Jump to content
AdmiralThunder

I have finally "Conquered" The British BB LIne

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles

Reached Conqueror today. It was the last of the T10 BB's I needed so I now have them all. Have to say the BRN BB line is my least favorite by a long shot (and the amount of Free XP I used to speed up the line past some real stinkers like QE and Monarch, and even Lion, testifies to that LOL). Truthfully T7 KGV is the only standard tech tree BB I liked and have kept. The rest are long gone. I will keep Conqueror regardless of liking it or not (already bought the perma camo so not going anywhere LOL).

I actually swapped my highest point BRN Capt to Minotaur when I got it so I only have a 13pt one for Conqueror. So just the basics + SI and CE. Module wise I went MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, SGM2,, CSM1, and MBM3 (for now - when my Capt can add BFT/AFT I will try an AA build as AA seems pretty good just stock).

Played 1st game and unlike the last couple BB's in the line I managed to win the 1st one LOL. Even came in 1st on team even though results weren't spectacular. Seems like it will be ok but man I hate spamming HE like a Cruiser. :Smile_sceptic: I am going to try and use the AP more as stat wise it seems decent.

So all the BB lines are done. Time to get after some Cruiser lines now.

7R7Q68n.jpg

wIqXoJu.jpg

EDYWZH8.jpg

blODo1j.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,164
[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,002 battles

I'm currently on the Lion myself, but am uncertain whether I want to grind it out.  I ground out the Monarch which was a stinker.  The Lion seems like it might be OK, but for some reason I'm not feeling the love.  Maybe it's because I've already got a 19 point RN BB captain and a big stinking pile of FXP and could FXP to the Conqueror without making much of a dent in it.  I haven't been playing it much of late, preferring to focus more on my Saint-Louis, Richelieu, Z-46, Chung Mu, and Neptune.

Is the Lion considered a good ship in the RN BB line or not?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
11 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm currently on the Lion myself, but am uncertain whether I want to grind it out.  I ground out the Monarch which was a stinker.  The Lion seems like it might be OK, but for some reason I'm not feeling the love.  Maybe it's because I've already got a 19 point RN BB captain and a big stinking pile of FXP and could FXP to the Conqueror without making much of a dent in it.  I haven't been playing it much of late, preferring to focus more on my Saint-Louis, Richelieu, Z-46, Chung Mu, and Neptune.

Is the Lion considered a good ship in the RN BB line or not?

 

Over the last week I've begun to like the Lion much more. The key is to not switch off between AP and HE and to commit yourself to being a HE spammer. Lion is a good ship, before Alsace came along it was leading T9 tech tree BB's in stats(by a healthy margin) and was leading all T9's before the Musashi came along. 

OP's dislike of the UK BB line seems to be a matter of personal taste more than the ships being bad. 

Edited by Aristotle83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
633 posts
4,553 battles

OP maybe part of your dislike for the line is HE spamming and fires are designed for DoT which is sorta contrary to short nature of a typical coop battle?  Also, do Capt skills and module upgrades really matter in coop? Just wondering,  I don’t PVE much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles

Dang it OP! You beat me to the pun!

 

but good job! I’m working on the line myself, I’m at Iron Duke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,164
[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,002 battles
21 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Over the last week I've begun to like the Lion much more. The key is to not switch off between AP and HE and to commit yourself to being a HE spammer. Lion is a good ship, before Alsace came along it was leading T9 tech tree BB's in stats(by a healthy margin) and was leading all T9's before the Musashi came along. 

OP's dislike of the UK BB line seems to be a matter of personal taste more than the ships being bad. 

Well, I think that most people agree that the Monarch is, shall we say, lacking.  OTOH, I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the QE, though it did tend to play more like a "normal" AP slinging BB than an HE spamming RN BB.  I ground through it quite easily.  Of course, I also have the Warspite, so I was completely comfortable with the QE's play style even before I got her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, I think that most people agree that the Monarch is, shall we say, lacking.  OTOH, I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the QE, though it did tend to play more like a "normal" AP slinging BB than an HE spamming RN BB.  I ground through it quite easily.  Of course, I also have the Warspite, so I was completely comfortable with the QE's play style even before I got her.

