You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Fletcher- Pure frustration

41 comments in this topic

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

I know how excellent this ship is. I know how capable it is. I also know how utterly horrible I am in it. The only upgrade I have is the hull upgrade, but I almost have the torpedo upgrade. Every battle I do basically nothing. I'm lucky to get 40,000 damage. I think I've landed 1 torpedo total in all of my battles (partly because the stock torpedoes aren't that great, partly because I die too early). If I try to push onto caps and contest, I get wiped out by cruisers. If I stay back and play like a torpedo boat, nothing gets done because I can't land torpedoes. I've watched videos and guides but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My build is PM, LS, SE, CE (only 10 points right now). I'm using the gun reload mod but I'm not sure if I should swap that to torpedo reload mod. I'm also not sure if I should get torpedo rearm, BFT, or superintendent for my next skill.  Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated

• Cool 1

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,944 battles

Use Torp reload mod. Your gun reload is already pretty good, so benefit from that is not as good as from torp reload mod.

Contest caps, but be smart and don't overextend. Don't hesitate to get out if things get hot

For next skill, adrenaline rush, superintendent, RPF, or torp rearm all valid. Personally, my preference is in order listed.

You are hybrid DD, so don't over focus on torpedo damage, torp targets of opportunity, but your main job is to counter enemy dds. 

Know the range and duration of radar ships, stay clear of them if you're not sure they have use it yet. More importantly, if they don't know you're there, don't give them a reason to use radar until it's too late. (like smoking in front of them). 

Hope these help, and have fun playing fletcher, it's a great ship!

• Cool 1

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles
7 minutes ago, axyarthur said:

Contest caps, but be smart and don't overextend. Don't hesitate to get out if things get hot

Usually what happens if I do this is either 

1. I die

2. I barely make it out alive with no health remaining

[RLGN]
Members
10,056 posts
19,462 battles

Do you have the concealment module? (Fifth or sixth slot?)

Play mine more like IJN. Scout and spot, watch for opportunities to torp, (preferably from ambush,) and cap when possible.

As far as I’m concerned, capping right away in the current radar/hydro meta is lunatic and suicidal. Better to spot enemies for allies to shoot at, and cap later...

...though I’m sure players who find contesting caps as easy as shooting fish in a barrel would feel otherwise.

• Cool 1

[SQUAD]
Members
8,017 posts
8,371 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Play mine more like IJN. Scout and spot, watch for opportunities to torp, (preferably from ambush,) and cap when possible.

As far as I’m concerned, capping right away in the current radar/hydro meta is lunatic and suicidal. Better to spot enemies for allies to shoot at, and cap later...

...though I’m sure players who find contesting caps as easy as shooting fish in a barrel would feel otherwise.

I agree with Est, I play mine more like an IJN torp boat that happens to have good guns.

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

I tried a more passive game, and grouped up with a Loyang. We carefully took B and then went to C. I put some solid AP damage into a nearby cruiser and then rained some HE on battleships until the game ended. I think I'm starting to figure this ship out a little, but I think that battle went so well because the enemy's destroyers went off on their own and didn't do much. I'm noticing that I have a much better chance of winning if I coordinate with other destroyers and cruisers (if I get lucky and have good teammates).

5ab972ed36871_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_03.26-15_23_02_91.thumb.png.24360e9da16d1e48db66cbc2c5f96256.png 

5ab9739161493_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_03.26-15_23_53_50.thumb.png.2672aaa3c8a3a7ad99b09fd6d95d7409.png

14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yes, I have full concealment. I'm wondering if I should swap the gun reload mod for the torp reload mod (I'm reluctant to since I gunboat so much, which is why I'm thinking about getting BFT next)

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,944 battles
12 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Usually what happens if I do this is either 

