You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

US Cruiser Split: Something worth Free XP-ing for?

82 comments in this topic

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,568 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just out of interest, what currently happens with the ship immediately before the split in the Japanese and Russian destroyer lines? Does one have to earn separate XP unlocks for each sub-line via different gun/hull/torpedo pathways, or does one lot of XP unlock both?

I know that once you hit the St Louis, it offers you the battleship unlock via what appears to be a gun upgrade (it is actually just a fictitious placeholder) and the Phoenix unlock via the hull upgrade pathway, but that is for two dis-similar ship-type lines. I currently have no interest in unlocking US battleships so I did not follow that line, but I guess XP expended is XP expended, so yeah, you would have to grind the Tier V twice to follow both lines.

Another good reason to get the Cleveland before the split occurs, especially if I have no particular interest in grinding the Tier VI and VII light cruisers that will be beneath her (and which I assume will NOT be unlocked simply because I have the promoted Tier VIII ship).

Look at Minsk or Isokaze, and you can see what it is likely to look like.

It will be very similar.  It will be directly available, or they will put it behind some other Module.

No, any skipped ships will not be unlocked.

I got Bismarck in the campaign last year and still had to grind the intervening ships.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller

[TAFY3]
[TAFY3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
460 posts
10,058 battles

My Cleveland Captain had better STAY with my Cleveland.  I'm not paying to re-train, and already trained Captain.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
42 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just out of interest, what currently happens with the ship immediately before the split in the Japanese and Russian destroyer lines? Does one have to earn separate XP unlocks for each sub-line via different gun/hull/torpedo pathways, or does one lot of XP unlock both?

I know that once you hit the St Louis, it offers you the battleship unlock via what appears to be a gun upgrade (it is actually just a fictitious placeholder) and the Phoenix unlock via the hull upgrade pathway, but that is for two dis-similar ship-type lines. I currently have no interest in unlocking US battleships so I did not follow that line, but I guess XP expended is XP expended, so yeah, you would have to grind the Tier V twice to follow both lines.

Another good reason to get the Cleveland before the split occurs, especially if I have no particular interest in grinding the Tier VI and VII light cruisers that will be beneath her (and which I assume will NOT be unlocked simply because I have the promoted Tier VIII ship).

The Cleveland will be all alone at T8 in the CL branch and you will need to grind the ships under her if you want them. Or you just could grind from Cleveland to Seattle & Worcester.

[NWNG]
Members
3,070 posts
4,925 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Well, if you think reflexively only about your Cleveland commander, yes, but think about it:

1. This implementation provides the opportunity to have any of the Heavy cruiser line captains (where the ships are being downtiered) to stay at tier in a new ship without retraining, including Baltimore captain into  the new Buffalo.

2. Yeah, nobody wants their Cleveland commander retrained to another boat (well, maybe there are exceptions), and have to be retrained to be brought back to the same ship, but there is the stated workaround.

3. If you want your CA captains kept with the ship and not the tier, the workaround above can be applied in those instances, as well.

Yes, I do see the benefit of the commander staying at tier, when the old ship moves down a tier. But I do not agree with it entirely. I would prefer the commander to stay with the ship he was trained on, regardless if the ship moves down or up in tier level. But that is just me, and I'll happily be an outcast on the matter. Come another line split in the future, and I'll likely voice my opinion on how commanders are done once more.

And who knows, my opinion on this matter may change when the split does occur.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

Progress report.

Phoenix hull and gun modules ground out. Range module pending.

Nine days premium time left.

Goal by the end of those nine days: Omaha. (Playing time per night is limited, so this is a carefully paced goal that should be easy to achieve.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
56 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Progress report.

Phoenix hull and gun modules ground out. Range module pending.

Nine days premium time left.

Goal by the end of those nine days: Omaha. (Playing time per night is limited, so this is a carefully paced goal that should be easy to achieve.)

Shiny

Members
1,373 posts

I did the grind up to unlocking Des Moines but did not buy it. The others I sold.  I got Atlanta and Indianapolis in Santa crate.  What should I do? I have a ton of free XP and decent amount of credits. If it makes sense I can just play Missouri for a week and buy the whole line again. Any recommendations?

