You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

My Tier 8 ships and How Match Maker Matches Me UP

44 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
683 posts
10,246 battles

I am not going to bash match maker in my usual way.  I am just going to show my T8 games and how match maker treats me.   I will provide the unbiased data, and you be the judge.

shot-18.03.25_17.46.19-0161.jpg

Edit:  Keep in mind all these were sequential using either my T8 Z-23 or Edinburgh.  All of these games were with over 15,000 players, and not once was I in the match maker que for more than 5-10 seconds.  [edited] the short wait times and take the time to make proper teams.  I think WG knows that there is a problem at T8, and that nobody wants to play at that tier unless (like me) are just grinding to T9 so that the uptiering won't be as bad.  Once I get to T9 I WON'T be going back to play those painfully uptiered T8s.  Why else would WG give out special camo for only the tier 8 ships?  Yes, to try and attract more players to play T8s.....FAILED.  How about stop the uptiering???  Is anyone at WG [edited]listening???  There should be no reason for a +2/-2 match making with over 15,000 players.....NONE.  I am losing faith in WG and their stupid match maker.  It sure does make playing CO-OP at tier 8 more enticing than getting mercilessly stomped by tier 10s.

Edited by db4100
additional comments
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,367 posts
3 minutes ago, db4100 said:

I am not going to bash match maker in my usual way.  I am just going to show my T8 games and how match maker treats me.   I will provide the unbiased data, and you be the judge.

shot-18.03.25_17.46.19-0161.jpg

I believe the current threshold for preferential matchmaking is $1000...:Smile_teethhappy::Smile_glasses:

And you can put more than one picture in a post....

Edited by awiggin

[LWA]
Members
683 posts
10,246 battles

Keep in mind there are over 15000 players, and I keep being put in games with T10s and T9s

shot-18.03.25_18.08.57-0705.jpg

[LWA]
Members
683 posts
10,246 battles

WG needs to heed our complaints as they are valid.  It is no fun to be constantly up tiered most or ALL the time.  HELLO, IS ANYONE LISTENING???

shot-18.03.25_18.14.16-0529.jpg

[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,843 posts
7,636 battles

Some of those other T8s don't seem to have a problem doing well in those matches it seems... plus damage to higher tiers gives more exp vs same or lower tiers.

• Boring 1

[STP]
Members
107 posts
10,346 battles

I agree, tier 10 are not something that difficult to grind like it was, today I think wg should increase the number of tier 10s in a battle and avoid putting any tier 8s at all since the difference is absurd, and almost every time...

Members
4,723 posts
7,775 battles

Some tiers are like this.  Try playing a tier 5 cruiser....I am always looking at ships a tier or two higher. I LIKE the fun of killing a tier 7 in my tier 5 Kirov or Murmansk. It can be done! 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,144 posts
8,683 battles

Blame the profitability of T10, their getting overpopulated with no real incentive to play low tier. In addition, the protected mm system of the low tiers has cause many tier brackets to be bottlenecked, like t3, t5, and t8 in particular. That being said, low tier ships can do work in unfavorable mm regardless thou. Thank god the power increases aren't as major as they are in WOT.

Spoiler

shot-18_02.06_18_10.13-0603.thumb.jpg.877c5601a809ba0ba5ee868d30c6cc26.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_03.17_19_51.38-0924.thumb.jpg.c3d207ede2d2d4497cd82cde161d3820.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_03.17_15_05.56-0834.thumb.jpg.1b34fa4933e73177a690c3f67bf189e6.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
additional info added

[BS]
Members
1,378 posts
7,635 battles

They could have handicapping for tier 5 and 8 ships when they're uptiered? Have an A/B version of the ship, when they're uptiered the B stats are increased to make them more competitive. Nothing to do with armor though, but atleast give them a punchers chance (glass cannon)

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
3,008 posts
6,346 battles

I hope they eventually make +0/-0 MM when there are a lot of people on. Ranked is like that, and is fairly well balanced.

