Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

T8-10 USN Cruisers, Extra Range Feels Like a Curse

13 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,631 battles

With about 9.5 km camo and the default 14.5 km range, USN T8 - 10 cruisers can easily do pop and shoot, using the low range and good camo to do hit and runs.

Feels like the extra range module actually decreases the cruisers' survivability, because it makes more targets able to spot them after shooting.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Agreed - the reload module is the way to go, with these ships.

Playing in close is their strength - with the stealth to get them in there.  Spending ones time firing at range with these ships, is in no way taking advantage of their strengths.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,030 posts
2,780 battles

Yep, that's why I don't run it. Can barely hit anything at max stock range with the arcs anyway, much less the upgraded range.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, NeutralState said:

With about 9.5 km camo and the default 14.5 km range, USN T8 - 10 cruisers can easily do pop and shoot, using the low range and good camo to do hit and runs.

Feels like the extra range module actually decreases the cruisers' survivability, because it makes more targets able to spot them after shooting.

Oh no. Please don't bring your cruiser within 10 kms of my battleship and spam HE at me. I will really hate that! Don't do it!

• Funny 2

[MIA]
Clan Supertester, Supertester
6,442 posts
7,774 battles

At max range yes it is not easy to hit but range is the way to go. Why? You can stay out of fire/instant death range, need I say more? The second 1/2 of extra reload isn't worth it to be honest.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles
58 minutes ago, Kousatsu said:

At max range yes it is not easy to hit but range is the way to go. Why? You can stay out of fire/instant death range, need I say more? The second 1/2 of extra reload isn't worth it to be honest.

QFT. I tried playing my first 100 battles in Des Memes by trying to close support for rando DD’s, and the yahoos wouldn’t even shoot at boats I had lit on radar for 56 seconds. All it did was get me killed and low dmg/29-% wins. Finally I am up to 50% by playing the flanks at range.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
2 hours ago, Kousatsu said:

1 hour ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

QFT. I tried playing my first 100 battles in Des Memes by trying to close support for rando DD’s, and the yahoos wouldn’t even shoot at boats I had lit on radar for 56 seconds. All it did was get me killed and low dmg/29-% wins. Finally I am up to 50% by playing the flanks at range.

Interesting - I guess theres more than one way to skin that cat.

I found NO and Balty to have more impact and success when I play up at the caps, supporting any capping DDs with radar, AA and high alpha AP and HE - but I mostly play DDs, and playing aggressively up on the front line is something I'm used to.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a top player in these ships - but in 47 matches in the NO, I've managed a 65.96% solo WR and 55.9K ave dmg - in the Balty, 63 matches has me at 74.60% solo WR, with a 64.8K ave dmg - and in many of those matches, I felt like the ship contributed quite a bit to the win.

I find them to be a challenge - requiring some thought and planning to play effectively - and sometimes that aggressive, early game cap play sees me back in port selecting a new ship to take to battle - but when it works out, it can be glorious - ha ha!

To be fair, though - I found the DM's lack of "tankyness" had me playing it farther back, where I was less infuential - and WR suffered because of it.

I would maintain that Baltimore is (presently) the high-light of the line.

Edited by ddoubletapp1
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
3 hours ago, NeutralState said:

I disagree with you on the final sentence.  Extra range means greater survivability because it means that you have more time to dodge incoming fire.  It doesn't matter if you're an American cruiser or any other nations' cruiser.  Range increases survivability as long as you are skilled in evasive maneuvering.

HOWEVER, with USN cruisers that have floaty shell arcs your long range effectiveness will be less than other cruisers that have flatter shell arcs.  And there's a lot to be said for fighting in close and using whatever terrain you can find to your advantage.  And chances are half decent that you'll be more effective offensively if you fight closer.  You can help increase your survivability in closer by using what smoke you can find, plus using terrain to hide yourself while firing.  Just know that it's not a panacea.  If you get spotted and you're parked behind an island, a BB can toss up a spotter plane and get a good look at you and deliver a Jingles paddlin' before you can get outta Dodge.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Depends on what you like OP.

I prefer the reload module, because I play the ship like I play my Atlanta and Fiji. I support my DDs and hold caps by using islands. I dont use those islands to shoot over, but as a defense to sit behind. 

Great ship for keeping the push alive.

2 hours ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Imho you are the yahoo for not killing the DDs yourself with that 56s radar... 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

DM peek a Boo tactics are the ships strength. Stay away from open water find a suitable position with in range of several ships and Play the peek a Boo.

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,081 battles

Range always helps and your statement about being spotted more easily is patently false except in a very specific circumstance where you have denied LoS to everyone within your range except a far out ship that would suddenly be able to see you if you had larger bloom.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,166 posts
13,758 battles
9 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Depends on what you like OP.

I prefer the reload module, because I play the ship like I play my Atlanta and Fiji. I support my DDs and hold caps by using islands. I dont use those islands to shoot over, but as a defense to sit behind. 

Great ship for keeping the push alive.

Imho you are the yahoo for not killing the DDs yourself with that 56s radar... 

Because I didn't go derpside to every single BB to do it? LOL

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles
39 minutes ago, SkywhaleExpress said:

Because I didn't go derpside to every single BB to do it? LOL

You don't have to go derpside. With some handy use of the islands you ll be fine :)

Sign in to follow this