Oh I mean overall. Not denying Monarch isn't one of the worst ships on the line and I don't like the ship for various reasons. That being said, statwise Monarch is still quite competitive at T8, and while I do think T8 is one of the worst if not the worst tier's, QE is the UK BB with the worst numbers compared to it's peers. Monarch is like Iron Duke IMO it is a barely modified version of the super OP ship at the previous tier, with horrid matchmaking.  There's also the thing about it not being in the ame that bothers me.

Per the QE not feeling not an HE slinger, QE, Warspite and Hood are the only three UK BB's with clearly better AP than HE, they are exceptions to the HE spamming steroetype and their AP is their main asset. Neither QE or the improved Warspite are really my thing but I love the Hood to death(own all three). Aside from the three ships I just named and Bellerophon at T3 every UK BB has the 40%+fire chance HE.

That being said just because HE is a ships primary weapon doesn't mean the UK BB's AP is garbage either and Orion in particular has super OP AP despite it being less OP than the HE. Still people who don't like the HE are bound to prefer one of the other lines. On paper thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,997
[RLGN]
Members
10,105 posts
19,503 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Reached Conqueror today.

Please enjoy it at least two people's worth. That way I won't have to feel guilty about a complete lack of desire to get there myself.

Good going. You've more ambition and patience than I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
10 hours ago, Crucis said:

I'm currently on the Lion myself, but am uncertain whether I want to grind it out.  I ground out the Monarch which was a stinker.  The Lion seems like it might be OK, but for some reason I'm not feeling the love.  Maybe it's because I've already got a 19 point RN BB captain and a big stinking pile of FXP and could FXP to the Conqueror without making much of a dent in it.  I haven't been playing it much of late, preferring to focus more on my Saint-Louis, Richelieu, Z-46, Chung Mu, and Neptune.

Is the Lion considered a good ship in the RN BB line or not?

 

I played every BB in the BRN line. IMO KGV hands down is the best (excluding Conqueror - can't say it is best or not yet). I would have said Lion would be the 2nd best before getting Conqueror but after just 2 games I already like Conqueror more than Lion. Lion is leaps and bounds better than Monarch but that isn't exactly a huge hurdle to leap over nor is being #2 in that line.

I wanted to get all the T10 BB's so I pushed through a line I just didn't like to get there. It was similar for me in the IJN BB line getting to Yamato. Didn't like quite a few of the IJN BB's but at least they had some good points. I am hard pressed to find any good points in a lot of the BRN BB's.

If you like BB's in general Conqueror might be worth it to you. I actually tried using the AP a lot in the 2nd game with it and it is ok. Guess it is the exact same guns/ammo Lion uses but sure seems better? Probably 12 v 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
11 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Reached Conqueror today.

Well congrats AdmiralThunder, I lost interest in the RN BBs awhile back. I am up to Lyon with my beloved MN BBs, and will be keeping all of the MN Battleships and Cruisers. I will do the MN Destroyers, when and if the line comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
10 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

OP's dislike of the UK BB line seems to be a matter of personal taste more than the ships being bad. 

Yeah no, the ships are just bad/meh in general. Most of them are just one trick ponies = HE Spammers. And while I do dislike that gimmick/trait if they had other good features or could at least play marginally well as a traditional BB I would not dislike them so much. But, they don't and they can't.

As I mentioned to Crucis above. I really didn't like a lot of the IJN BB's either as I ground out Yamato BUT even the ones I didn't like had some good points I could focus on which allowed me to actually play them, do well in them, and not hate the experience so bad I had to stop playing a ship and Free XP past it like I did in QE/Monarch/Lion after just a small # of games. 

