You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Looking for a laptop to play Warships on the road

29 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,169 posts
1,103 battles

Well, I'll probably do a little work on it, too, but that's not what's important. Budget is about $1200. I have no idea which brands are considered reliable. Asus, Acer, MSI and Dell all seem to have a GTX 1060/i7/8GB setup for around that money. What do you folks in-the-know recommend?

[BUNNY]
Members
238 posts
8,794 battles

Just picked up a Lenovo Y720 for 1299. Excellent so far. They do have cheaper builds. 

Edited by Roadster311
  • Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
975 posts
7,543 battles

Try Gigabyte's. I use a gigabyte phantasus p 34k v7 with a intel 7gen i7 and a gtx 1050ti.

• Cool 1

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles

I use an MSI machine and have been very happy. Ghost series. No issues at all.

[O_O]
Members
5,001 posts
11,217 battles

Here's a thread I had on the topic not too long ago:

[WOLF9]
Members
1,068 posts
4,708 battles

For $1,200, you should be able to get a good laptop that will run WoWs.

I would definitely get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. I had an Asus I used for a few years and was very pleased with it when playing WoT and WoWs.

You can get the ASUS FX503VM for right at 1,150 at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234831

And ASUS FX503VM is cheaper at Amazon, $1,071.93, but you make want to check to see want the difference in shipping costs are: https://www.amazon.com/FX502VM-AS73-15-6-inch-Gaming-7th-Gen-Windows/dp/B01N9QKYZ9/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=laptopunderbudget-20&linkId=48bd0b29076b6680b2cd4d4eb650b997

The suggestions by @Roadster311 and @KAGA_kaini are also good options.

[WORX]
Members
3,249 posts
14,685 battles
33 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

would definitely get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

I disagree, WOWS, WOT, WOWP, are not Graphic card heavy. That means that his CPU Processor is taking the majority of the load. HOWEVER, if he plans to play a different game that require a graphic intense card then yes. I do recommend a high end graphics card. The following set up will get you in the HIGH or ULTRA graphics with 60 FPS in WOWS.

• CPU processor I7 Generation or higher (8th generation is the newest) but if your in a budget I7  7th generation the highest one .THIS is very important for a WOWS dedicated gaming laptop.
  • 16 GIGs  RAM is cool
  • Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 is the minimum,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 is cool for WOWS,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and above is for games other the WOWS that are Graphics card dependent
  • Size monitor that is up to you.
    1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I have no idea which brands are considered reliable. Asus, Acer, MSI and Dell all seem to have a GTX 1060/i7/8GB setup for around that money.

If your buy the Laptop for the brand then IMO the internal components are the same, now your going for the look. As long as its in your budget then I wish you like... Cheers!

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,260 posts
5,407 battles

I have an Asus 2in1 I got to replace my tablet. It's got a GeForce  card in it and it runs WOWs as well or better than my laptop...On the road or I'd give you specifics paid $1100 for it at BB...

[WOLF9]
Members
1,068 posts
4,708 battles
16 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I disagree, WOWS, WOT, WOWP, are not Graphic card heavy. That means that his CPU Processor is taking the majority of the load. HOWEVER, if he plans to play a different game that require a graphic intense card then yes. I do recommend a high end graphics card. The following set up will get you in the HIGH or ULTRA graphics with 60 FPS in WOWS.

• CPU processor I7 Generation or higher (8th generation is the newest) but if your in a budget I7  7th generation the highest one .THIS is very important for a WOWS dedicated gaming laptop.
  • 16 GIGs  RAM is cool
  • Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 is the minimum,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 is cool for WOWS,  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and above is for games other the WOWS that are Graphics card dependent
  • Size monitor that is up to you.

If your buy the Laptop for the brand then IMO the internal components are the same, now your going for the look. As long as its in your budget then I wish you like... Cheers!

Your suggestion that he might play other games that may be more gpu intensive is exactly why I recommended a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, not to mention if WG ever upgrades the graphics on WoWs in the future like they have done in WoT it might require a more intensive gpu. Given the fact that he has $1,200, it just makes sense to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. If all he wants to do is play WoWs, he can probably get a lappy for less than $800 to do so.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,847 posts
4,145 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Well, I'll probably do a little work on it, too, but that's not what's important. Budget is about $1200. I have no idea which brands are considered reliable. Asus, Acer, MSI and Dell all seem to have a GTX 1060/i7/8GB setup for around that money. What do you folks in-the-know recommend?