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
On 3/25/2018 at 9:54 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All figures are approximate; precision is not needed here. All figures were pulled from the WOWS wiki as of this morning.

EDIT: And because so many people have commented about how unwise it is to rapid-grind from Tier 3 to Tier 8, be advised that I have already done this the slow way up the British cruiser line (I have the Edinburgh in port). Yes, I know the smoke-and-AP-only meta beginning at Tier 4 makes the British cruisers a different kettle of fish. But I am not a complete stranger to higher-tier cruiser play.

ASSUMPTIONS:

1) The US Cruiser Line Split will not be happening until at least 0.7.4 and possibly even 0.7.5 - maybe later. That is, we have at least a month to go and quite probably two, and we will know at least a week ahead of time when it's going to drop.

2) That when the split happens, anyone who had the T6 Cleveland in port with a qualified captain will wake up to find a T8 Cleveland with a new 8-point captain, and a T6 heavy cruiser with the Cleveland's captain shifted into her and retrained to the heavy.

3) That XP research and hull costs for the two lines will not radically diverge (I have looked at the Russian and Japanese destroyer lines at multiple tiers, and these appear to be within 5K XP of each other, so this is a reasonable assumption).

NUMBERS:

I am currently in the St Louis, with about 1000 XP under my belt. Getting into the Phoenix will cost me another 6K, the Omaha 17,500K, and the Cleveland another 36.5K beyond that - i.e. to FXP to the Cleveland RIGHT NOW would cost me 60,000 free XP (add another few thousand to all this if you are starting right from the bottom and haven't even got the Chester yet).

If I do absolutely nothing but sit on my hands and wait until AFTER the line split, I would still have to spend/grind 60K to get to Tier VI, but then I would have to spend or grind ANOTHER 180,000 XP to work my way up to Tier VIII, based on the current cost for the American Tier VIII cruiser, and I would also have to dump an existing ship or buy a port slot. Worse, if I lacked the FXP to jump to the New Cleveland (which I do), I would also have to buy the Tier VI and Tier VII hulls, with all the silver cost that entailed. If my assumptions are borne out, I will at worst have to buy the Phoenix, Omaha and current-Cleveland, which I would have had to do anyway. The current Tier VIII ship costs significantly more than this (nearly 9 million silver).

Of course I could just Free XP to the Cleveland and save myself the silver costs of the Tier IV and V cruiser hulls, but I think working my way up will be the more appropriate thing to do. It's not as if it's actually happening tomorrow, after all.

HOW I INTEND TO PROCEED (based on the assumptions and figures above): 

60,000 Free XP is the absolute maximum I will have to spend (of the 85,000 I currently possess), and it will give me gains which, if I sat on my hands, would afterwards cost a person who had it about 240,000 Free XP to attain (if they are starting from the bottom). 

Every game I play in US cruisers eats away at this maximum cost. I have plenty of time in which to work at it, and I know I will get at least one patch worth of warning. It's not like hardly anyone is talking about this.

If a firm date is announced for the split, I will wait until a couple of days before. If I do not yet have the Cleveland by grinding, I will then Free XP the rest of the way and drop a one-point commander into her. If there is any uncertainty as to the precise date, I can always commit at a slightly earlier time.

I would be grateful for anyone who would private message me the day before to remind me IT'S COMING! THE SPLIT IS COMING! FOR CHRIST'S SAKE FREE XP THE CLEVELAND NOW!!

CONCLUSION:

So... 60,000 Free XP (and falling) plus hull costs to Tier VI, in exchange for a Tier VI and Tier VIII cruiser, a qualified eight-point captain, and a port slot. Seems a fair spend to me, yes? 

I am retired so how I play and the quantity of games is large. Took one days worth of grinding from tier 1 to 6 in the USN cruiser line 12 hours  worth.

The next day I did nothing but the Operations and now the Cleveland is fully upgraded with a lvl 10 captain.

I plan on grinding this line as long as I can to get as many USN ships in the line. Maybe to the Baltimore. 

I don't use FXP to do this. 

I suggest you don't either.

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
3 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I did the grind up to unlocking Des Moines but did not buy it. The others I sold.  I got Atlanta and Indianapolis in Santa crate.  What should I do? I have a ton of free XP and decent amount of credits. If it makes sense I can just play Missouri for a week and buy the whole line again. Any recommendations?

