You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mothkiller

High value low damage BB games

9 comments in this topic

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,954 battles

So I just had a decent game in my Montana, not that best but I felt pretty good about it, even though I didn't do a lot of damage.  

I got very close to the cap (I even contributed to the cap at the near the end of my game) and was focused on keeping the lurking Des Moines away as much as possible, so our DDs would be safe.  It seemed to work, he kept hiding behind a rock and then peaking out, firing for a bit and getting hit by me only to lurk back behind the rock again.  All this time I am using angling and a rock to mitigate damage from other BBs, (not so easy against the Yammy).  

At one point an NC and a Tirpitz are pushing me, and I am thinking of firing on the NC since the DM had just hidden again, but I think better and hold my fire.  Good choice, since as I suspected the DM takes his brave pills (I image he thinks I am occupied) and comes out showing quite a bit of side.  Boom, sunk.  No more radar threat on this cap.  The NC is sunk by tops from the Fletcher and Tirpitz is sunk by someone (not sure who) but not before the NC hits me pretty hard (hard to keep an angle when you are moving slowly and the NC is not).  So at this point I am very low, and eventually go down a torpedo, HE from a Lion and fires, (I almost get my DRP off in time to live a little longer but alas).  

I actually feel pretty good even though at the end I only did <80k damage.  But I felt I did a lot more contribution to our win than that number says.  After the match I look and see that I had 3.6 million in potential damage, one of the highest I have even taken, and I am 3rd on experience earned on my team.  Not great but a respectable 1.4k and a lot more than I would have thought given the damage total.

So, yeah.  I have to agree with the people that say, damage done is often not the most important number.

Battle details:

5ab7cebd0e748_ScreenShot2018-03-25at11_17_32AM.thumb.png.60449b95af8a955219fb24c5366a5f29.png

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles

I disagree... Had you NOT done 45k damage to that des moines you would have lost. Damage = wins especially in a BB.

• Cool 1

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,954 battles
1 minute ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

I disagree... Had you NOT done 45k damage to that des moines you would have lost. Damage = wins especially in a BB.

Sure, but I was forsaking a higher damage total to ensure I sunk that DM.  I could have not positioned myself to do that and fired on BBs only and I would have done a lot more damage, but the 3 DDs near me would have had a much harder time sinking those BBs and I would likely have been driven out and we would have lost the cap or sunk by focus fire from 4 BBs.

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles

Though there is no guarantee you would have had more damage had you shot at the Norcal though. In fact you would most probally have had less damage in that match.  Yes some ships jobs is not to damage but in a BB... Thats your job.. POP cruisers with a vengeance. Broadside BB's next.

[MOTH]
Members
55 posts
5,954 battles

I feel like we are agreeing to some degree.  That I should have focused on the DM like I did, but I disagree that BBs are only damage.  I think they are in equal measure, damage, threat and tanking.  Sometimes you cannot do all three, but doing 2 out of three is better than doing 1.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,285 posts
5,531 battles

BB absorbtion is often just as powerful as BB damage, providing you're smart about it. I had a match in my warspite last night where I basically held a flank solo against 4 cruisers, a 2 BBs and the Ranger's planes. I only wound up with 3 kills and roughly 65k damage, but my holding out for a good 8 minutes allowed my team the opportunity to wallop the opppsing flank.

Certainly not my best game (or the flashiest), but wins matter to me more than any other stat.

[USCC2]
Members
4,763 posts

Have to agree with Jolly to a degree, but I don't think it's the fact you didn't do a shed load of damage, rather you played smart and did the damage where it was needed.

For me this is what the BB is good at, dealing a high level of damage at a point where it is most needed (as you said regarding the DM....Boom!). This is why I keep talking about an even chance of doing damage for all ship types - it is merely the way it is delivered; in your BBs case every 30 secs and boom, in the case of smaller ships more frequently with DOT (less of the Boom lol).

Some just want to get in a big ship and think Boom, Boom, Boom, not using their heads as you did but the game will reward them at times. Nice game, even more so as you were happy with your own performance. :Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,205 posts
14,107 battles

8.49 minutes alive out of 1030 nice.

But, of cours,  your playing a tier 10 battleship ALL wrong.

20.49 km traveled.... it SHOULD be .49....

Battleships never move. [Sarcasm].

Good job, as your description explains way more than the numbers show.

[SALVO]
Members
19,951 posts
19,898 battles

Something to remember is that when it comes to XP earned, it's not raw damage done, but the damage done to each individual enemy ship as a percentage of that ship's total HP.  Clearly with that Des Moines, you did the vast majority of the damage that end up with his sinking.  And that's important. 

It's a reason why a DD can have a seemingly lowish damage game and still get good XP, if it killed 2 enemy DDs by taking most or all of each of their HP totals.  2 full damage DD kills by a DD almost guarantees a very, very good base XP game, even if you're only looking at perhaps 20k-ish damage.  Throw in a cap, and the game looks even better.

Doing a little bit of damage to a lot of ships isn't really as great for XP as doing a lot of damage to a small number of ships.