You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Pink Players and Poor teams

55 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

Everyone turns pink occasionally. I have myself. However, when I do I play Coops until I turn green again. Many players don't seem to worry much about "removing the stain." However, I've noticed that a large number of pink players usually correlates with a bad team. Though some pink players are actual teamkillers most aren't. However, I've seen the following happen that contributes to overall poor teamplay.

• Allies are always watching for the pink ship so as not to bump it.
  • Pink ships are concerned about being bumped so stay well away from the rest.
  • Pink ships just yolo off by themselves.
  • Pink players are oftentimes careless of where they torp and fire.

I've been seeing three pink players on teams routinely recently. This may be the cap for them. Some of these will cause slight damage in every game I see them and must have weeks, if not months, of games needed to remove the stain. Do pink players ever get banned? It doesn't do much good if they don't care whether they are pink or not just to give them more time being pink.

I think I have a solution -- reduce the credits and XP earned by pink players by 25% while pink. This would, even more so than the "stain," prompt many to mend their ways. 

• Boring 2

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts

You can turn pink in game too. Here is a player that did it by killing me just now. It wasn't intentional, I was just really close to an enemy ship and the dispersion of the allied BB's salvo got me.

shot-18.03.26_01.56.34-0960.jpg

[MMC]
Members
135 posts
396 battles

Not everyone who turns pink deserves to be punished and as you said, everyone turns pink occasionally. I have not experienced the sort of pink play you describe, but a more reasonable response by WG might be to place a limit on the pink penalty games and beyond that are bans and eventual account removal. Alternatively, limit pink player participation to co-op, which is where it seems most people pay their debt to society in any event. Doubtless some other solutions are available, but I’m unsure of how necessary any of this might truly be.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,182 posts
20,016 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Everyone turns pink occasionally. I have myself. However, when I do I play Coops until I turn green again. Many players don't seem to worry much about "removing the stain." However, I've noticed that a large number of pink players usually correlates with a bad team. Though some pink players are actual teamkillers most aren't. However, I've seen the following happen that contributes to overall poor teamplay.

I've been seeing three pink players on teams routinely recently. This may be the cap for them. Some of these will cause slight damage in every game I see them and must have weeks, if not months, of games needed to remove the stain. Do pink players ever get banned? It doesn't do much good if they don't care whether they are pink or not just to give them more time being pink.

I think I have a solution -- reduce the credits and XP earned by pink players by 25% while pink. This would, even more so than the "stain," prompt many to mend their ways. 

I disagree, Snarg.  I get pinked occasionally.  And it's NOT because I'm intentionally shooting at team mates.  When it does happen, it's because I'm an aggressive DD player when it comes to torps and I just see occasionally hitting a team mate as the cost of doing business.

As for the bullet points.

1. I can't say that I've ever seen allied ships avoiding running into pinks.  Heck, some people go out of their way to bump into pinks just to grief them a little bit.

2. I agree with this 100%.

Side note:  The solution to points #1 and #2 is to simply eliminate friendly ramming damage being considered as team damage, in the same way that secondary gun hits on friendlies are no longer considered as team damage.  End of problem.

3. This is largely related to point 3.  The pink that goes off to the side may be just going all in on avoiding accidental rams.  IMO, the problem is that if you're going to work as a team (sorta-kinda) in an area of the map, things get congested and accidental friendly ramming is just going to happen.  People can do their best to avoid them, but they will still occur.  They just will.  So is it any wonder that some pink players prefer to avoid these little traffic jams and head off to find some nice open water?  Seems logical to me.  And again, if the above side note were implemented, I think that this issue would become moot.

4.  Sometimes, it's carelessness.  Sometimes, it's aggressive play.  Sometimes, it really is a stupid team mate.

I don't think that all pink players should be banned.  I do think that if it can be proved that you have a player who is truly intentionally going out of his way to TK, like the guy who proclaims that he hates CVs, then turns around in his DD and proceeds to dump is entirely load of torps into the friendly carrier, such a person maybe should get a ban.  To me, there's a vast difference between the intentional TKer and the accidental one.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,182 posts
20,016 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You can turn pink in game too. Here is a player that did it by killing me just now. It wasn't intentional, I was just really close to an enemy ship and the dispersion of the allied BB's salvo got me.

