You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Subs in World of Warships

29 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

I bet you thought it was going to be one of THOSE threads......GOT YA........lol

My question is why has there been such a large outcry for submarines in this game? Is it because of the popularity of submarine simulators on the PC like the silent hunter series and players have been playing sub games since they were kids?

Or does it attract the personality types of people who like to stalk and ambush.....the same people that ALWAYS play snipers in the Battlefield games. 

Is it that here in America the battle of Atlantic is covered a lot in WW2 classes?

What is the obsession and why do so many people seem to want to play them. Do they realize that Subs were a strategic weapon, not a tactical weapon? Subs were not very useful in combating enemy warships. In most cases when a sub actually sank a warship, it was blind luck that the surface warship stumbled upon the submarine. 

In a game of fast maneuver would sub players really be happy with sitting in one place the entire game and hope a ship crosses their path? Subs, why all the obsession.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Why Worry? WG has stated so many times NO SUBS in WG. 

What lurks in minds of players will always baffle.

[MIA-E]
Beta Testers
1,165 posts
10,929 battles
9 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I bet you thought it was going to be one of THOSE threads......GOT YA........lol

My question is why has there been such a large outcry for submarines in this game? Is it because of the popularity of submarine simulators on the PC like the silent hunter series and players have been playing sub games since they were kids?

Or does it attract the personality types of people who like to stalk and ambush.....the same people that ALWAYS play snipers in the Battlefield games. 

Is it that here in America the battle of Atlantic is covered a lot in WW2 classes?

What is the obsession and why do so many people seem to want to play them. Do they realize that Subs were a strategic weapon, not a tactical weapon? Subs were not very useful in combating enemy warships. In most cases when a sub actually sank a warship, it was blind luck that the surface warship stumbled upon the submarine. 

In a game of fast maneuver would sub players really be happy with sitting in one place the entire game and hope a ship crosses their path? Subs, why all the obsession.

Answer = To many movies like "Run Silent Run Deep" and "The Enemy Below" got our juices up.

Members
1,775 posts
11,192 battles
13 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Why? Well, because when I was a kid and I would go to the grocery store there was a sub hunter type of game in the front. It had periscope handles and you would look through the viewfinder and see ships moving across an ocean horizon. I was too young to play it and I can remember not being tall enough so I had to pull my body up to the viewfinder by the periscope handles. I only had the strength to hold me up for a few seconds at a time and I would fantasize launching torps at the ships. It was a mechanical game (before video arcade games) .

searad3.jpg 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

Why? Well, because when I was a kid and I would go to the grocery store there was a sub hunter type of game in the front. It had periscope handles and you would look through the viewfinder and see ships moving across an ocean horizon. I was too young to play it and I can remember not being tall enough so I had to pull my body up to the viewfinder by the periscope handles. I only had the strength to hold me up for a few seconds at a time and I would fantasize launching torps at the ships. It was a mechanical game (before video arcade games) .

searad3.jpg 

I played that game all the time when I was a kid.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
13 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

Answer = To many movies like "Run Silent Run Deep" and "The Enemy Below" got our juices up.

I still remember the quote from the opening of Das Boot...three out of every German submariner's never came home. That alone made me NEVER want to go to war in a submarine.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,656 posts
23,005 battles

Why do you think subs would be submerged the entire time?

They should start out the battle, on the surface like the rest of the ships- albeit it's surface speed is still slower than Wyoming or NY.

Submersion is a consumable meaning once activated you dive, then maneuver- even more slowly than on surface to fire your 4 torpedoes, maybe pop off another round and then surface for cool down.

Remember when you surface for your cool down you better hope you don't surface near a red ship because that 4" gun you have isn't much use.

Subs would suck in this game- stop asking.

Members
1,775 posts
11,192 battles
10 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I still remember the quote from the opening of Das Boot...three out of every German submariner's never came home. That alone made me NEVER want to go to war in a submarine.

Let's not forget

b70-15185.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Let's not forget

b70-15185.jpg

I always liked Operation Petticoat.

• Funny 1

Members
2,933 posts
4,322 battles
43 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Try playing IJN DDs but only using 1/4 steam and no smoke 

• Cool 1

Members
1,775 posts
11,192 battles
1 minute ago, StoneRhino said:

In other words, playing IJN DD in tier 10

[LUCK]
Members
1,656 posts
23,005 battles
4 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

and only 1 rack of torps

Members
2,933 posts
4,322 battles
2 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

In other words, playing IJN DD in tier 10

No because they fee at full speed when you try to run them down 

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,349 battles
37 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

Nothing like the classics, when men were men and women were women and movies were good!

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
25 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I always liked Operation Petticoat.

One of my favorites too.  :cap_like:

Edited by ReddNekk

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
27 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

One of my favorites too.  :cap_like:

She was a menace but her hotness was able to overcome it in the end.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,548 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

I played that game all the time when I was a kid.

Yea I played it constantly at this bar my parents would go to for crawfish boils on Saturdays. Loved that game.

Members
161 posts
1,498 battles

Many people love subs (like me) but maybe haven't thought through them in the WoWS environment. They would realize that subs simply wouldn't work and don't make sense.

Subs are super slow (USN S-class subs could go 14 knots), and were designed mostly as merchant ship / commerce raiders - the whole BB or CV eating a spread of fish just didn't happen much. 

[TBW]
Members
7,445 posts
13,614 battles

When I bought my first Aptiva with a 200 MHZ Pentium it had a sub game that came with it. I forget what it was called though, it would play a scenario (video) and then give you three choices on what to do, and then it would play another video scenario and another three choices and so on.

Members
2,099 posts
5,766 battles
1 hour ago, hofmannsc said:

Why do you think subs would be submerged the entire time?

Well, subs on the surface facing enemy surface warships during daylight hours reduces their life expectancy to almost nothing.  Even a merchant ship with a few old hand me down guns was a credible threat to a surfaced sub.  Hence the only time a sub could reasonably surface would be when there were no enemy vessels around so to be effective in a game like WOWS, subs would have to operate submerged during almost all of the game. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[RNJR]
Members
268 posts
4,609 battles

DESTROYERS do everything and anything a submarine in WOWS could ever hope to accomplish. Even with stealth torping slightly gimped, the cloaking shields of a destroyer can be countered with hydro and radar and at least a DD can Run and dodge. what will a sub do if discovered ...

...DIVE to a depth where no BB can hurt them for 20 minutes... what a useless teammate that would be someone hiding under water not capping not spotting not torping not shooting god that would piss off a lot of folk.  We hate bbs that run to a corner how about a sub that waddles under water at 5knots doing nothing that would be worse than a coward BB at least he draws enemy fire.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
4,505 posts
4,404 battles
1 minute ago, Swift_Scythe said:

DESTROYERS do everything and anything a submarine in WOWS could ever hope to accomplish. Even with stealth torping slightly gimped, the cloaking shields of a destroyer can be countered with hydro and radar and at least a DD can Run and dodge. what will a sub do if discovered ...

...DIVE to a depth where no BB can hurt them for 20 minutes... what a useless teammate that would be someone hiding under water not capping not spotting not torping not shooting god that would piss off a lot of folk.  We hate bbs that run to a corner how about a sub that waddles under water at 5knots doing nothing that would be worse than a coward BB at least he draws enemy fire.

I suppose that is most likely why The Chieftain said in the video "No subs!" :Smile_teethhappy: