Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Blakso

Tier X DDs

22 comments in this topic

[HWIN]
Beta Testers
3 posts
762 battles

So I've been playing a few games up at tier 10 today and have noticed a common trend. This is high tier dds not playing smart. And by that i mean playing like absolute crap. For example a Shimakaze going CV hunting when there are two Yamatos spread apart hunting the last of us down. His excuse? "Being focused by the CV." Well sir you are being focused by him because you are hunting him. For some reason he thought a tier 8 CV was a better option than two easy Yamatos, effectively throwing the game. So of course its not his fault, I'm being spotted by the CVs planes but its my fault because as an AA spec Alabama I should be able to shoot down the planes before I am spotted? I just don't understand the mindset of some of these players... 

Members
2,456 posts
5,222 battles

What are you doing at T10 with 150 battles?

Common trend after "a few battles"?

Cave, Bridge or Common troll?

Edited by Thornir
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
10,656 posts
10 minutes ago, Thornir said:

What are you doing at T10 with 150 battles?

Common trend after "a few battles"?

Cave, Bridge or Common troll?

Perhaps a reroll.

[PVE]
Members
2,880 posts
21,394 battles
21 minutes ago, Blakso said:

So I've been playing a few games up at tier 10 today and have noticed a common trend. This is high tier dds not playing smart. And by that i mean playing like absolute crap. For example a Shimakaze going CV hunting when there are two Yamatos spread apart hunting the last of us down. His excuse? "Being focused by the CV." Well sir you are being focused by him because you are hunting him. For some reason he thought a tier 8 CV was a better option than two easy Yamatos, effectively throwing the game. So of course its not his fault, I'm being spotted by the CVs planes but its my fault because as an AA spec Atlanta I should be able to shoot down the planes before I am spotted? I just don't understand the mindset of some of these players... 

T10 w/150 battles & an Atlanta in a T10...div fail much?

Strike that...you don't even have the Atlanta...maybe you meant the Alabama.

Anyway what was your original user name as you didn't get that good in a T8 BB w/just 150 games obviously.

[HWIN]
Beta Testers
3 posts
762 battles

I switched over from the EU server and have just been having a hell of a time. Still a little rusty tbh.

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
26 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Perhaps a reroll.

Perhaps a player with a well played account on another server, and this is just his NA account.

NVM.... missed the last post.  I was spot on.

Edited by Crucis

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
50 minutes ago, Blakso said:

So I've been playing a few games up at tier 10 today and have noticed a common trend. This is high tier dds not playing smart. And by that i mean playing like absolute crap. For example a Shimakaze going CV hunting when there are two Yamatos spread apart hunting the last of us down. His excuse? "Being focused by the CV." Well sir you are being focused by him because you are hunting him. For some reason he thought a tier 8 CV was a better option than two easy Yamatos, effectively throwing the game. So of course its not his fault, I'm being spotted by the CVs planes but its my fault because as an AA spec Alabama I should be able to shoot down the planes before I am spotted? I just don't understand the mindset of some of these players... 

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that it's usually a waste of time for DDs to go CV hunting at high tiers, with the possible exception of the 2 tier 10 Russian gunboat DDs. 

My experience is that high tier CVs are too fast for most DDs to run down.  Have armored decks that are too difficult for most DDs to damage with guns. And are just too maneuverable for you to hit with torps if you catch them on the move and clearly aware of your presence. 

If you get drop dead lucky, you might catch one hiding behind an island flat footed and be able to massacre him.  I did this in my Khab a couple weeks back with an Enterprise hiding behind an island near B cap on Islands of Ice.  I didn't even know or suspect that he was there.   I went around the island and OMG!!! It's a CV at like 3-4 km, sitting bow in to the island!  So I just moved close and used my torps (that almost never get used since the great Khab torp nerf) and blew him away. 

But I've also had battles in like tier 8-9 USN/PA DDs where I had shots on CVs and I could barely scratch them.  And all I ended up doing was annoying them and causing them to send planes after me.  So, honestly, it's better IMO for DDs at high tiers to just not bother trying to go carrier hunting unless it's the last ship on the enemy team.  Better to hunt for easier game.

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
33 minutes ago, RinzlerCobra said:

This is me with my Destroyer after my whole team is wiped out...

lol

dat DD life can be so intense at times...

Somewhere out there is a gif of a savanna zebra with a destroyer icon, suddenly spotting and running away from a bunch of lions with cruiser icons.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Funny 1

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,147 posts
6,651 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I've come to the conclusion that it's usually a waste of time for DDs to go CV hunting at high tiers, with the possible exception of the 2 tier 10 Russian gunboat DDs. 

