You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

SEARCH FOR THE GOEBEN

7 comments in this topic

Members
3,917 posts
8,402 battles

5ab7cfb3ea864_FFGoeben2.jpg.9721a66abd9721f22cc1052834e82b9a.jpg

Any new history-minded player in WoWs will search for the Goeben in vain--she isn't here yet. Along with a number of other famous ships not yet included (Borodino and Viribus Unitis come to mind), the Goeben is an obvious collector's item and a unique battlecruiser from the WW I era, perhaps the most famous that ever existed along with HMS Hood. She obviously has to be included here at some point.

Where would this ship appear in WoWs? Tier IV perhaps with her 11.1 inch main guns; I'll leave that to those better able to assess her in game terms. The photo above shows how incredibly low-slung she is--with a smaller detection range and very good speed she would be a stealthy ship.

Historical Notes:

Spoiler

"SMS Goeben was named for Prussian infantry General August Karl von Goeben and her keel was laid down on August 28th, 1909 and commissioned on July 2nd, 1912. The technical developments brought to the table by this shipbuilder included hardened steel (by Krupp) making it possible to build a battlecruiser with armor that could survive 6-inch (150mm) fire hits while, at the same time, being able to field battleship-caliber 11.1-inch main guns when engaging enemy cruisers, destroyers and cargo ships. The design used less armor than a traditional battleship of the period, allowing more speed to help the vessel escape from larger capital ships

Goeben was a trim ship with a low silhouette and carried 34 total guns as built, including a main armament of five twin-gun turrets holding 10x11.1-inch (28.3cm) SK L/50 (280mm) main guns capable of sending a 1,000lb shell a distance of 14 miles (513yd)(23km). She had a maximum speed of 28.4 knots.

When war broke out in 1914 The Goeben and the light cruiser Breslau made for the port of Messina, outrunning the British ships by way of their superior inherent speed. After coaling the ships broke out of the Strait of Messina heading east; British Admiral Milne attempted to close in with HMS Indefatigable and HMS Indomitable but was unsuccessful.

Goeben and Breslau arrived in Turkish waters near the Gallipoli Coast. Upon receiving word about the German ships, the Ottoman government provided a visa to Admiral Souchon and the two warships were allowed to stay in Turkish waters. The British had just been embarrassed as their numerically superior fleet failed to catch the Germans during a 1,000 mile chase. The two ships were tempting chess pieces in terms of the naval superiority over the Mediterranean, Marmara and Black Seas for the Central Powers. It only took hours for the Turkish government to accept the offer to purchase the vessels. Germany, in turn, accepted and transferred ownership of Goeben and Breslau to the Ottoman Navy on August 16th, 1914. This new naval power made Goeben the pivotal piece that convinced the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to walk the path of war alongside Germany.

Goeben was named after the famous Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Yavuz Sultan Selim while Breslau was christened Midilli after the capital of the island of Lesbos in the Aegean (conquered by the Turks in 1462 and ruled by the Ottoman Empire until the First Balkan War in 1912, to which Greece took the island from the Turks). Accordingly, Yavuz Sultan Selim now flew the Turkish naval flag and became the flagship of the Ottoman Empire Navy, albeit with her original German crew.

The Yavuz saw numerous actions in the Black Sea against the Russians during the war. After the defeat of the Central Powers, due to the Treaty of Sevres between the Ottoman Empire and the Allies, Yavuz was to be handed over to the Royal Navy as a war prize. Due to her not being seaworthy, the Royal Navy left her in Sevastopol. In 1923, after the Turkish War of Independence, the Treaty of Sevres was replaced by the Treaty of Lausanne which required Turkish warships, including Yavuz, to be repatriated back to the Turkish Navy. After the war, Yavuz was the only German-built battlecruiser still in service. From 1918 until 1926, she remained in the port city of Izmit, rusting at dockside.

Stationed in the Gulf of Izmit since1948, Yavuz was finally decommissioned and placed in reserve on December 20th, 1950. She remained inactive at anchor for four years and stricken from the Turkish Naval register on November 14th, 1954. Her name was painted over and she was assigned the hull number "B70". Seventeen years passed until B70 was sold for scrap to the M.K.E. Seyman company in 1971. Her last voyage was being towed by tugs to the scrapyard on June 7th, 1973 and, by February 1976, her hull had been loaded onto barges heading for steel mills to be melted down. The end of an honorable career lasting some sixty-four years, the vessel was the last of the European dreadnoughts in existence."

from: http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail.asp?ship_id=SMS-Goeben

from my thread on pre-dreadnoughts & dreadnoughts:

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 4

Members
292 posts
684 battles

I have read about her scape from the British and French forces in 1914 and she sure deserves her plase in history from that alone. Whit such a historical background and unique characteristics I would definitely support her inclusion as a premium. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,176 posts
3,844 battles

I would not want to play the Viribus Unitis or any of her sisters.  Those are some really weak battleships.  The only thing they have going for them is the 12 gun main armament which is well arranged and numerous.  The armor is weak, and if modelled properly, the torpedo defenses are virtually nil.  They'd be proverbial "Eggs with hammers."

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 10:23 PM, Murotsu said:

I would not want to play the Viribus Unitis or any of her sisters.  Those are some really weak battleships.  The only thing they have going for them is the 12 gun main armament which is well arranged and numerous.  The armor is weak, and if modelled properly, the torpedo defenses are virtually nil.  They'd be proverbial "Eggs with hammers."

12 guns potentially firing 3 rounds per minute, armor comparable to Wyoming though with a lower deck and therefore lower citadel. I think you are drastically underplaying the Tegethoff class. They'd be perfectly fine at tier 4.

The only real downsides to the class in-game are, as you mentioned, the TDS (if the model it accurately) and low hitpoints for tier 4 being some 6,000t lighter than ArkB. However, having lower end survivability in exchange for extreme firepower is a good balancing factor.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,176 posts
3,844 battles

That's why I called them "Eggs with hammers."  The only thing going for them is a big main battery.  The second they start taking damage, they're pretty much doomed.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
1 hour ago, Murotsu said:

That's why I called them "Eggs with hammers."  The only thing going for them is a big main battery.  The second they start taking damage, they're pretty much doomed.

That's called balance, that does not make them unplayable battleships.

If anything that makes them more desirable as the community tends to reject ships that have great survivability in trade for weak firepower (like Hood)

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,527 posts
11,524 battles
29 minutes ago, dseehafer said:

That's called balance, that does not make them unplayable battleships.

If anything that makes them more desirable as the community tends to reject ships that have great survivability in trade for weak firepower (like Hood)

Very much so, survivability can always be compensated for with skill - angling, positioning, maneuvering, use of DCP - but bad firepower is bad firepower.

I absolutely agree the Tegetthoffs can work at T4, I'm not 100% certain they'd get the full 3 RPM but going > 2 RPM seems entirely possible given the Konig sits at 2.3 RPM.

More generally the combat performance of the Goeben was impressive, though the relevance was often limited - she failed to interdict any France-North Africa convoys for instance. As YSS she is arguably almost single-handedly responsible for the destruction of the Ottoman Empire, which is no small thing. Her attack on Russian ports without a declaration of war was a major catalyst to bringing the Ottomans in on the side of the Central Powers and ultimately the Ottoman Empire collapsed during the war and post-war Treaties with France and Britain carving up large swathes of territory.

If I'd been Ottoman I would not have greeted the ship warmly knowing all that was to come...