Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LunaGarjzla

Detonated with 87% hp

17 comments in this topic

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

I believe the the damage by shells/torpedoes is applied before the detonation roll. 

In other words, if you take a torpedo that deals 25% or more of your ships health, you can get detonated even if you were full HP prior to the torpedo hitting. 

Members
260 posts
14,247 battles
22 minutes ago, LunaGarjzla said:

As the title states I was detonated with 87% which should not happen now with the Detonation changes in 0.7.2.I have attached the match that it happen in wit the replay system.

20180326_173028_PZSD106-Fu-Shun_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

Detonation is still a trash mechanic that Wargaming left in for "fun and engaging gameplay". I was detonated in a Tier 4 Clemson by the first salvo from a Tier 4 DD  a V-170  cause apparently each shell from the salvo is calculated separately and I was below 75% after the last shell.

Complete garbage gameplay, nothing has really changed since 0.7.2 except some more pay 2 win Battleships were added.

Edited by BigJohnsonLogan

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
3 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

I believe the the damage by shells/torpedoes is applied before the detonation roll. 

In other words, if you take a torpedo that deals 25% or more of your ships health, you can get detonated even if you were full HP prior to the torpedo hitting. 

You got it.  Any chance of detonation is checked for AFTER damage is applied on a per-attack basis.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
2,881 posts
21,414 battles
3 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Torpedo or a couple good cit hits...somebody broadsides you & gets a cit hit or 2 from the 1st couple shells any 1 of the other shells afterwards (even from the same volley) can cause the detonation.

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
3 minutes ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

Detonation is still a trash mechanic that Wargaming left in for "fun and engaging gameplay". I was detonated in a Tier 4 Clemson by the first salvo from a Tier 4 DD  a V-170  cause apparently each shell from the salvo is calculated separately and I was below 75% on the last shell.

Complete garbage gameplay, nothing has really changed since 0.7.2 except some more pay 2 win Battleships were added.

So a V-170, which does a maximum of 561 damage per HE hit with four guns (2,244 damage) somehow magically did the 2,725 damage necessary to reduce a 10,900hp Clemson to 75% health to greenlight detonations?

• Cool 2

Members
260 posts
14,247 battles
19 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So a V-170, which does a maximum of 561 damage per HE hit with four guns (2,244 damage) somehow magically did the 2,725 damage necessary to reduce a 10,900hp Clemson to 75% health to greenlight detonations?

3VdoBhs.jpg

VwJbGI1.jpg

Don't play math games with a Software Engineer. Look closely, the 8327 in the middle of the explosion.

Detonated at 71% health, PURE GARBAGE.

[WG-CC]
9,934 posts
8,379 battles
Just now, BigJohnsonLogan said:

Don't play math games with a Software Engineer.

You left out the part where you had already taken damage previously. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
2 minutes ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

3VdoBhs.jpg

VwJbGI1.jpg

Don't play math games with a Software Engineer. Look closely, the 8327 in the middle of the explosion.

Yet conveniently omits the fact that damage was already done. If you want to try and [edited] at least try to be competent about it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles
6 minutes ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You left out the part where you had already taken damage previously. 

No he didn't.  The first shot shows that he is down on health.  Just not 75%.

Y'know, I was detonated in a Kongo with (I thought) >75% health a few weeks ago.  I wasn't anal enough to go back and get proof.

AFAICT, that is proof, Big.

Members
260 posts
14,247 battles
3 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Yet conveniently omits the fact that damage was already done. If you want to try and [edited] at least try to be competent about it.

I didn't realize this was going to be a question on my final exam. Sorry I forgot and rounded to the nearest whole number rather than provide 6 decimal places of precision.

Detonated at 0.7178448275862069  health, PURE GARBAGE. 

Is the floating point math working better for you  ?

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles
17 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

N/M.  See below.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles
1 minute ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

Detonated at 0.7178448275862069  health, PURE GARBAGE. 

Huh?  9719/11,600 is 83.8%.

I assume that the first pic was immediately followed by the 2nd, with no intervening damage.  Say it's so, Big.

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles
35 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You got it.  Any chance of detonation is checked for AFTER damage is applied on a per-attack basis.

What??  Well that's a horse of a different color.  (and an unappealing one)

n/m

Members
260 posts
14,247 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Huh?  9719/11,600 is 83.8%.

I assume that the first pic was immediately followed by the 2nd, with no intervening damage.  Say it's so, Big.

Let me write out the math problem long hand.

Clemson had 11600 at start of battle.

Entering cap i took a couple hits from a smoke camper behind the V 170 and was at 9719 as seen in first photo.

V 170 has launched torps and i turned to avoid them, V 170 fired a broadside into me and i was at 8327.

So we get 8327 / 11600 = 71.78448275862069 % when detonation roll failed.

I found the replay too, if it's really necessary . . .

• Boring 1

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

This has been discussed elsewhere too.

Basically, the change from 100% to 75% has no practical effect on detonation frequency.  Mostly because of several factors:

1. Detonation is calculated upon each hit
  2. Detonation is calculated AFTER whatever hit did damage - besides torpedos, both CAs and DDs have a LARGE number of single-hit possibilities that can cause them to go from 100% to 74% or less in one shot, which makes the change pointless.
  3. Large number of hits simultaneously with one that suddenly cause a detonation is indistinguishable (from a User Experience) from single-hit detonations.
  4. The probability of #3 is by far the largest at the beginning of the game, where many ships will have large numbers of opponents targeting them.

Put it this way:  from a User Experience standpoint, there's no difference between having 3 people shoot 20 shells at you and the 2nd one or the 10th one detonating you.  They all arrived near-simultaneously, and the fact that you were 100% after the 1st hit but 74% after the 9th hit makes no difference to having the next one detonate you.

Detonations are just a stupid game mechanic that is demonstrably, provably BAD USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN, and should be removed. They negatively impact user enjoyment, and not just the person who got detonated, too. There's no excuse for keeping them in the game.

Edited by EAnybody
  • Boring 1

Sign in to follow this