Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

new orleans vs baltimore, which is easier grind?

22 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts

it seems current baltimore has worse stats than NO?

i am thinking do i grind new orleans now before split, or wait until t8 becomes baltimore and grind that instead?

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles

If you are still on NOLA when the split happens, you will get a Tier VII NOLA and not the new Tier VIII Baltimore.  If you had Baltimore at Tier IX, when the split occurs you will get the VIII Baltimore.

If your end-goal was Des Memes, then just keep plowing through and get 1 of the only 2 good USN Cruisers from this tech tree line (the other being Cleveland).

Upcoming Tier VIII Baltimore stats as it stands right now.

Current Tier VIII New Orleans if you want to compare.  VIII Baltimore *should* keep her SHS shells.  She will also have 27mm bow, so she can face tank up to 380mm AP, something NOLA couldn't do.  For Tier VIII Cruisers, only Adm.Hipper / Prinz Eugen could say that.  VIII Baltimore will be an addition to that category.  Her AA should be superior than what NOLA currently has.  But there's some tradeoffs from her downtiering, some expected because of going from IX->VIII.  The loss of repair party is a big deal and her reload time will be nerfed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you are still on NOLA when the split happens, you will get a Tier VII NOLA and not the new Tier VIII Baltimore.  If you had Baltimore at Tier IX, when the split occurs you will get the VIII Baltimore.

This is incorrect.

You ground to tier 8 and you get to stay there. If you have the tier 9 Baltimore, you'll get the tier 9 Buffalo.

This has been the case for previous splits and we can continue to assume it will remain unless stated otherwise by WG.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[MIA]
Supertester, -Members-
6,440 posts
7,774 battles

Baltimore is easier to grind imho.

• Cool 2

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

To answer OP's question, Baltimore is probably going to be easier. NO is a good ship in great hands, and a terrible ship in average hands. It relies entirely on the choices of the user and has nothing to keep you alive when you mess up. Baltimore on the other hand is surprisingly tanky without giving up the concealment and much maneuverability.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,157 posts
17,538 battles

Here's the catch.

How long do you intend to kick the can down the road to work towards Des Memes?  The split isn't happening in the next few weeks, maybe even month.

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,873 battles
26 minutes ago, Kousatsu said:

Baltimore is easier to grind imho.

It's been too long to remember but I recall stock Baltimore not being pleasant, pre-buff mind you.

Since the buff, Baltimore has been quite fun, fully upgraded with MB3.

Beta Testers
3 posts
6,897 battles

In my experience, definitely Baltimore. I found the NO to be okay, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the Baltimore and have even been enjoying it. It should also prepare you better for the Des Moines playstyle. Just don't take the range module for it.

[BTLST]
Members
381 posts
9,943 battles

I just bought Baltimore last week, and it's a much more pleasant ship than I had anticipated, I really like it... More than I liked Nawlins, hands down.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Here's the catch.

How long do you intend to kick the can down the road to work towards Des Memes?  The split isn't happening in the next few weeks, maybe even month.

i am not even sure i want to go up to DM, currently i am grinding Donskoi

i am not that interested in DM play style, hug island? not my cup of tea, i am more interested in CL line, related question is, regardless of what ships you have, everyone has to grind cleveland to seattle after split, right?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

I keep forgetting I have the Baltimore... vs the NO it is more comfy to play I think due to the flatter (somewhat) shell ark, more refined handing, and it just looks more like a real ship.  I had to toss that in.  I loved the NO and hope they do a premium off her.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,302 posts
7,554 battles
14 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i am not even sure i want to go up to DM, currently i am grinding Donskoi

i am not that interested in DM play style, hug island? not my cup of tea, i am more interested in CL line, related question is, regardless of what ships you have, everyone has to grind cleveland to seattle after split, right?

If you dislike island humping, the USN CLs don’t look to be any better than Des Moines.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 hour ago, X15 said:

To answer OP's question, Baltimore is probably going to be easier. NO is a good ship in great hands, and a terrible ship in average hands. It relies entirely on the choices of the user and has nothing to keep you alive when you mess up. Baltimore on the other hand is surprisingly tanky without giving up the concealment and much maneuverability.