And actually my real dislike for the line starts at T6. T3-T5 in the line are ok overall but T6-T9 suck other than KGV. QE and Monarch are HORRIBLE! Lion isn't bad but it sure isn't good. To borrow a phrase from LWM it is a "Meh Bote".

The only one I really have liked enough to keep and actually enjoy playing is KGV. Yes, it is a good HE Spammer but it can do more than that and it is actually pretty tough. You can also carry a game if needed in it which you most definitely can't do in QE/Monarch/Lion.

Also, being a PVE player also comes into this. The BRN BB line (KGV excluded and perhaps Conqueror) isn't well suited for Co-op play with their HE gimmick. Not enough enemy ships or generally game time to earn your damage via fire and do well.

I dislike the line because of the HE thing but it goes well beyond that. T6 on most are not very good and I have now played them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
11 hours ago, missile742 said:

OP maybe part of your dislike for the line is HE spamming and fires are designed for DoT which is sorta contrary to short nature of a typical coop battle?  Also, do Capt skills and module upgrades really matter in coop? Just wondering,  I don’t PVE much

Part of the issue I have with the HE thing does in fact involve me playing Co-op only. Not enough enemy ships or generally time in a game to do the damage you need to with HE from a BB. Also, if you get down and need to carry (this can be facing multiple bots alone or with lesser #'s, needing to cap, or maybe a last stand in base to defend) I find the BRN BB's T6+, excluding KGV, woefully unsuited for a "carry" BB role. They don't have the alpha strike or toughness to handle that role. I just find them lacking in so many areas beyond the HE thing.

Oh absolutely Capt skills and ship modules matter in Co-op. At least in the mid - higher tiers. Just as they help you and can make a difference in PVP they do the same in Co-op. I would say about the same time you start to really benefit from those things in PVP you will in Co-op too.

The builds are usually different though as the meta between Co-op and Random is different. Co-op is like a school yard rumble where it is all hands on deck and you WILL fight or lose. It is not stand off chess like so many PVP games end up being (note I am just trying to be descriptive not insulting or start a PVP vs PVE argument). The bots 100% of the time, from the moment the game starts, come for you. That is never in doubt.

So for instance a full secondary build on a German or French BB actually can not only be used in Co-op but is beneficial whereas in PVP maybe not so much as people don't tend to get close there. Full AA builds can be useful too as you do get quite a few CV's in Co-op as it is where many go to learn to play them plus the new Co-op MM gives them more now too. It is a big help.

Capt skills are big too. Things like concealment, improved survivability, AR, etc... are big for Co-op Capt skills because the bots are so aggressive and also excellent shots (the higher you go the better they get). Bots also have the infuriating ability to set you on fire over and over again (way easier than you can to them - can't count the times the very 1st single shell hit of the game = fire) and when they hit you with AP they almost always seem to land big hits. I believe WG programmed it this way to make the bots/Co-op competitive.

If you have never been in a higher tier Co-op game where it is just you alone or maybe 1 or 2 of you vs a whole bunch of angry bots you don't know how tough that can be.  They gang up like a pack of wolves and they just come for you and don't quit. Also, even when undetected bots actually know where you are. You generally can't run and hide from them to pull out a win unless you are in a much faster ship (and even then they are good at taking routes to close the distance and appear from impossible areas). They also will popup with their guns right on you and fire the split second you become detected even if you never were prior.

So yes the way you build your Capt's and ships matters in Co-op too. Might be different skills and modules but it still matters and is a big help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
11 hours ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Dang it OP! You beat me to the pun!

 

but good job! I’m working on the line myself, I’m at Iron Duke!

Thanks.

The Duke is an ok BB for T5 but get ready for a big steaming turd coming your way in the QE. It is horribad. Probably the worst Bb in the entire BRN line. I think it is even worse than Monarch which is god awful too.

10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Please enjoy it at least two people's worth. That way I won't have to feel guilty about a complete lack of desire to get there myself.

Good going. You've more ambition and patience than I.

ROFL. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,491 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks.