Any of those should work well. 

I run a Sager with an I7 / 970m, does the trick all maxed out settings. 

Try to get an SSD if you can. Anything 1060+ would be fine . 

Members
850 posts

Do not get an Alienware 13. I have had mine for three months and am very unhappy. Screen is too small for WOWs. Battery sucks. The 1060 graphics is wild overkill. For WOWs 15 inch screen is minimum. 

Aliemware 13 R4 I7 256ssd 1060  8GB Ram

Also those of you who are making these recommendations do you own that model? I7 gamer laptops of this last generation have had heat issues. Then lousy customer service. Topped off with crappy keyboards. 

Do some serious looking before u buy. 

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,543 battles
15 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Do not get an Alienware 13. I have had mine for three months and am very unhappy. Screen is too small for WOWs. Battery sucks. The 1060 graphics is wild overkill. For WOWs 15 inch screen is minimum. 

You do use a Monitor or tv with it? Also cordless keyboard and mouse.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,847 posts
4,145 battles
48 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Aliemware 13 R4 I7 256ssd 1060  8GB Ram

Also those of you who are making these recommendations do you own that model? I7 gamer laptops of this last generation have had heat issues. Then lousy customer service. Topped off with crappy keyboards. 

Do some serious looking before u buy. 

My sager has been pretty solid. 

Sager np8268-S  15 inch full hd LED.  ( i also run it off an external display 27inch BenQ while at home. )

I7-4710 

970m 6GB DDR5

32gb DDR3

500gb ssd
1TB HDD for backup 

Nothing is soldered to the motherboard , everything is user replaceable. Bottom panel comes off with 4 phillips heads.  I change the GPU and CPU paste constantly its very user friendly. 

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,865 battles

To give you an idea how little resource intensive this game is, I play wows when I’m on the road with an 11 inch 2013 MacBook Air i5 model 1.2GHz with 8 GB ram and a 256 SSD running Windows 10 natively instead of through emulation.

it is Intel integrated graphics, and I do okay. Frame rates are around 35-40 FPS.

the only concern I have is that when the game is running the aluminum case gets hot in a hurry.

but I have been running tanks and warships this way for 3 years now and although I worried about trashing the MacBook due to lack of thermal cooling. Its held up solid so far.

i can still even run the new wot 1.0 at minimum settings.

I did try plugging an external tv to play on the hotel TVs, but I’ve discovered that the crappy hotel TVs can’t keep up with the MacBook video display output and all you get is playing warships using stop motion video.   So I just play using the 11 inch MacBook display.

Edited by wtfovr

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
4 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Don't forget to pick up a decent network cable. WIFI in hotels can be really spotty, in a lot of cases they will have a CAT5 jack so you can hard connect.

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
35 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Follow up question: anyone running a 15.6" display or smaller, would you rather have a 17", or do you feel they're too bulky?

Also, a decent mouse and something like a Razor Orbweaver can make your laptop gameplay experience much more enjoyable vs trying to hit keys on a cramped laptop keyboard and touchpad.

• Cool 1

Members
850 posts
3 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You do use a Monitor or tv with it? Also cordless keyboard and mouse.

On the road out of home and office - no monitor, Keyboard on the Alienware is great but others not so great to awful. I have a nice corded game mouse. 

2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Follow up question: anyone running a 15.6" display or smaller, would you rather have a 17", or do you feel they're too bulky?

15 inch is what I should have bought. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,068 posts
4,708 battles
3 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I prefer the 17" display to the 15.6", but this is a personal preference. I didn't find it too bulky traveling, and I was attending college at the time and traveling all over the U.S. to different internships.

3 hours ago, Belthorian said:

Also, a decent mouse and something like a Razor Orbweaver can make your laptop gameplay experience much more enjoyable vs trying to hit keys on a cramped laptop keyboard and touchpad.

This. +1. Trying to play WoT or WoWs with the touchpad on a lappy is no fun at all IMO although, I know there are people who do so with great success. I just never was good at it. 

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
4 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Also, most decent laptops have an HDMI port on them so get an HDMI cable so you can plug into the TV in your hotel room. You can bypass the limitations of a small screen.