Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gledr

can we get a forced shutdown when the game crashes

19 comments in this topic

[AFK]
Members
73 posts
4,815 battles

this game loves to crash before the match has loaded and since it asks for the confirmation in game even when i try to close it form the taskbar 

I have to restart my computer and the game is already over by the time i open the game up again.

Even if i click the in game confirmation it doesn't close the game

Edited by gledr

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,251 battles

If the game freezes and won't let you load task manager, Open up a second desktop via (Wnds + Tab) and open it up there. It's saved me from a full restart multiple times

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
2 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Task manager, end task. That works for me. 

The odd time mine crashes, that works to close the game, but it never loads back in properly unless I reboot.  I usually still get in before the battle starts though considering I use a SSD for Windows and this game.

Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

So you want them to drop a game with 23 other people when one has an issue?  Yea - that won't cause problems.  As others have said - Task Manager and kill the game instance and restart the game.  Should get you in in less than 1 minute - 1.5 at the very most.

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,251 battles
3 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

So you want them to drop a game with 23 other people when one has an issue?  Yea - that won't cause problems.  As others have said - Task Manager and kill the game instance and restart the game.  Should get you in in less than 1 minute - 1.5 at the very most.

I think he means force shut-down of his own game client... not every player in the match

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,318 battles
3 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

The odd time mine crashes, that works to close the game, but it never loads back in properly unless I reboot.  I usually still get in before the battle starts though considering I use a SSD for Windows and this game.

I have an old laptop I play on that is pretty slow. Takes like 10-15 minutes to get up to full speed after a restart. I always CTRL+ALT+delete to end it and it works fine. I’d be out of luck if I had to reboot.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,419 posts
3,895 battles

It shuts down immediately if you kill the process in Task Manager.

[HEROS]
Members
1,567 posts
13,485 battles

Wouldn't it be nice if the game would simply close it's self when it crashes but to do that you need a seperate app that monitors the game  (of course what if the monitoring app crashes?  Oh oh!)

A lot of player have no idea of how to tell when their game stops responding.  I do, but I know I am NOT in the majority.   Because of it, you get players that are AFK the entire match because....  wait for it... They Don't Know Their Game Has Crashed!  Don't know how to bring up tank manager..don't know what task manager tells them, and don't know how to shut a process down in task manager.   The solution how ever is not giving them a Karma strike or cursing them out.. it's educating them!

(((PSSSST! CC's.. great big opportunity for an instructional video here!  You don't have to actually record a game crash in progress... just how to tell it's crashed, and how to quickly recover from it!))

What causes the crash?  Sometimes a memory leak.  Sometimes a bad register in your RAM..you got me...could be adds on, could be someone else's add on (some geniuses say "No that's not possible noob!"..yea I've been gaming on the net for most of 30 years.. I'm right, they're wrong.  I'm a computer tech... ya gotta know how things work)  Could be a less then optimal driver set..the possible reason are legion.

But even on a potato minimum spec computer if you've figured out your game has crashed, you can relaunch the game and be back in before the match is over and hopefully contribute to more then a loss or the infamous "You have not contributed in this battle".   I've usually made it back in in just under 5 minutes. 

The whole process happens much faster if your prepared for it.  And the one for sure way to prepare is to open task manager and leave it open while you play so you can "SHift-TAB" to it, close just the warships process, wait for the launcher to reset,  and press the play button.  then wait for the game to load, re log in, and wait for the match to reload.. and hope no one sunk you yet   (that include low intellect window lickers with a serious lack of socializing skills on your own team)

DO it boy scout style.. "Be Prepared!"

and I am seriously envious of the PC Master race types who games never crash, never lag, never stutter.. and I'm pretty sure they're lieing the whole thing!

Warlord sends

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,567 battles
2 hours ago, gledr said:

this game loves to crash before the match has loaded and since it asks for the confirmation in game even when i try to close it form the taskbar 

I have to restart my computer and the game is already over by the time i open the game up again.

Even if i click the in game confirmation it doesn't close the game

When this happens to me I hit the ESC key and it asks if I want to end the game. A widow pops up and says the game has stopped working. I can usually get back into the battle about 10 to 15 seconds late.

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
3 hours ago, _Pixi_ said:

If the game freezes and won't let you load task manager, Open up a second desktop via (Wnds + Tab) and open it up there. It's saved me from a full restart multiple times

Good tip! Thanks for this!

[WOLF9]
Members
8,784 posts
4,145 battles

In Win7, if it locks up the Desktop (rare but it happens), hit <ctrl-alt-del> a couple times.  This will trap out to a non-Desktop menu that lets you start Task Manager (or Restart), and from there you can kill wows.exe.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,707 posts
9,439 battles
5 hours ago, _Pixi_ said:

Doesn't seem to work for 8.1, which I run. If mine freezes, I have no choice but to force reboot.

[-KAK-]
Members
98 posts
4,251 battles
4 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Doesn't seem to work for 8.1, which I run. If mine freezes, I have no choice but to force reboot.

Ah, that's fair. I've helped friends in a few scenarios but I believe they're all running W10

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

Whenever I have experienced a crash or something that forces me to CTRL-ALT-DEL or otherwise get to the Task Manager, I have this handy shortcut on the desktop that clears the memory cache before I attempt to load back in without having to reboot. I would type it out here but since it involves using an important executable file to do so, there are some that may think it's something shady. . .but it's not.

The following is a link on how to set it up for Win 7 but you can easily do a search for "clear memory win 7" and find multiple sites with the exact same thing. . .obviously win 8 or win 10 as applicable.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/easily-flush-the-windows-memory-cache/

Members
1,123 posts
7,779 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Virtual desktops were added in windows 10. However either ctl-shift-esc or ctl-alt-del should work unless you whole computer has crashed.

[AFK]
Members
73 posts
4,815 battles
3 hours ago, Rouxi said:

Virtual desktops were added in windows 10. However either ctl-shift-esc or ctl-alt-del should work unless you whole computer has crashed.

will try next time as it is win 10, and i play the game in full screen mode. usually doesn't freeze whole comp but does sometimes

[AFK]
Members
73 posts
4,815 battles

did ctrl alt delete and it opened task master but it said i cant even shut down the game. only option is restart my computer

Sign in to follow this