1. I die

2. I barely make it out alive with no health remaining

Well, what I usually do when I cap is enter cap, but stay on the edge, and either slow down, or reverse so that my bow points away from the cap so if anything happens, I can smoke up and immediately conceal myself, or get out quickly. At higher tiers, the caps are usually big enough that it is larger than your concealment, so when you're in the cap, you can see by whether or not the cap is being challenge by the enemy if you can be spotted by enemy DD. In general, your concealment is good enough that any DD that is a gun threat to you has same or larger detection than you (US, GER, RU DDs), and anything that can outspot you is not a gun threat (IJN DDs). For radars, the American radars have slightly shorter range than their concealment, so if you spot them, be ready to run away. Since they don't have great range, you can get out of their range quickly. For Russian radars, T9 and T10 have worse concealment than radar range, so you have ample time to get out if you spot them. Chappy is bit tricky, since their detection is more than 1km less than their radar, but the radar is short enough that you should be able to dodge some of the shells. Also, if you spot a lot of enemy ships on your flank and you have little support, don't wait for the radar to lit you before bailing. Even if you are radar, see how many ships are shooting at you, if it's only 2 or 3, you can usually get out of it alright, problem is when 5 or 6 people opening up, then you will lose a lot of health.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,215 posts
14,118 battles

I was horrible in Fletcher, I mean really bad. Mahan I had very good games.

As soon as I could I got out of Fletcher. Gearing is a different beast. 

My 4th game set my all time high damage, over 220k, on a loss....

I can't win worth crap in her, but damage and fun factor way up....

She is my clan wars ship replacing my shimmy.

So far I'm averaging only 1 kill, but our team is winning more than losing.

I know Fletcher is a better gun boat, but Gearing is much better all arounder.

[BTH]
Beta Testers
198 posts
4,672 battles

Check out Youtube for some instructional video's. They will help, as will researching all modules for Fletcher.

Gearing is, at best, a sideways upgrade for USN DDs, so learn to play her and enjoy it. Only ship I have perma camo on is Fletch.

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

I know Fletcher is a better gun boat

That's not true. Fletcher has 5 guns with a 3.3 second base reload while Gearing has 6 guns with 3 second base reload. When fully modded for reloads, Fletcher fires around 115 RPM where Gearing can dish out over 150 RPM. 

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

The 11kts upgrade to speed on the torps really puts this ship into context, get them ASAP. Use the torpedo re-arming skill before any other 3 point, and use the torpedo module.

Now you're one of the very best torpedo boats in the game. With a sub 90 second torpedo turnaround on 10 of the faster and sneakier fish, it should begin to shine for you.

Early game you wand to touch the cap and be ready to run. If your teammates abandon you don't even bother to hang around unless you know you can take the cap without contest. Your goal is to drop fish before anything else, so stay alive.

Don't get in knife fights unless you have good support and they have none.

Edited by X15

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,944 battles
9 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I know Fletcher is a better gun boat, but Gearing is much better all arounder.

6 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

That's not true. Fletcher has 5 guns with a 3.3 second base reload while Gearing has 6 guns with 3 second base reload. When fully modded for reloads, Fletcher fires around 115 RPM where Gearing can dish out over 150 RPM. 

Gearing definitely has better guns, but what I find frustrating about Gearing is that it's larger and has worse maneuverability, which means you can't dodge shells and torps as well, and when you get hit by AP, you're more likely to eat full pen damage. 

Gearing torps I would say it's a side grade at best. You gain 6 km range, but the torps do less damage and reload a lot slower. That's why I advocate giving Gearing the option of mounting same torps as Fletcher, it would be more flexible. You can go for more damage and reload, or more range.

Members
339 posts
5,488 battles

The higher you go, the more important it becomes to watch the minimap, know your opponents, and play patient. The Fletcher has the range and stealth to control most engagements or at least be at par with others, so there's no reason you should be dying other than not being careful. 

The ideal Fletcher build, IMO, is (not in this order): PM, LS, AR, SE, Torp Arm. Exp., CE, RPF. with torpedo module. 

Don't force caps in the presence of other DDs (especially Germans) and radar ships. Don't sit in smoke around them either. 

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles

image.png.79a34929e2bc8c6f1abe9839dc2eacaf.png

For what its worth, this is how I spec'd my Fletcher captain. Your mileage may vary, but I haven't found a need for four smokes. I like AFT because at T9-10 many BB drivers stop or slowly reverse, meaning that you can hit them with Fletcher guns even at 13-15 kms. It is also good for the AA. Here are my upgrade modules:
image.png.27ca4fa5dadedf1d4d8e4619129c7bf7.png

I dont take the torp reload boost captains skill because it is usually not worth it anymore after they gimped it last year. Fletch has torpedoes up pretty fast and I seldom find myself without them when needed.

High tier DD play is now a trial and I seldom do it. I've stopped playing T10 DDs entirely, and play Udaloi, Yug, and Fletch only occasionally. There's a reason that so many BBs show up in high tier matches, except at off-peak hours.