If a week of Missouri play will get you the whole line again, I would wait until the official WG announcement on how the split will be compensated. You should have a week or two (or more) to buy back the ships you feel it is worth buying back for captains, silver and/or perma-camo. Based on what happens with testing, you might want to keep some of the down tiered ships as well. I would wait in your case as most of us are guessing what will happen based on past splits. Wouldn't hurt to throw in a MO game now and again to bank up that silver tho. I unlocked the DM, but just can't seem to get to $20M silver without spending it on something first. :)

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
6 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I am retired so how I play and the quantity of games is large. Took one days worth of grinding from tier 1 to 6 in the USN cruiser line 12 hours  worth.

The next day I did nothing but the Operations and now the Cleveland is fully upgraded with a lvl 10 captain.

I plan on grinding this line as long as I can to get as many USN ships in the line. Maybe to the Baltimore. 

I don't use FXP to do this. 

I suggest you don't either.

Point definitely taken. Unfortunately I don't have the sort of time at my disposal as you do, but I am doing my utmost.

I intend to use the absolute minimum of free XP necessary; right now that's probably a little bit north of 40K allowing for any Omaha hulls I have to grind to get to Cleveland.

Depending on when the split happens and how much time I have left to grind, I hope to use none at all. But if I have to go down that road, the gains should be worth it. And they will grow more and more worth it each day (EDIT: as the potential amount of free XP I have to spend for the same gains continues to drop).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

I think you stated that you don’t pay money for the game or buy premium time.  I don’t know if you are using economic flags or not from receiving them while earning them. But if you are not and don’t have any, the +50% xp flags and Camo really help a grind a lot.  You can buy a set of 100 economic flags for $15 in the premium shop. (Get you started on that slippery slope)

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
44 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

But if you are not and don’t have any, the +50% xp flags and Camo really help a grind a lot.

If I recall correctly, the XP rewards are higher at Tier 5 than Tier 4 (in part because you are facing Tier 6 and 7 ships, I think), so I will be saving my flags and camo for when I get into the Omaha. That way it will also benefit any missions, challenges, etc., that Wargaming has running, which Tier 4 play does not (and that will in turn win me more consumables, flags and so on).

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

Aaaaaand the fates just tossed me an unsolicited Supercontainer this evening (I did not push TYL) with another seven days of premium time to tack onto the end of the 14 I won last weekend. Someone or something out there must REALLY want me to have a good grind up to the Cleveland.

(If they keep coming at this rate, I'm bound to end up with a ship soon. I live in hope.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

Update - Almost certain to be out of the Phoenix by the time Christ is out of the grave. Less than 6K XP to go, and one good win will clean up a third of that immediately.

(The temptation to FXP this and just get into the Omaha right away was huge, but it's nearly 34% of the Phoenix's total XP and that just isn't right.)

Then roughly another 46K (including Omaha hull research costs) to get into the Cleveland. So... 52K all up.

On a three-week cycle, I have 19 days before the next patch drops. That requires 2750XP a day in the worst case scenario that the split drops in 0.7.4. 

If it drops in 0.7.5, that stretches out to forty days and a trivial 1300XP a day. Of course if I go on grinding out about 3000 Omaha XP a day until 0.7.5, that would have me enough XP by the split to research the Dallas as well (I assume that the split will generate a port slot for the Nerfacola to drop into). The only question will be which ship I toss out of the carousel in order to buy the Cleveland and still have the Omaha in port. Probably the Bogatyr, sadly; I still want a German cruiser to put my free German 10-point captain on, so my Tier III Kraut-Kreuzer has to stay.

The best thing is that with the Space Battles thing running, I can put my AMERICAN ten point captain into the Omaha at once to give her the best fighting chance (man, did I ever win him at the right time!!) and retrain him with elite captain XP immediately. And in the meantime I can grind out MORE elite captain XP to retrain him when he gets into the Cleveland. Yay, Space Battles!  PT, LS, DE, CE? Or should I put IFHE in the four-point slot?

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,660 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Update - Almost certain to be out of the Phoenix by the time Christ is out of the grave. Less than 6K XP to go, and one good win will clean up a third of that immediately.

