Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Finnkax

Why I have to aim deck-line to get shells hit waterline? Especially close quarters?

12 comments in this topic

[PIZZA]
Members
823 posts
9,309 battles

Why I have to aim deck-line to get shells hit waterline? Especially very close quarters. Is aiming point now in different point?

[SF-A]
Members
3,007 posts
6,339 battles

It's just the way the random dispersion works. By aiming at the waterline, you get favorable rolls (citadels) and ok rolls (belt) but also many unfavorable rolls (water). Shooting at the upper belt shifts some 'water' rolls to 'favorable' rolls and some 'favorable' rolls to 'belt' rolls.

All together you just get a better 'table' to draw from when you go for a random result.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
10,656 posts

The view is different at very close range. It's best to hold the right mouse button down and aim out of binocular mode for more accurate brawling fire.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,543 posts
4,201 battles

It can depend on the angle that the enemy ship is moving at. If the enemy ship is moving at an angle away from you, you will need to aim slightly higher. This is to account for the time it takes for your shells to travel to the target.

Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles

The answer is quite simple. At close range, most ships gun barrels only depress a few degrees down while at far range, they elevate much higher. The angle of the barrel indicates the ballistic trajectory of the shell.

Since you can't depress the angle of the gun down at close range, the shell can only fly in a rather shallow trajectory (or straight line). The shell can only hit the upper area of an enemy ship.

[PIZZA]
Members
823 posts
9,309 battles
29 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The view is different at very close range. It's best to hold the right mouse button down and aim out of binocular mode for more accurate brawling fire.

Hmm - thanks! I try this.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

The field of view in binocular view can't really handle ranges under 2-3 km, depending on the height of your ship. The best way is to zoom all the way in from the ship view, so the camera sits on your turrets.

2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

1 hour ago, Finnkax said:

Hmm - thanks! I try this.

Keep in mind you can't aim while holding RMB, it auto tracks the ship so you can shoot and drive at the same time.

Members
3,175 posts
3,519 battles
2 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

It's just the way the random dispersion works. By aiming at the waterline, you get favorable rolls (citadels) and ok rolls (belt) but also many unfavorable rolls (water). Shooting at the upper belt shifts some 'water' rolls to 'favorable' rolls and some 'favorable' rolls to 'belt' rolls.

All together you just get a better 'table' to draw from when you go for a random result.

I like how you can do this in the Dunkerque and still have most of the shells hit water. Hahaha. 

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
928 posts
7,850 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Holding the right mouse button actually holds the guns at there last aimed position, similar in WoT. This allows one to look around the ship whilst keeping the guns pointing towards a desired vector vice having them follow your view around. You can keep shooting, but they will not be necessarily aiming at what you are looking at.

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
928 posts
7,850 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

I like how you can do this in the Dunkerque and still have most of the shells hit water. Hahaha. 

I can do this in the Mikasa, and have each of the four shells land in separate zip codes at the same ranges.

• Funny 1

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

I think it has something to do with paralax. This is the best diagram I could find that roughly demonstrates my point:

diagram.gif.9a5ec626556373ae9b65eb2d687358bf.gif

Basically you aren't looking down the gun barrels, so the views don't match up. The guns might be elevated to only a few degrees, while you might be looking down on the enemy. Solve this by zooming out to the lowest magnification where you can still see the reticle. This doesn't matter at long range because the difference is negligible, but up close it's a big factor. 

Sign in to follow this