As soon as game loads study the MM. Note radar ships and VMF gunboat DDs, those will be problems. Call for BBs to kill the radar ships. 

You can make life easier for yourself by avoiding the stupidly cramped caps like B on Sea of Fortune  and Loop -- what idiotic mapmaking that was, yet another reminder that the devs dont actually play the game. On North, avoid B early, since it can easily be radared. Go A (sweep round the side and enter so you have good torp angles on ships by the island) or C. On Sleeping Giant curse the mapmakers for yet another stupid cramped crappy map, and then head C. B is often a deathtrap early. If you can get in A you can do much mischief. On Islands of Ice of course B or C, ditto for Okinawa and Fire. 

As soon as you get in game, announce which cap you are going to so players follow -- most players like to support their DDs and people will come to help. WOWs players are mostly cool, and we notice the jerks because they stand out. 

Have a plan to exit the cap before you enter, and position yourself so you are bow or stern on to the opposing team, to minimize torp risks. Never smoke in a cap, it announces where you are and blocks your team's view. Sometimes it is good to circle round a cap and recon first. You can also let the reds in and then contest, since if they start to cap they will be forced to stay.

In Fletch I ALWAYS set out blind torps right away when I enter a cap at areas where DDs will likely show. DD drivers prefer certain spaces and I get many kills that way (more so in Yug than Fletch). Blind torps is best, we say.

For me the key to Fletch play is stubbornness. Leave the cap when necessary, but keep returning to contest it. Eventually it will be yours. 

Finally, pay attention to others. Call out the plan early. Watch for stupidity -- on Okinawa many idiots like to pile in A, which is almost always a loss. On Fire, people like to drive out to the islands in C chasing ships, costing their team the match. Reminders for people to get back to the center are usually necessary. Of course, as we know, real men dont take good advice....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,215 posts
14,118 battles
15 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I' at work now on my phone so I can't see my build.

I know I run PT, LS, CE, RE & RPF. 

I use a 19 point captain and a build for clan wars.

I think I have torp reload, AR and BFT, but not sure.

I seldom get outgunned in a 1 v 1...

For me I just couldn' get Fletcher to click, Gearing is comfortable.

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
4 hours ago, X15 said:

The 11kts upgrade to speed on the torps really puts this ship into context, get them ASAP. Use the torpedo re-arming skill before any other 3 point, and use the torpedo module.

Now you're one of the very best torpedo boats in the game. With a sub 90 second torpedo turnaround on 10 of the faster and sneakier fish, it should begin to shine for you.

Early game you wand to touch the cap and be ready to run. If your teammates abandon you don't even bother to hang around unless you know you can take the cap without contest. Your goal is to drop fish before anything else, so stay alive.

Don't get in knife fights unless you have good support and they have none.

I disagree with this.  I'd put it a different way.  

Whenever you are considering getting into a DD vs DD brawl, you want to consider a number of things.

1. It's best to do it when the enemy is unsupported, whether you have support or not.  Obviously better if you are.  But there are times when it's fine to get into brawls when unsupported.  

2. You don't want to get into brawls against DDs that are better brawlers than your DD is, unless perhaps you have a lot more health remaining than the enemy DD.  For example, you don't want to go 1v1 against a Gearing.  In truth, I also don't suggest 1v1-ing DDs that are equally good brawlers, because they usually end up with both DDs getting wrecked.

3. If you spot an enemy DD before he spots you, check out some things.  Is the DD an equal or better brawler than yours?  Are the enemy DDs turrets aimed away from you?  This one's very important, particularly if the enemy DD has slow turrets.  If you catch an enemy DD with slow rotating turrets aimed to the other side of his ship away from you, absolutely engage him, though be careful of torpedoes.  This DD is ripe for the picking!!!

4. It helps a LOT to know if the DD you're considering engaging in a brawl has recently fired torps.  Plus be aware if the enemy DD is an IJN DD that might have a torp reload booster.  It also helps to realize if the DD is a PA DD or not, i.e. uses DWTs that cannot hit you.  If you know that the enemy can't hit you with any torps, it allows you to be more aggressive if you want to be.

