You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
iPoutine

Fighting Saipan w/ Ranger

4 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
103 battles

While I don't get completely clubbed in my Ranger when I play against Saipans I do perform significantly worse than I normally do on average. I try to do what most people would recommend in these situations, (take advantage of AA, look for strafing opportunities, spread the planes out, etc.) but I still get mediocre results. Sniping rarely ends successfully as well so I'm kinda stuck on effective ways of counter play.

Anyone have any extra tips or words of wisdom I could use?

EDIT: posted on an alt whoops 

Edited by iPoutine

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,006 posts

In the old days, I'd always have to take a fighter load-out in the Ranger in Random...  but times have changed.

Facing Saipan, Kaga, or Hiryu...  you are facing pain.  You only have a strike load, so act accordingly.

Use hit/run tactics.  There is limited opportunity to defend your team, so choose fighter targets carefully - and strategically.

I found I sometimes had to let the YOLO fools on my team just die.  If they can't see they are facing a Kaga, with a zillion torpedoes in a strange pattern...   let them learn the hard way. 

Fact is that CV battles are not the same as non-CV battles, and your team should hold back for you to scout out where the enemy team is forming up.  And scouting is what you should be doing.

I can always tell a bad CV mission when my CV has the planes circling around his ship in the beginning - instead of fanning out.  If the other CV op has half a brain, then we lost the battle right there.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,997 posts
9,304 battles

If you don't have DFE (DogFighting Expert) - especially after WG foolishly lowered the tier of the top 2 US CV's fighters to try and balance their fighters (DFE skill practically negates the changes) -get it. More ammo to try and burn through them and if your stuck in a click battle, more of an edge. Unfortunately, that still at tier and new tactics that put Ranger and Lex in a tight spot because of having only 1 fighter group, you may have to play a little more defensive. Never bother with CV sniping. It may still be more effective at tier 7 where DF AA hasn't been added to CV's yet, but usually, it's a waste of time unless red CV has no brain. As AVR says - you have 1 fighter group, just gonna have to let some people die they run off on their own in a CV match. 30% of "CV OP" is in reality people that don't adjust to the fact a CV is in game and want to run off lone wolf in a ship that doesn't have AA for it. Beyond that, just have to keep doing what your doing, learn how best to draw a fighter group or two away with DB's since you have some reserves so you can hit with the TB's and if you held it separate the other DB group.

And hope beyond hope Wargaming fixes the balance with the rework. If we ever actually get it.

[BANT]
Beta Testers
123 posts
5,159 battles

The only answer is to not play your Ranger, and keep leaving feedback with WG until they hire someone who knows what they're doing to unfuck CVs, especially tier 7