(The temptation to FXP this and just get into the Omaha right away was huge, but it's nearly 34% of the Phoenix's total XP and that just isn't right.)

Then roughly another 46K (including Omaha hull research costs) to get into the Cleveland. So... 52K all up.

On a three-week cycle, I have 19 days before the next patch drops. That requires 2750XP a day in the worst case scenario that the split drops in 0.7.4. 

If it drops in 0.7.5, that stretches out to forty days and a trivial 1300XP a day. Of course if I go on grinding out about 3000 Omaha XP a day until 0.7.5, that would have me enough XP by the split to research the Dallas as well (I assume that the split will generate a port slot for the Nerfacola to drop into). The only question will be which ship I toss out of the carousel in order to buy the Cleveland and still have the Omaha in port. Probably the Bogatyr, sadly; I still want a German cruiser to put my free German 10-point captain on, so my Tier III Kraut-Kreuzer has to stay.

The best thing is that with the Space Battles thing running, I can put my AMERICAN ten point captain into the Omaha at once to give her the best fighting chance (man, did I ever win him at the right time!!) and retrain him with elite captain XP immediately. And in the meantime I can grind out MORE elite captain XP to retrain him when he gets into the Cleveland. Yay, Space Battles!  PT, LS, DE, CE? Or should I put IFHE in the four-point slot?

Take CE, over IFHE. Plus LS will become a redundant skill. I have actually never used LS on any USN cruiser. They don't
get there engines or steering gears knocked out. They are pretty strong in that regard. 

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

What would you advise in its place? Adrenaline Rush, perhaps, given that they cannot heal?

(My experience with all cruisers so far has been so dismal as regards steering or engines getting shot out at regular intervals that I would rather keep LS for now; it gives me a trump card against two particularly annoying forms of disablement, and I can always change it over at the next free re-skill.)

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,660 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What would you advise in its place? Adrenaline Rush, perhaps, given that they cannot heal?

(My experience with all cruisers so far has been so dismal as regards steering or engines getting shot out at regular intervals that I would rather keep LS for now; it gives me a trump card against two particularly annoying forms of disablement, and I can always change it over at the next free re-skill.)

Yeah AR, since you most likely wont stay at full HP for long :Smile_teethhappy:  

( Experience is an amazing thing. Only cruiser line I don't take LS on is USN ) Who knows with new split, it maybe needed ?  

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles
7 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Yeah AR, since you most likely wont stay at full HP for long :Smile_teethhappy:  

( Experience is an amazing thing. Only cruiser line I don't take LS on is USN ) Who knows with new split, it maybe needed ?  

If the Buffalo is anything like the monster people are promising (12 x 8 inch), and with the Cleveland seeing it on a regular basis, I'd say keeping Last Stand for now is a wise thing as far as I am concerned.

It'll be an interesting thing to see whether Buffalo has the potential to edge out Des Moines on a shells-per-salvo basis, the same way some people are favouring Alsace over Republique. Then again, this might only matter to people who aren't yet that high up the tree, because to those already there, DM is a known quantity and they will not want to trade the familiar for the new, even if the new fires 33% more shells per salvo.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,660 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If the Buffalo is anything like the monster people are promising (12 x 8 inch), and with the Cleveland seeing it on a regular basis, I'd say keeping Last Stand for now is a wise thing as far as I am concerned.

It'll be an interesting thing to see whether Buffalo has the potential to edge out Des Moines on a shells-per-salvo basis, the same way some people are favouring Alsace over Republique. Then again, this might only matter to people who aren't yet that high up the tree, because to those already there, DM is a known quantity and they will not want to trade the familiar for the new, even if the new fires 33% more shells per salvo.

Yeap I agree with you on LS. I may need to re config for that myself . Well see. Im actually looking forward to the Buffalo, seeing as Im at Baltimore
and enjoy playing it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

Update: Omaha achieved!

Just 45,500 XP to go, minus the couple thousand I've picked up already, and every XP and damage point I earn from now on counts towards missions, tasks, challenges etc. Excellent.

Thanks are due to my O.H., who let me spend the afternoon grinding the rest of my way through the Phoenix (with a few space battles on the side for Elite Captain XP).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
18,195 posts
12,658 battles

AND IT IS DONE.