Well unless there's nothing else left to do, it's usually a poor use of a destroyer at any tier.  It might be worse at T10, but it's rarely a good plan to go off on an expedition by yourself in a destroyer as it robs the team of spotting and the ability to play the objectives.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
2 minutes ago, K538 said:

Well unless there's nothing else left to do, it's usually a poor use of a destroyer at any tier.  It might be worse at T10, but it's rarely a good plan to go off on an expedition by yourself in a destroyer as it robs the team of spotting and the ability to play the objectives.

I don’t specifically do it to hunt carriers, but if given the chance to get around the Red’s flank I usually take it. Makes it easy to spot annoying heavy tanks and TDs, I mean rock camping ships...

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
8 minutes ago, K538 said:

Yeah, but that's a reason entirely different from the one I was giving.  My point was that regardless of your worthy point, it can be useless to hunt the DD because you may find it nearly impossible to kill him if you do find him, and if he has planes left, he'll just nuke you for your troubles.  So, that said, why bother trying to hunt something that might be next to impossible to kill unless you get ridiculously lucky to find him completely unmoving and unable to get away from you, which isn't likely unless then CV player is a complete fool.

So, basically, not only has the DD failed in the ways you outline, but they are wasting their time because they often won't even be able to kill the CV if and when they do find him.  Pretty much a total fail all around.

I will say that a Khab may have a better chance than most DDs to hurt a high tier CV.  BUT ... a very BIG but... It'll take a pretty long time to pew-pew-pew a CV to death during which time, he'll be coming after you, unless he's out of planes.

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I don’t specifically do it to hunt carriers, but if given the chance to get around the Red’s flank I usually take it. Makes it easy to spot annoying heavy tanks and TDs, I mean rock camping ships...

The problem is that it's great for spotting.  But if you ever do a single thing that causes the enemy to realize you're there, i.e. firing torps, firing guns, laying smoke (to smoke shoot), or even get located by the RL skill, you're in a world of hurt when the enemy decides to try to hunt you down.  (And you're really toast if the enemy has a carrier.)

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that it's great for spotting.  But if you ever do a single thing that causes the enemy to realize you're there, i.e. firing torps, firing guns, laying smoke (to smoke shoot), or even get located by the RL skill, you're in a world of hurt when the enemy decides to try to hunt you down.  (And you're really toast if the enemy has a carrier.)

Valid points; but if your team is on the ball and not completely hopeless; getting seen/chased can be a worthy use of a destroyer. Assets hunting a single destroyer in the back area are assets not (generally) being focused down range.

I don’t tend to be afraid of any single enemy, except perhaps another destroyer. Getting chased by a carrier is 1-2 strikes minimum that aren’t being sent at allies, and if more than one ship tries to hunt you down, that’s even better...

...again; as long as your team is smart enough to take advantage of the diverted firepower.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
9 hours ago, RinzlerCobra said:

This is me with my Destroyer after my whole team is wiped out

I have been there too Rinzler! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[HWIN]
Beta Testers
3 posts
762 battles
16 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Valid points; but if your team is on the ball and not completely hopeless; getting seen/chased can be a worthy use of a destroyer. Assets hunting a single destroyer in the back area are assets not (generally) being focused down range.

I don’t tend to be afraid of any single enemy, except perhaps another destroyer. Getting chased by a carrier is 1-2 strikes minimum that aren’t being sent at allies, and if more than one ship tries to hunt you down, that’s even better...

...again; as long as your team is smart enough to take advantage of the diverted firepower.

In the one situation (the one the made write this because it was so bad) We needed the DD against the two seperated Yamatos not the CV. That DD has crapguns too so it makes CV hunting even worse.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,822 battles
On 3/26/2018 at 6:01 PM, RipNuN2 said:

Perhaps a reroll.

Blasko is not a reroll and he isn't a Euro or anything else weird.  He just wanted to get an honest response without being lectured and scolded by people with a million battles and no progression for invading their tier (and beating them at it, which he does)

[HINON]
Members
10,656 posts
27 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Blasko is not a reroll and he isn't a Euro or anything else weird.  He just wanted to get an honest response without being lectured and scolded by people with a million battles and no progression for invading their tier (and beating them at it, which he does)

Earlier in the thread he said he moved from the euro server which makes more sense. Not sure why you are so defensive when I was just speculating how someone with so few battles could be in t10 matches.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,822 battles

he isn't from Euro he just wanted to prevent his thread from further being derailed by the likes of Thornir

We play Tier VIIIs sometime and as we all know Tier VIII is Tier XD

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,822 battles

Blasko is completely right tho.

CV hunting is almost always such a dumb thing.

I actually want to see an enemy DD try and hunt a Graf Zeppelin on my team.  There will be many luls to be had.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,773 posts
4,145 battles

Will you please go away now?  I can't recall a more pushy and derisive attitude from a forum member. 

Sign in to follow this