You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Minekaze or Mutsuki - Which one first?

28 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
176 posts
3,830 battles

At 15k exp with the Isokaze and wondering which line folks like better.  The Mutsuki for the torps or the Minekaze for the guns?  Any thoughts?

Edited by S7CentNickel

[FAP]
Members
45 posts
4,822 battles

I like the Mine so much I went and bought her back and am playing  her again with a new now 3 skill captain  Something about the 3x2 torp tubes and quick reload makes it one of the most fun ships for me to play.  I love 3 torp launchers per ship as I can launch 2 and keep 1 in reserve.

[WORX]
Members
2,562 posts
13,923 battles

None, THe Isho is the pinnacle of fun torp boats that is free. After her  it goes down hill from there. IF I were you I just go down the primary line. With the skills learned from those ships can transfer easy to the German DD line.  Good Luck!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,437 posts
16,097 battles

Honestly, I would roll with the primary tree first so you have an avenue to T10.  Otherwise you top out at T8 with Akizuki. 

There really isn't a "gun" theme, just a series of unique ships on the alternate line.

Edited by Warped_1

[SYN]
Members
14,856 posts
11,322 battles
39 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

At 15k exp with the Isokaze and wondering which line folks like better.  The Mutsuki for the torps or the Minekaze for the guns?  Any thoughts?

Mutsuki for the torps?

1320529223886.jpg

Minekaze for the guns?

186b73.jpg

Truth is, they both blow, severely, at both.

Two of the crappiest T5 DDs in the game right now. Their guns blow and to top it off, their torps are extremely garbage, easily spotted and easily dodged.

The only thing they can even remotely do right now is spotting.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I'd go with Minekaze first, IF you're looking a GunBote hybrid style of play; if the IJN DDs are your highest DD line. If you have other GunBote options then stick to the Mainline Mutsuki; sure the IJN Torpedo line has taken hits over the patches, but things could potentially turn around a tiny bit. 

Currently I've got Fubuki and Minekaze as back burner grinds, have had them since they were split. They are OK fun. But since I've picked up the Harekaze I've almost forgotten about them since I prefer Mid-High tiers. 

Fubuki is fun, even if she's a shadow of her T8 self, but if you've never experienced that then you won't miss what you've never had. Although there's is Shinonome, which is a Fubuki-class in her old T8 config but "rebalanced" for T6.

Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles

The torp line is better to start in, Mutsuki, Fubuki, and Kagero are pretty decent. Hatsuharu is good on the gun side. I felt the Minekaze wasn't as good as it used to be.

The only gem on the gun side is the Akizuki. Shiratsuyu is the turd of the line, being one of the slowest of Japanese  destroyers at 30 knots. It's only saving grace is you can spec the captain to shoot the guns out to 12kms.

Beta Testers
1,490 posts
7,294 battles
54 minutes ago, Fusilier01 said:

The torp line is better to start in, Mutsuki, Fubuki, and Kagero are pretty decent. Hatsuharu is good on the gun side. I felt the Minekaze wasn't as good as it used to be.

The only gem on the gun side is the Akizuki. Shiratsuyu is the turd of the line, being one of the slowest of Japanese  destroyers at 30 knots. It's only saving grace is you can spec the captain to shoot the guns out to 12kms.

Wait wait what?  Shiratsuyu’s an insanely good t7, although she does suffer some when fighting t8 DD.

Having the best detection in t7 + the ability to throw out 16 torps is her claim to fame.  She shouldn’t be trying to gun around, Akatsuki is much better at that.

Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles
22 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Wait wait what?  Shiratsuyu’s an insanely good t7, although she does suffer some when fighting t8 DD.

Having the best detection in t7 + the ability to throw out 16 torps is her claim to fame.  She shouldn’t be trying to gun around, Akatsuki is much better at that.

She's subpar no matter how you make it. She's slow and Torpedo reload booster doesn't make it great; especially at the cost of smoke. Honestly, Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu should be switched in the trees.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,162 battles

Aim for an Akazuki, one of the best DD out there if you like to pew pew ships

[ARP2]
Members
454 posts
4,173 battles

Shiratsuyu right now could be considered a tier 8 Kagero. It's worse in every to Akatsuki except in stealth and she cannot mount torpedo reload booster and smoke at the same time. She also only goes like 34 knots and has worse guns. If you want to learn to play Kagero pick up Shiratsuyu (all the more reason Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu should switch places in the tech tree)

Minekaze isn't as good as she used to be, Mutsuki is garbage. Fubuki is decent once you get the torpedo upgrade, Hatsuharu is alright at most.

Beta Testers
29 posts
8,170 battles
18 hours ago, AyanoMidori said:

Mutsuki is garbage.

I don't see why Mutsuki gets all the hate. The guns are so-so, but Her claim to fame is 63 knot torpedos  and ok AA for a Japanese DD at Tier 5. She can do well in some matches if played well.

Honestly, if I went with Concealment Expert, I would probably play her like a bigger Umikaze.

[SYN]
Members
14,856 posts
11,322 battles
40 minutes ago, Fusilier01 said:

I don't see why Mutsuki gets all the hate. The guns are so-so, but Her claim to fame is 63 knot torpedos  and ok AA for a Japanese DD at Tier 5. She can do well in some matches if played well.