I actually hit a friendly BB by accident tonight.  He was closing on an enemy BB and he was closer than I'd realized.  I was trying to support him by weakening of not outright killing the enemy BB before the 2 got close enough that one might ram the other.  Now, on  second thought, I think that the reason my shots hit him was that I was firing from a rather considerable range, and perhaps because of the flight time, I misjudged how far the friendly was going to move while my shells were in the air.  

The good news was that I only hit him with a single HE shell, did less than 1k damage, and didn't set him on fire.  So, the friendly damage was rather minimal.

[SALVO]
Members
20,182 posts
20,016 battles
15 minutes ago, kagero__ said:

Not everyone who turns pink deserves to be punished and as you said, everyone turns pink occasionally. I have not experienced the sort of pink play you describe, but a more reasonable response by WG might be to place a limit on the pink penalty games and beyond that are bans and eventual account removal. Alternatively, limit pink player participation to co-op, which is where it seems most people pay their debt to society in any event. Doubtless some other solutions are available, but I’m unsure of how necessary any of this might truly be.

Sorry but I don't agree with any action that includes banning unless it can be proven that the damage and kill was truly intentional and malicious, like my example above where a player says he hates CVs, then proceeds to dump his DDs entire load of torps into the friendly CV right at the start of the game.  That kind of player is begging for a ban.

[MMC]
Members
135 posts
396 battles

No need to apologize, @CrucisI’m not advocating anything, just pointing out that there are other options for the sort of extremely pink behavior described in the original post than one that penalizes everyone. Personally, over the course of very many dozens and dozens of games, I haven’t noticed a big pink problem. But I haven’t really been looking either and I don’t think I’ll start today,

Edited by kagero__
Grammar

[XXX]
Members
855 posts
2,968 battles
51 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

However, I've noticed that a large number of pink players usually correlates with a bad team.

How can you come up with that when we cannot see any pink players on the other team?

[SALVO]
Members
20,182 posts
20,016 battles
8 minutes ago, kagero__ said:

No need to apologize, @CrucisI’m not advocating anything, just pointing out that there are other options for the sort of extremely pink behavior described in the original post than one that penalizes everyone. Personally, over the course of very many thousands and thousands of games, I haven’t noticed a big pink problem. But I haven’t really been looking either and I don’t think I’ll start today,

No prob, Kag.  Ya know, I haven't seen all that many truly intentional TK-ers myself.

I admit that I'm pretty aggressive in my use of torpedoes and will, once in a while, hit a friendly by mistake.

BTW, one of the worst things a team mate can do is follow a torp using DD on his aft port or aft starboard flank, whichever is the side facing the enemy, because (A) the following player is quite likely so close that their symbols may merge on the minimap, (B) is so close but just far enough behind that he may be just off the edge of the leading player's screen (sort of like being in a driver's blindspot in a car), and (C) if the leading player launches torps, the trailing player is bound to sail straight into them with no warning or chance to avoid them.  And the leading player has no time to warning him, even if he did suddenly realize the friendly was there.  If I'm playing a torp using DD, i check to see if someone is in that position when I'm moving somewhere and I'll take evasive action vs him.  I don't like friendlies following me in that position for any reason whatsoever.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

Non-pink players are just as terrible, so I don't care.

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I rarely bump into another player, but at that point it really doesn't matter what colour he has. Not my pink...

1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Everyone turns pink occasionally.

No... lol

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,350 battles

Have to agree with Crusis about seeing others purposely bumping into Pink players just to cause them more grief, it tends to happen more than one might suspect and those players that do that are the ones that really need to be punished, not the already Pink player that is just trying to get rid of the color.

Same as there are those that will purposely get in the path of someone's torps, yes, it does happen, some players will go out of their way to cause grief for others.

Members
932 posts
18,237 battles

When I'm pink, it's because I've done WG's job for them. Latest time was on the EU server just a few days ago:

Members
567 posts
80 battles

I'm pink all the time, had gotten so deep pink I think my highest was 58 games to remove it. If you're obsessing over a color that has no punishing effect on you... that's just... wow. To make you feel you need to play co-op to unpink yourself... wow. 

