You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OldSteel_Potato

Learning "Clan Battle" Tactics

12 comments in this topic

[WSU]
Members
17 posts
19,914 battles

So I had thought about writing about tactics in Clan Battles for sometime, but needed to improve my own play to verify my ideas.

1) Basics..

A- The recent "Play like a Pro" was full of basic info that has improved our clan from Gale league to tier 1 Storm. The make up of your fleet is important and don't dismiss it easily. * I highly recommend if you choose to use 1 DD -use a Zao as your "second dd". We find our best fleet has 2 DD's. The importance of fleet composition cannot be understated. While it is fun to play clique ships like the Minotaur, the clans who play 3 of them in Clan Battles tend to have a lower ceiling of success. The info is already out there about this so I will move on...

B- Rotation of players is a major factor in success for clans that have high member counts and encourage involvement in clan battles. For example our 37 member clan has had 22 members play in clan battles. I think this is a good participation rate. We have about 9-10 who use rental ships because they don't have any tier 10 ships.  Our team leadership is committed to allowing as many as possible play. This does present problems for tactics and fleet composition. From my experience I highly recommend limiting to 2 rental ships per battle! We have players in rentals who have less total battle experience than some others at tier 10 alone. So the experience and tactics have to be considered.

C- Set up your modules and Captain skills for Clan battles!!!! Many players have come to me asking why they are not doing as well as others in Clan Battles... First thing I ask is how do they have their boats and captains set up. No need for AA!! some times reload is better on certain ships than range due to the smaller maps in Clan Battles. Radar and Sonar maxed out! and some DD's can live longer if they use the survivability expert skill on their captain. Read the forums... watch the videos. This is not Random battle play.. set your captains and boats accordingly. 

2) Basic Tactics...

A- Patience.   The yolo rush will hurt your team if not coordinated with others. In General take more time and put yourself and your team in a position to win. Taking a little time will reap rewards. My greatest example is Mountain Range map. We played many games trying to cap and defend C cap as quickly as possible for the points advantage. But this was at best a 50/50 success. That 50/50 is not good enough. We watched other clans just wait. Wait then after they killed a ship or two.. advance and Cap C. This tactic often turned the tide of the battle and led to sweeping victories. Be patient in battle.. you will see better outcomes.

B- Focus fires.  I know, so simple. But few actually do it! The best thing you can do to lead to victory is put yourself and your teammates in positions to maximize fire. When 4 ships can fire on one... that turns the close battle into a blow out. 2 things: First, don't bunch up when possible. When all ships are in the same grid box.. you all have the same angle. If you are spread out over several grids squares.. many more angles. Moskva's hate getting shot from a bunch of angles :) Secondly... just the simple effort of identifying a priority target for your teammates to shoot, will improve you kill rate and lead to more victories.

3) Tactics that may require some practice...

A- the trap.. or that is what I call it. By now there are few "new" map tactics. You have seen the left-center-right sweeps. Certain maps are excellent for setting traps. What I am talking about is running away to lure enemy ships into crossfires. We fell for this many times until we sat down and talked about what happened. When you find that an enemy typically pushes a section of the map... start the game by leaving some players back a bit. spread-out and/or in concealment. Then when the enemy comes, run away! and a few will chase you. Then spring the trap and smoke them. You may lose a ship.. but they usually lose two or three. Watch the typhoon league clans play on Hotspot... they love to trap the enemy pushing to A or B caps from the back islands. This requires the afore mentioned patience too.

B- Decoy. This tactic is seen when the enemy uses the battleship (or a couple cruisers) to show a false move. It may appear that they are going to push left, but due to the BB's range, he really is just getting In position to put broadside shots across to the other side of the map. The point is that the BB is not the main push of the team. When we started clan battles this was something we did not pick up on. We were very direct.. the BB goes to support the main force. But this was our mistake. Watching better teams beat us over and over we noticed the BB was often a decoy or just in a better position than what we thought of for ourselves. Think about your BB positioning! It can change your results.

There are many other tactics you can pick up on. My encouragement to you is OBSERVE what better teams are doing. This can help your team advance.  I hope our clan will be able to keep advancing this season and join the ranks of the elite pro clans.  Good luck all!

WSU= Warships United

Oldsteel1

Edited by OldSteel1
  • Cool 8

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,215 posts
14,118 battles

Thank you for a very informatable post. I'l pass it on to my clan.

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
384 posts
8,059 battles
33 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Agree with this sentiment.  Very open, candid observation of what you learned from your learning curve and honest sharing of lessons learned.  I'll be looking to see what we can do with them as well. 

• Cool 1

[WSU]
Members
17 posts
19,914 battles

I forgot one more thing.... MINIMAP.  It is full of useful info to help stay alive and kill. Situational awareness is not just for Clan leaders.. it is for Everyone. Try a night of making the MiniMap one size larger. Don't forget to enable last known locations and names. It Will Pay Off!

Edited by OldSteel1
  • Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,437 posts
11,266 battles

Just to remind people that article was based off season 1's meta.  This meta has changed over the season, particularly when it comes to vision control. 

Most of the top Hurricane teams are either running or dabbling with double DD comps.  Most of the fight is over who controls the vision.  He who can see, while the enemy remain blind wins.  I have enabled my team to slaughter a lot of really good teams that thought a Zao scouting a flank was sufficient.  The only viable 1 DD comp IMO is with a radar Yue Yang, but we have a few different ways to deal with it.

My suggestion is to watch anyone of the streams from the top clans to see what they are doing.  Once CB winds down, competitive clans will be spinning up for this coming King of the Sea.  Having an ambassador from your clan visit one of these clans Discords to try to schedule a scrim on an off night might help you guys out in the long run. 

• Cool 3

[WSU]
Members
17 posts
19,914 battles
22 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

My suggestion is to watch anyone of the streams from the top clans to see what they are doing.  Once CB winds down, competitive clans will be spinning up for this coming King of the Sea.  Having an ambassador from your clan visit one of these clans Discords to try to schedule a scrim on an off night might help you guys out in the long run. 

Agreed!

[CAFE]
Members
1,683 posts
12,201 battles
On 3/26/2018 at 1:16 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

I agree, I will pass it onto my clan as well 

• Cool 1

[WSU]
Beta Testers
22 posts
15,161 battles

I will pass it on to my clan as well........ oh wait :P

• Cool 1

[YETI]
Members
25 posts
13,051 battles

Where can I get a look at the "Play like a Pro", that you mentioned earlier. This is probably the best, most concise outline of CB tactics I've seen on this forum. If anyone else can give me some referrals to other posts or links, I would greatly appreciate it...

Gone_Nuty

[PQUOD]
Members
1,695 posts
8,874 battles
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Gone_Nutty said:

Where can I get a look at the "Play like a Pro", that you mentioned earlier. This is probably the best, most concise outline of CB tactics I've seen on this forum. If anyone else can give me some referrals to other posts or links, I would greatly appreciate it...

Gone_Nuty

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/game-guides/how-to-clans-1/

[Y0L0]
Members
179 posts
7,832 battles
On 3/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, OldSteel_Potato said:

The yolo rush will hurt your team

I take offense at this 

[UR]
Members
29 posts
2,365 battles

Another effective tactics: copying.....

At the very beginning, there was only one clan, [BASED], ran 3 x dm. Now I have seen too many clans run 3 x dm. (ofc not as good as [BASED], or [VOR], whatever

Well, I learn tactics from battles as well.