The Duke is an ok BB for T5 but get ready for a big steaming turd coming your way in the QE. It is horribad. Probably the worst Bb in the entire BRN line. I think it is even worse than Monarch which is god awful too.

ROFL. 

 

Yeah i wont like, she's the failure of the bunch but im willing to deal with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
28 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well congrats AdmiralThunder, I lost interest in the RN BBs awhile back. I am up to Lyon with my beloved MN BBs, and will be keeping all of the MN Battleships and Cruisers. I will do the MN Destroyers, when and if the line comes out.

Thanks.

It is definitely worth noting I finished the French BB's before the BRN BB's even though they came out much later. Now, yes, I got the 4 BB's in the event so that helped a lot but I actually liked playing the line so I focused on it and finished it right off whereas I dragged my feet for a long time with the BRN line because I didn't enjoy them outside of KGV as I have said.

Lyon is an absolute blast to play. I know you are dying to get to Richelieu because you have this weird love for all guns forward ships LOL. I don't share your passion for them but have to be honest and admit Richelieu is pretty good. Would rather play it then most of the BRN BB's. You will really love Alsace (I think - took me a while but once I figured it out I love it) and then Republique is just a beast.

I don't DD so have no interest in the French line but I know you have a goal of every ship that is French so good luck with them LOL.

Glad to see you back. :Smile_great:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
3 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

Yeah i wont like, she's the failure of the bunch but im willing to deal with her. 

At least it is only a T6 so it won't take long to get past it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks.

It is definitely worth noting I finished the French BB's before the BRN BB's even though they came out much later. Now, yes, I got the 4 BB's in the event so that helped a lot but I actually liked playing the line so I focused on it and finished it right off whereas I dragged my feet for a long time with the BRN line because I didn't enjoy them outside of KGV as I have said.

Lyon is an absolute blast to play. I know you are dying to get to Richelieu because you have this weird love for all guns forward ships LOL. I don't share your passion for them but have to be honest and admit Richelieu is pretty good. Would rather play it then most of the BRN BB's. You will really love Alsace (I think - took me a while but once I figured it out I love it) and then Republique is just a beast.

I don't DD so have no interest in the French line but I know you have a goal of every ship that is French so good luck with them LOL.

Glad to see you back. :Smile_great:

Thanks AT, it is good to be back. Now as far as all the guns forward, remember I like the Myogi too and almost all her guns are aft.:Smile_honoring::cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
8 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Thanks AT, it is good to be back. Now as far as all the guns forward, remember I like the Myogi too and almost all her guns are aft.:Smile_honoring::cap_haloween:

You really need a visit with a shrink. :Smile_amazed:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You really need a visit with a shrink. :Smile_amazed:

LOL:cap_haloween: I know my wife tells me that all the time LOL:cap_haloween:

But I really did enjoy the Myogi, and she and I seemed to get along - see. I have a Ten Point Captain waiting for her when I buy her back.

Overall Results

Battles 37
Victories 19 (51%)
Battles survived 19
Damage caused 733,441
Warships destroyed 30
Aircraft destroyed 65

Average Score per Battle

Experience 590.49
Damage caused 19,822.73
Warships destroyed 0.81
Aircraft destroyed 1.76
Main battery hit ratio 17%

Highest Score

Experience 1,644
Damage caused 61,538
Warships destroyed 4
Aircraft destroyed 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,997
[RLGN]
Members
10,105 posts
19,503 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

At least it is only a T6 so it won't take long to get past it.

QE?

I remember the days of glacial turret traverse with Warspite, so maybe it wouldn’t be so bad?

I originally wanted a KGV, but the confusion between it or Monarch getting the 15 inch guns; and deciding to North Cape (DoY, Scharn,) instead of completing the Denmark Strait quartet (Bis-ko, Hood, PE, PoW,) dampened that desire considerably.

Still only on Orion and Normandie...

So many people playing the lines to the end so enthusiastically...

with 700 mil credits and 10 mil-ish ship/fxp, it’s not like I couldn’t get there...

