxing between battles. Maybe some garlic cheese bread with lots of butter.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
5 hours ago, Teahee said:

Park benches are an iconic symbol of the French navy. Ever since Napoleon himself sat on a park bench in 1783, they have become a French symbol of getting stuck on islands. Since the French sailors were very superstitious, the Park Bench became a lucky charm to avoid them running aground on islands, and this has been reflected in the game. 

As a fellow Australian I am sure you would appreciate my doubts to your answer lol. Would you possibly have a reference somewhere to this information :)

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

No one has ever seen the bench's before, amazing. Nice for relaxing between battles. Maybe some garlic cheese bread with lots of butter.

There are a few threads around discussing these benches. Sadly much of that discussion is of a highly speculative nature lol

[CVA16]
Members
3,166 posts
11,042 battles

It is certainly a theme WG has for the French. I think all the cruisers have them. Not sure about the BBs. I assumed it was based on real practices as WG likes to throw in details. Like the marine landing guns on the St Louis (US tier 3). They actually existed but they are generally hidden behind the lifeboats. Anyone have actual pictures of the benches? Pictures were found of the cannon on board St. Louis era warships.

[AAA]
Members
621 posts
7,149 battles

Algérie has a bench too but it’s not from Napoleon’s time. It dates to WW1 when France parked several BBs at the entrance to the Dardanelles. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles
2 hours ago, wstugamd said:

Algérie has a bench too but it’s not from Napoleon’s time. It dates to WW1 when France parked several BBs at the entrance to the Dardanelles. 

Okay, but why the bench though? What does a park bench have to do with the Dardanelles?

[UEFN]
Members
823 posts
15,562 battles

When i saw the park bench on Henri from test server, for a minute i thought i was sailing a vacation cruise ship on crack.

Sign in to follow this