Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
renegadestatuz

Dev Blog - New Port Kronshtadt

62 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,088 battles

ST. New port "Kronshtadt".

"Kronshtadt" port is added to the game. The sights are: several historic forts, as well as the city and the Naval cathedral outlines. Port's features will include fireworks and and periodic air squadron flyovers.

8822E2C6-324F-4817-9422-4AE9440B2DCD.jpeg

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,460 posts
3,895 battles

So that's three Russian ports, then. St Petersburg, Black Sea, and Kronshtadt.

Meanwhile England lacks Glasgow or Scapa Flow, the two most famous British ports

America lacks San Diego or Norfolk, the two most famous American naval ports not already in game (though "Hawaii" is debatable and certainly isn't Pearl)

Japan lacks Kure and Sasebo, one being the birthplace of the Yamato and the other being the birthplace of Yukikaze, Shigure, and other famous destroyers and cruisers

They just added Marseilles and France already had Dunkirk which is pretty cool so that's okay I guess.

No Italian ports at all

No Chinese or Korean Pan-Asian ports unless you count the one with the completely historical giant dragon

And a few general purpose ports like Philippines, Ocean, the anime port, and the unlabeled drydock shipyard.

But no, we need another port to commemorate the navy that did the least in the time period covered by the game.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,088 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

So that's two Russian ports, now. Or was it 3? I forget if they shoehorned Murmansk in yet or if it's just St Petersburg so far.

Meanwhile England lacks Glasgow or Scapa Flow, the two most famous British ports

America lacks San Diego or Norfolk, the two most famous American naval ports not already in game (though "Hawaii" is debatable and certainly isn't Pearl)

Japan lacks Kure and Sasebo, one being the birthplace of the Yamato and the other being the birthplace of Yukikaze, Shigure, and other famous destroyers and cruisers

They just added Marseilles and France already had Dunkirk which is pretty cool so that's okay I guess.

No Italian ports at all

No Chinese or Korean Pan-Asian ports unless you count the one with the completely historical giant dragon

And a few general purpose ports like Philippines, Ocean, the anime port, and the unlabeled drydock shipyard.

But no, we need another port to commemorate the navy that did the least in the time period covered by the game.

This will make 3 for Russia. They also have the Black Sea port.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,460 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, renegadestatuz said:

This will make 3 for Russia. They also have the Black Sea port.

I knew I was forgetting one but thought it was Murmansk. So it's Black Sea, then. I'll edit accordingly.

Beta Testers
1,693 posts
3,820 battles

Was hoping Kure would be the next port not a hype port for a tier 9 cruiser. I wonder what the occasion is for this port some kind of battle fought here or was it a major shipyard idk?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,460 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, landedkiller said:

Was hoping Kure would be the next port not a hype port for a tier 9 cruiser. I wonder what the occasion is for this port some kind of battle fought here or was it a major shipyard idk?

"It's Russian" appears to be the only reason.

It's not even Vladivostok, which is a historically significant port with a naval fortress complex that WG even made a video about.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,693 posts
3,820 battles

Vladivostok sounds a lot more interesting and has a history. That port l would like to see in the game, not this port lol.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Russian Game... Makes Perfect Sense to have Russian Ports. Be Happy We have Choices. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,460 posts
3,895 battles
6 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Russian Game... Makes Perfect Sense to have Russian Ports. Be Happy We have Choices. 

Nobody should ever be expected to settle for disappointment.

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Nobody should ever be expected to settle for disappointment.

That is why Choices are made....

Modder
1,181 posts
31 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Glasgow? Faslane is nearby but it's relatively recent. Devonport and Portsmouth are much more well known naval bases.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,460 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, zFireWyvern said:

Glasgow? Faslane is nearby but it's relatively recent. Devonport and Portsmouth are much more well known naval bases.

I may be confusing Glasgow's shipyards with something else. Thank you for the update.

Modder
1,181 posts
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I may be confusing Glasgow's shipyards with something else. Thank you for the update.

Clydebank was where a huge amount of shipbuilding used to take place for the Navy which is downriver from Glasgow. Aside from Scapa Flow the only other port that would be really suitable for WoWS in Scotland would be the Firth of Forth/Rosyth which could be nice. 

[KNMSU]
Members
5,331 posts
5,553 battles
58 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Totally agree with this. I am so ready for someone to offer me a competing product to this one, preferably lacking the ultra-nationalist development spin. 

And Glasgow was where a lot of the British battleships were built, not home-ported. You're thinking of the Firth as a Scottish base, although I would prefer a fictional Fort William, simply for the super-Scottish scenery.

fort-william?size=md

Edited by AviationBattleship_Hyuga

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles

Where is Kronshtadt and does anyone know the etymological origin of the word. It is a Russian port but it sounds German.

[O7]
Members
595 posts
8,688 battles
3 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Where is Kronshtadt and does anyone know the etymological origin of the word. It is a Russian port but it sounds German.

It's literally in the first sentence in the wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronstadt

Kronstadt (Russian: Кроншта́дт), also spelled Kronshtadt, Cronstadt or Kronštádt (German: Krone for "crown" and Stadt for "city"; Estonian: Kroonlinn), is a municipal town in Kronshtadtsky District of the federal city of Saint Petersburg, Russia, located on Kotlin Island, 30 kilometers (19 mi) west of Saint Petersburg proper near the head of the Gulf of Finland. Population: 43,005 (2010 Census);[1] 43,385 (2002 Census).[3]

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,944 posts
8,385 battles

If you want to get technical (and it's the internet, so who doesn't?)

• Philippines:  American port.  Philippines was an American colony until 1946.
  • Hawaii:  American port.
  • Drydock:  Sleuthing shows this to be in Hawaii or the Philippines (again).  This is another American port.
  • New York:  Also 'Murica.

So there are FOUR (count 'em) American ports in game.  This is pretty impressive given that Wargaming looks for scenic ports, not just famous ones.  That's why we got Marseille and not a port like Bordeaux.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 5

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

If you want to get technical (and it's the internet, so who doesn't?)

• Philippines:  American port.  Philippines was an American colony until 1946.
  • Hawaii:  American port.
  • Drydock:  Sleuthing shows this to be in Hawaii or the Philippines (again).  This is another American port.
  • New York:  Also 'Murica.

So there are FOUR (count 'em) American ports in game.  This is pretty impressive given that Wargaming looks for scenic ports, not just famous ones.  That's why we got Marseille and not a port like Bordeaux.

Maybe we can get those supposed secret antarctic bases conspiracy theorists are always saying the Germans had lol.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,770 posts
3,937 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

I wonder what the occasion is for this port some kind of battle fought here or was it a major shipyard idk?

Considering that this year is WG's 20th anniversary and the fireworks display, I'd like assume this would be part of it, but it's too early, and they usually use the St. Petersburg port for the Anniversary.

I guess you get the port if you also get Kronshtadt? The fireworks celebrating what a wonderful investor you are into Russian ships?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,944 posts
8,385 battles

There's room for a lot more ports to be added to the game, even before doubling up on existing nations.

• Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Alexandria, Egypt
  • Halifax, Canada
  • St.John's, Newfoundland (still separate and deservedly proud colony at the time)
  • Taranto, Italy
  • Danzig, Free City (now Polish city of Gdansk).
  • Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
5,331 posts
5,553 battles

I didn't realize how close Kronshtadt was to St. Petersburg. This is the equivalent of adding a Staten Island port while having Manhattan in the game. Utter silliness.

Sign in to follow this