Absolutely right.

It's surprising how tough the Baltimore is.  She is noticeably much more resilient than almost every other cruiser I've played.  I can get away with things in the Baltimore that I would never think of doing in others.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,700 posts

I got lucky, and tier 8 Ranked appeared when I was in the mid to late stage of my N.O. grind, so it was greatly accelerated.   I can't emphasize enough how much the tier 8 only format benefited that ship, lol.   Plus, being one of only 2 ships with radar, it had a useful purpose.

All in all, I didn't think the grind was too bad- and this is coming from a Co-op player with the much reduced xp payouts.   LONG, but I like the US CA playstyle.  ( I really liked Pensacola, too so... lol)

I'm on Baltimore right now.   LOVE the ship as is, and I'm SOOO not looking forward to the upcoming epic nerfing.   I find it kind of feast or famine, depending on what the bots (or red team) do- if they're out for YOUR blood, the match will probably suck, lol.  (like it does in virtually every other ship)  If you get left alone to do your thing- or find lots of oblivious BB's obligingly showing you their broadside whilst looking elsewhere, you can clean house!    Great guns with a fantastic reload,  god mode AA. radar, a heal, and armor that's tanky enough to protect you, as long as you aren't being foolish.  (or on a hungry Yamato's radar screen.)

With that said, the grind to tier 10 is a very long one.   How long depends on how much you like the ship!

I'd say, do what you need to do to get Baltimore before the split, as it will maximize the number of free ships you'll get.   Nothing like getting a free tier 9 ship- those things ain't cheap!!  Plus the tier 6 CL, and a tier 8 Cleveland.   

[WOLF1]
Members
2,535 posts
25 minutes ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

If you dislike island humping, the USN CLs don’t look to be any better than Des Moines.

I hope the CL t10 can evade better than DM, more agile

Members
9,534 posts
11,871 battles
1 hour ago, X15 said:

its getting front plate reduced when it goes to t8.    won't be able to tank as well.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles
4 minutes ago, centarina said:

its getting front plate reduced when it goes to t8.    won't be able to tank as well.

The Dev blog says you're wrong. And the 27 mm bow isn't the only reason it tanks well. Most things don't have 15 inch guns.

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Well so far I am loving the New Orleans. Played my first 8 battles in it tonight and am averaging 63k damage and a 85% win rate. I am sure that will not hold but  I had some great teams tonight!

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

Balty is hands-down, the strongest T9 cruiser in the game - when played to her strengths (which is not cruising around in the open, far from the nearest cap, slinging HE at range).

She is also the most capable of influencing a match outcome, at that tier (all this imho, of course).

I took such a shine to her that I moved Steven Seagal (now John Doe) back down to the Baltimore from the DM, as I prefer the ship much more.

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles

I enjoyed both New Orleans and Baltimore and accumulated pretty good stats in both of them.  USN CA's are difficult to play because they have a lot of weaknesses, but they also have some major strengths and can be very powerful if you are able to consistently leverage them. 

Overall I think Baltimore is the more powerful of the two, though.  It's a significantly better AA platform and the addition of Repair Party and the tier 9 module slot is a big thing for all cruisers.  You'll fear being uptiered a lot less thanks to those two things.

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,868 battles

I was not looking forward to the New Orleans grind - just staring at 165000xp to get to the Baltimore made it difficult to start...   but I am pleasantly surprised, I'm not doing exceptionally well, but I get a good game in every now and then.

The New Orleans grind hasn't been bad so far and I'm really surprised how fast its going.  just 45,000k XP left to go before I unlock Baltimore.

I already have John Doe as my first and only 19-point captain on New Orleans, so I'll probably move Doe up to Baltimore and see how far I can get to Des Moines before the split.

I don't know why, but I was deathly afraid of facing Des Moines with it's really short reload in a New Orleans, but now that I see them frequently and I'm not autodeleted immediately and I've managed to get a few citidels against Des Moines a few times, I'm discovering that the DM is not the bogeyman I feared it to be.

Edited by wtfovr

Sign in to follow this