Cleveland unlocked.

The hull upgrades etc. have not been completed yet - don't know if this makes a difference, but the ship is PURCHASED and IN PORT with a one point captain in her as a placeholder.

Next conundrum: Do I free XP the Pensacola? There is no way in hell I have enough time or energy for an 80,000 XP grind, but I have just enough free XP and change to get it done if the final notes on the split make it worthwhile.

For now I am content to have the Cleveland shift to T8 and the Pensa if (on previous experience) she drops into my lap when the split happens. I have thus far retained the Omaha in case I want to grind the Dallas when she appears, but that is in the non-urgent basket.

Next item on the agenda: grind the hell out of space battles and farm as much Elite Captain XP as possible before they go away. Depending of course on what else WG dangles in front of us... 

[TDG]
Members
1,784 posts
11,568 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

AND IT IS DONE.

Cleveland unlocked.

The hull upgrades etc. have not been completed yet - don't know if this makes a difference, but the ship is PURCHASED and IN PORT with a one point captain in her as a placeholder.

Next conundrum: Do I free XP the Pensacola? There is no way in hell I have enough time or energy for an 80,000 XP grind, but I have just enough free XP and change to get it done if the final notes on the split make it worthwhile.

For now I am content to have the Cleveland shift to T8 and the Pensa if (on previous experience) she drops into my lap when the split happens. I have thus far retained the Omaha in case I want to grind the Dallas when she appears, but that is in the non-urgent basket.

Next item on the agenda: grind the hell out of space battles and farm as much Elite Captain XP as possible before they go away. Depending of course on what else WG dangles in front of us... 

Congratulations!

I think you are good for the best bang-for-the-buck.

Since I was already on Pensacola when the split was announced, I figured to push further.

The only thing I would do if you have the doubloons, is to buy the permanent camouflage for Cleveland.  This should result in a free Tier 8 permanent camouflage on Cleveland after the split (saving 2000 doubloons) and a permanent camouflage on the replacement Tier 6.  I'm not buying anything for the CAs as their camouflage should get cheaper.  Also, I may not play a ship enough to justify a permanent camouflage.

I would not Free XP anything unless the payoff is significant, and you should have time to make last minute adjustments once the plan and the patch are announced.

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,660 battles
On 3/27/2018 at 8:25 AM, Counter_Gambit said:

Yes, I do see the benefit of the commander staying at tier, when the old ship moves down a tier. But I do not agree with it entirely. I would prefer the commander to stay with the ship he was trained on, regardless if the ship moves down or up in tier level. But that is just me, and I'll happily be an outcast on the matter. Come another line split in the future, and I'll likely voice my opinion on how commanders are done once more.

And who knows, my opinion on this matter may change when the split does occur.

Ships will go back to there stock configuration when split happens. 

[PVE]
Members
19,835 posts
11,995 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

AND IT IS DONE.

Cleveland unlocked.

First thing, congratulations. That's some hard grinding.

Second, I would grind towards P'cola, and up, as much as you feel comfortable with. Don't drive yourself crazy, but you still have time as we mostly think that the split happens in 7.5 at the earliest. I would not FXP anything higher until the official split compensation is announced. Then, IF YOU feel it is worth FXP for what you get, then do any FXP you want right before the split. 

Third, if you can swing the $5.54 or so it costs, get the Cleveland permanent camo before the split. I expect that what @YeOldeTraveller laid out for permanent camo to happen for Cleveland and the replacement T6. You would basically get a free T8 camo (3k doubloons) and for the 1k T6 permanent camo that would go to the replacement T6. All that permanent camo would have +50% XP and -10% service cost that stacks with flag and clan bonuses. Very nice for your new T8 Cleveland after the split.

Fourth, profit?   :) :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
775 posts
5,132 battles

Congrats on getting Cleveland unlocked

You might want to wait to see if the permanent camo goes on sale for 40% discount in April.   

The April mission calendar says a 40% credit and doubloon discount sale but I don’t know if that covers permanent camo also.

You can also use scenarios to grind Cleveland as well.   You can score some 10 point captains for 4-staring certain scenarios if you haven’t earned them yet. And 24 hours of premium for 5 stars