5. If you're in a USN DD (like a Fletcher) or a high tier PA DD (the ones based on USN DDs), I suggest not opening fire on DDs you intend to brawl until you get detected or perhaps just before getting detected.  If you open up on some DD you want to brawl at like 8-9 km, you're giving him a much better chance to escape from you than if you hold your fire to closer to 6 km where you have him much deeper into your gun range and at a range where your guns are more accurate.

6. If you start a brawl with an enemy DD and you  get the feeling that the other player is a better brawler than you or that the brawl will just get you both killed, don't be afraid to disengage to live and fight another day (or another minute).  Unless there's a critical need to get a specific enemy DD dead, there's usually no need to fight every brawl to the death.  If you clearly feel that you have the upper hand and are crushing the enemy DD, go ahead and finish him off.  But if it's the other way around, do not be afraid to turn away, pop smoke, hit your speed boost and run run run!!!

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
2 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I know how excellent this ship is. I know how capable it is. I also know how utterly horrible I am in it. The only upgrade I have is the hull upgrade, but I almost have the torpedo upgrade. Every battle I do basically nothing. I'm lucky to get 40,000 damage. I think I've landed 1 torpedo total in all of my battles (partly because the stock torpedoes aren't that great, partly because I die too early). If I try to push onto caps and contest, I get wiped out by cruisers. If I stay back and play like a torpedo boat, nothing gets done because I can't land torpedoes. I've watched videos and guides but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. My build is PM, LS, SE, CE (only 10 points right now). I'm using the gun reload mod but I'm not sure if I should swap that to torpedo reload mod. I'm also not sure if I should get torpedo rearm, BFT, or superintendent for my next skill.  Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated

It gets beeter once fully equipped.  Finding that sweet spot of play in high-tier matches while playing a destroyer can be a challenge.  High-tier play can be punitive.  Keep at it and you'll find that balance.

EDIT: You might want to consider Superintendent for your level 3 skill.  That is an essential skill for destroyer captains.  Get Survival Expert on the next run down the skills.

Edited by Kuckoo

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
12 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

It gets beeter once fully equipped.  Finding that sweet spot of play in high-tier matches while playing a destroyer can be a challenge.  High-tier play can be punitive.  Keep at it and you'll find that balance.

EDIT: You might want to consider Superintendent for your level 3 skill.  That is an essential skill for destroyer captains.  Get Survival Expert on the next run down the skills.

Survival Expert is an important skill for any brawling DD to have.  Not so much if you're an IJN DD that seeks to avoid DD brawls.  And yes, Superintendent is also a very good DD skill, because of all those nice consumables that you want to use over and over again.

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

Even with the torpedo upgrade I'm still struggling to do anything in this ship. Every game I finish with somewhere around 30k damage. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,040 posts
19,932 battles
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Even with the torpedo upgrade I'm still struggling to do anything in this ship. Every game I finish with somewhere around 30k damage. 

25 minutes ago, Ajax_the_Great1 said:

Damage isn't everything. Contest caps, win caps, shoot dds and win.

^Exactly this.

Unless you're an IJN DD whose role is mostly about spotting and torping enemy heavies or perhaps Russian DDs who are more into harassment of the enemy and I suppose "offensive recon", the role of most DDs is about doing the little things like spotting enemy ships and enemy torpedoes, contesting caps, counter DD work, and so on.  You can have great XP games doing that job.  And if you happen to have a good game with your torps and rack up some more  serious damage, so much the better.

But the job of a Fletcher really isn't about raw damage production.  It's about doing all those little things.

[H_]
Members
446 posts
9,021 battles

Having just got the Fletcher myself this thread is awesome..  Can't wait to upgrade to the better torps.  I have been struggling with it and over last weekend when I got it I just got wrecked pretty much all the time. I have since then have had a few good games.  Only 14 pt capt..  so the advice on skills is very helpful.

Between this and figuring out the Kiev at the same time.. it's been a hoot, frustrating to say the least but still fun. 

Thanks for the thoughts,

PS: I find that at the higher tiers folks are not as concerned about the DD's rushing into the cap initially like you see in lower tiers, but I also see a lot of times where when you do and it's "HOT" folks run away pretty fast leaving the DD to fend for themselves, which honestly sucks with radar, hydro etc..

Still learning.. curbing those tendencies to be overly aggressive.. :)

Thanks for the advice.

[CRMSN]
5,852 posts
4,153 battles
15 hours ago, CarbonButtprint said:

How close you dropping your torp spreads?