...there’s just no desire to do so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

QE?

I remember the days of glacial turret traverse with Warspite, so maybe it wouldn’t be so bad?

I originally wanted a KGV, but the confusion between it or Monarch getting the 15 inch guns; and deciding to North Cape (DoY, Scharn,) instead of completing the Denmark Strait quartet (Bis-ko, Hood, PE, PoW,) dampened that desire considerably.

Still only on Orion and Normandie...

So many people playing the lines to the end so enthusiastically...

with 700 mil credits and 10 mil-ish ship/fxp, it’s not like I couldn’t get there...

...there’s just no desire to do so...

I actually like Warspite yet hate QE go figure LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
4 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

LOL:cap_haloween: I know my wife tells me that all the time LOL:cap_haloween:

But I really did enjoy the Myogi, and she and I seemed to get along - see. I have a Ten Point Captain waiting for her when I buy her back.

Overall Results

Battles 37
Victories 19 (51%)
Battles survived 19
Damage caused 733,441
Warships destroyed 30
Aircraft destroyed 65

Average Score per Battle

Experience 590.49
Damage caused 19,822.73
Warships destroyed 0.81
Aircraft destroyed 1.76
Main battery hit ratio 17%

Highest Score

Experience 1,644
Damage caused 61,538
Warships destroyed 4
Aircraft destroyed 6

My results and your don't match LOL...:Smile_facepalm:

Overall Results

  • Battles 6
  • Victories 2 (33%)
  • Battles survived 1
  • Damage caused 122,634
  • Warships destroyed 3
  • Aircraft destroyed 0

Average Score per Battle

  • Experience 685.67 
  • Damage caused 20,439.00 
  • Warships destroyed 0.50 
  • Aircraft destroyed 0.00 
  • Main battery hit ratio 22%

Highest Score

  • Experience 977
  • Damage caused 33,450
  • Warships destroyed 2
  • Aircraft destroyed 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

My results and your don't match LOL...:Smile_facepalm:

Well I think everyone have that one ship they cannot get to work. Heck I still love (and have) my little Black Swan and got old Jack Dunkirk on it. And BTW for me it was the USN BB line, I just cannot seem to get them to work for me, BUT it is the next line after I am done with all the French.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,988
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,200 posts
14,342 battles
2 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I think everyone have that one ship they cannot get to work. Heck I still love (and have) my little Black Swan and got old Jack Dunkirk on it. And BTW for me it was the USN BB line, I just cannot seem to get them to work for me, BUT it is the next line after I am done with all the French.

I was surprised to see that I actually out damage/XP/MBH%  you with it on average. Of course you kick my butt in wins and high score. Makes me feel a little better about my brief Random performances with it. You like the ship, do well in it, and are a better PVP player than me so if I can hold my own vs you in a ship I hated so much, in a mode I don't play much, and felt so useless in, maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
Members
4,117 posts
8,680 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I was surprised to see that I actually out damage/XP/MBH%  you with it on average. Of course you kick my butt in wins and high score. Makes me feel a little better about my brief Random performances with it. You like the ship, do well in it, and are a better PVP player than me so if I can hold my own vs you in a ship I hated so much, in a mode I don't play much, and felt so useless in, maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought? LOL

Oh I am not that big of a PVP player, heck I hate going into the Cluster:etc_swear: of Random Games. BUT there are times I do just for the easy credits - just hit a couple of times and you are making cash:Smile_facepalm:.

Here is my PvE Stats -- I am not bragging, heck I still think stats are silly.

Overall Results

Battles 57
Victories 54 (95%)
Battles survived 53
Damage caused 1,784,468
Warships destroyed 53
Aircraft destroyed 20

Average Score per Battle

Experience 282.23
Damage caused 31,306.46
Warships destroyed 0.93
Aircraft destroyed 0.35
Main battery hit ratio 30%

Highest Score

Experience 575
Damage caused 105,457
Warships destroyed 4
Aircraft destroyed 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×