Honestly, if I went with Concealment Expert, I would probably play her like a bigger Umikaze.

63 knot torpedoes that get spotted 15s out = useless

[ARP2]
Members
454 posts
4,173 battles

Mutsuki's torpedoes take too long to reload, despite having the same amount as Minekaze. Wargaming's excuse is muh triple torpedo launchers!

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
575 posts
3,843 battles

Neither.  Sell a kidney and buy a Kamikaze/Fujin.  Then you can experience a semblance of the line before Wargaming "rebalanced" it for guns.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,966 battles

Unless you are masochist, stop the IJN DD line right there. Switch to USN DDs and actually enjoy the game.

[MVKS]
Members
176 posts
3,830 battles
3 hours ago, WhimsicalPacifist said:

Neither.  Sell a kidney and buy a Kamikaze/Fujin.  Then you can experience a semblance of the line before Wargaming "rebalanced" it for guns.

Got my Kamikaze already, one of the reasons I'm going down the IJN DD lines.  Thanks for the input from all.

Beta Testers
1,442 posts
8,852 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 8:32 PM, MrDeaf said:

Mutsuki for the torps?

1320529223886.jpg

Minekaze for the guns?

186b73.jpg

Truth is, they both blow, severely, at both.

Two of the crappiest T5 DDs in the game right now. Their guns blow and to top it off, their torps are extremely garbage, easily spotted and easily dodged.

The only thing they can even remotely do right now is spotting.

I disagree, at least about the Minekaze.  Been playing it since before the split, and I still do well with it (60% solo WR).  Admittedly, I have a 19 pt captain in it, and a couple years playing experience.

Minekaze is fast, agile, and sneaky.  Even with nerfed torps, it can still land hits with them - 3 launchers and a fast reload means it's also good for area denial  or herding BB's.  Guns are kinda meh, but they aren't useless.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,984 posts
3,895 battles

Forget about picking Mutsuki or Minekaze if you want something good, and look further down their respective lines.

Akizuki and Akatsuki are good goals. This should be what influences your decision, not whether Minekaze or Mutsuki are good. Because Mutsuki was never good and Minekaze used to be and has a reputation as such but is pretty trash now.

For reference: Fujin used to be a worse Minekaze, and is now considered stupidly overpowered. But nothing on Fujin has changed.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,958 posts
5,976 battles

All of the IJN DDs, to me, fall in different categories of one ship. The only differences being armament location, torpedo types, gun types, and speed/maneuverability. To me, the "torpedo boat" line is more of a "general purpose" line because they are not THAT torpedo focused.

• Minakaze: Fast, 120mm main guns, some 530mm torpedoes, all armaments parallel with each other (broadside to shoot all guns)
    • Minakaze
    • Kamikaze
    • Mutsuki
  • Fubuki: Less fast, 127mm "DP" main guns, many 610mm torpedo, all armaments parallel with each other except for one rear turret (can runaway while shooting two guns)
    • Fubuki
    • Akatsuki
    • Kagero
    • Yugumo
  • Hatsuharu: Fast, 127mm "DP" main guns, some 610mm torpedoes, all armaments parallel with each other (broadside to shoot all guns)
    • Shirayatsu
  • Akizuki: Much less fast, 100mm DP main guns, one 610mm torpedo, all armaments are not parallel with each other (any direction can shoot all guns)
    • Akizuki
  • Shimakaze: Very fast, 127mm DP main guns, even more 610mm torpedo, all armaments parallel with each other except for one rear turret (can runaway while shooting two guns)
    • Shimakaze
  • Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I like Fubuki a lot, so I would go for Mutsuki first. Mutsuki is a struggle though.

[NWNG]
Members
2,551 posts
4,407 battles

Neither are all that great, thanks to the IJN Torpedo Nerf. However, I would not call Mutsuki a Torpedo boat, nor would I call Minekaze a gun boat.

Minekaze, in my opinion, is a far better torpedo boat, with 3 torpedo turrets as opposed to 2. Sure both Mutsuki and Minekaze fire six torpedoes when all turrets fire, but Minekaze is able to target up to 3 ships, while Mutsuki is only able to target up to 2. All torpedoes on these ships, however, are very easy to dodge, again due to the IJN Torpedo Nerf.

Minekaze is a torpedo boat, gun boat hyprid, which does a very lousy job at both. While Mutsuki is... well... isn't really anything. Sure, 5.5 second gun reload, but only 2 guns, is nothing to be proud of.

Minekaze has 39 knots, while Mutsuki has 37.5 knots. Putting both at a very respectable speed for escaping. Both with the same detection range, means they are equals when it comes to spotting, with 5.6km (5.58, but I rounded up) with CE.

Mutsuki has better AA than Minekaze.

So Mutsuki has two things over Minekaze: gun reload speed and AA.

Minekaze: Flexibility with torpedoes, Speed, Number of Guns.

The only reason to take Mutsuki, is to get to T7-10, and the only reason to take Minekaze is for T7 and T8.

For me though, I personally find that Minekaze, thanks to her 2 extra guns, does far better when uptiered, than Mutsuki, with her 2 faster reloading guns. Especially when you take into account that DDs should rarely ever fire their Main Batteries.

when they are already spotted
Little to no chance of return fire
Only a single ship within firing range, in which said ship has low HP that you can easily finish off
No other option!