Sometimes I like to toss a volley at AFK players, 70 year olds with computers as old as they are who take five min to load into the match, or 39% win rate players with less than 10k avg dmg at high tiers, or DD's that sit in their own smoke with 800 enemy torps incoming to their broadside after I warned the failtard Shima that he is not a cap contesting DD who should be charging the cap in the first min of the game. 

You know, the lowest common denominator people in this game deserve a lil tough love from the community since WG isn't disciplining them hard enough. 

But the best part of being pink is carrying the team with a kraken and first place on the scoreboard just to stick it to prejudiced people who make comments at the start of the battle that I'm pink and will cause them the loss. 

• Boring 1

[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,304 posts
7,920 battles

pink + red is a better indicator of a problem, but then again, so is pink + purple...

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
394 posts
2,788 battles

They should make it so that once a player turns Pink they are restricted to Co-Op till they work it off.

[INTEL]
Members
7,070 posts
28,937 battles

Don't agree that they should be restricted to coop, although personally I have never played PvP while pink. Always wash it out in coop, generally at lower tier where games end faster (no, I do not quit games, ever).

I do agree that ramming friendlies damage should be disabled while pink. I have been rammed on purpose while pink. Why? spite from idjits I guess.

Members
400 posts
6,737 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Every time I have turned pink, it was because of co-op and me killing a bot.. Most of the time when I get killed by friendly fire, it is a bot. Can't tell a bot, I am launching torps at the Montana coming though the gap. 

[2347]
Members
299 posts
6,505 battles
3 hours ago, kagero__ said:

Looks like WG took your suggestion:

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
2,903 posts
21,541 battles

Instead of the automated system they should review TK reports & punish all intentional TKs...period...& make the punishment double for any false reports so they can actually not have the queues filled w/trolls false reporting.

& 100000000% agree w/removing friendly rams from keeping people pink longer...in fact remove damage from friendly rams altogether so a DD can smoke for his teammates w/out having to worry about getting/causing pink from 1 or other being microscopically low on life. Sometimes you need to ram into a ship you are smoking for to help slow them down so they don't just run through the smoke...be nice if you could use this strategy w/out DD becoming pink because the person that could really need a quick disappearing can't be rammed into w/out killing them.

I agree w/regular team damage as it keeps the game more interesting having to keep aware of where your teammates are as opposed to just spamming shots everywhere & sometimes you can use it to break locks when you move in close to some1 you are knife fighting to stop some of his support from firing/torping at you in fear of them becoming pink...& of course when you cause the reds to torp each other out it's just plain lols.

Members
319 posts
5,573 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This happened to me yesterday, in the PVE match that  gave me my first 19 point captain.   Shooting a Des Moines, who was close range engaged with a friendly Zao near death.   One round landed short, hit the Zao, and sank it.   Insta pink, for 7 games.   

Live and learn, I guess.   Worked off my pinkness and built up some elite xp.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,543 posts
14,692 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Wait...I thought we were supposed to bump pink allied ships.  I've been playing wrong all this time.

In a more serious vein, I haven't noticed any difference in capability between pink or green ships.  And I seldom clean up in Co-op when I"m pink.  I just keep playing the game like before...with a lesson learned (from becoming pink) if introspection identifies such.

[U-P]
Members
38 posts
3,715 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

No.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[U-P]
Members
38 posts
3,715 battles

Why do people have their panties in a twist about nothing? Honestly what does it take away from your play?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[VW]
Members
2,446 posts
14,319 battles

i think the latest change to pinkness was excessive, i mean turning auto pink for accidentally knocking the last 1000hp off a friendly seems to increase the frequency with which people turn pink. when you take the long range of higher tier torps a spread fired in complete absence of teammates in the viscinity can end up with a tk. and nevermind that a cv who kills himself doesnt automatically turn pink... i guess i dont see the point in assessing friendly damage. it's not there in scenarios and people behave civilly there. those who seem to get a kick out of teamkilling would have thier fix disappear if team damage was no longer assessed. and if not, i say make "bumping" have the same mechanics as when one "bumps" an enemy ship, i see no logic for allowing shells/torps to do the same damage to teammates as enemies but not collisions. perhaps they could even implement flooding damage for land collisions if there is some sort of attempt to mirror reality.