• Cool 3

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
359 posts
8,025 battles

this is the main reason i begone to stop playing this game is because the elfing match maker will put me in a tier 10 match 95% of the time regardless  of how many people are in match. The funny thing is too is how quickly match maker pulls me into a match, ill wait at most 15 seconds and im in a match yet im 1 of maybe 2 or 3 ships that are actually tier 8 and everything else is tier 10.  i would rather wait 2 minutes and get into a decent match where im not tring to claw my way tooth and nail to get some decent damage and not be a liability to my team. In fact each damn time i load into a match and see what im up against i feel like just exiting out because ill just be a darn burden to my team.

[BS]
Members
1,378 posts
7,635 battles

they don't want this game to get really big, i'm serious... you can tell by their actions. anyone with a brain can tell tier 5/8 ships hurt player retention and thus sales.

probably because they don't want to hire more people, it'll eat up profit...the demand will wane in a year or two.

[AFW]
Beta Testers
143 posts
6,238 battles

Tier 8 to be fair has most of the more interesting and least gimmicky ships if that's any consolation.... Plus to be a devil's advocate when your top tier your advantages over 7s and 6s is pretty black and white as well. Believe me my Atago shares your pain... but I still take it out and do okay in it just like all the other line and premium ships I have at tier 8. Uptiering is rather painful and over done for tier 8s, but its not the end of the world.... (compared to say tier 5).

Members
1,584 posts
16,978 battles

Some T8s fair better then others....   Edinburgh is not strong there, but Akizuki really doesn't care who she tears up.  Atago can play at range and do OK.  Really, you are grinding one of the more painful ships.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,018 posts
7,817 battles

My feeling is that I tend to be under-tiered more in my T8 cruisers. For T8 BBs, the MM feels quite okay.

As for DDs, I don't care about MM that much as I can avoid fights I don't want to take.

[INTEL]
Members
9,807 posts
27,863 battles
16 hours ago, Warped_1 said:

Some T8s fair better then others....   Edinburgh is not strong there, but Akizuki really doesn't care who she tears up.  Atago can play at range and do OK.  Really, you are grinding one of the more painful ships.

He shouldnt have to be uptiered so much irrespective of what he is grinding. There is no excuse for a two tier spread with 15000 players on the server.  One tier would be fine, no one would complain -- nobody ever comes here to bawl that they were low tier in a T5-6 match. Nobody shows up here to complain that they were T5 in a T4-5 match.

Simply no excuse for not moving to a 1 tier spread when the server is at peak population. None. 

Until WG implemented that vastly destructive restricted T4 MM, T5 and T6 and T8 were a blast. Now new players hurry past T5 and T6 because they are such a trial, meaning that they arrive at T7 and T8 without the requisite experience. 

The single best move that WG could make to improve the game play would be to revert the T3-4 restricted MM. 

That said, this string of uptiering, though unconscionable, is abnormal. Bummer for you, OP. Look me up if you want to div T8s.  

• Cool 3

[WNSTN]
Members
2,709 posts
16,399 battles

I paid extra for good MM during this time and it really helped me get through the grind of this ship relatively unscathed..

image.thumb.png.63b00dd1ed422eaccb3f925c48c1004d.png

Spoiler

Very low quality bait. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

There should be a "pity" match granted if you get bottom tier 4 or 5 times in a row, so the next match is garunteed to be top tier. Would ease the pain of tier 5 and 8 a lot. Would be optional, because the queue time would be longer. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,144 posts
8,683 battles
21 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Until WG implemented that vastly destructive restricted T4 MM, T5 and T6 and T8 were a blast. Now new players hurry past T5 and T6 because they are such a trial, meaning that they arrive at T7 and T8 without the requisite experience. 

The single best move that WG could make to improve the game play would be to revert the T3-4 restricted MM. 

well said, +1 later.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

You are not alone when it comes to tier 8 I can't quote the numbers but I bet it is up there over 80%