You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

US Cruiser Split: Something worth Free XP-ing for?

82 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
10,294 posts
6,746 battles

All figures are approximate; precision is not needed here. All figures were pulled from the WOWS wiki as of this morning.

EDIT: And because so many people have commented about how unwise it is to rapid-grind from Tier 3 to Tier 8, be advised that I have already done this the slow way up the British cruiser line (I have the Edinburgh in port). Yes, I know the smoke-and-AP-only meta beginning at Tier 4 makes the British cruisers a different kettle of fish. But I am not a complete stranger to higher-tier cruiser play.

ASSUMPTIONS:

1) The US Cruiser Line Split will not be happening until at least 0.7.4 and possibly even 0.7.5 - maybe later. That is, we have at least a month to go and quite probably two, and we will know at least a week ahead of time when it's going to drop.

2) That when the split happens, anyone who had the T6 Cleveland in port with a qualified captain will wake up to find a T8 Cleveland with a new 8-point captain, and a T6 heavy cruiser with the Cleveland's captain shifted into her and retrained to the heavy.

3) That XP research and hull costs for the two lines will not radically diverge (I have looked at the Russian and Japanese destroyer lines at multiple tiers, and these appear to be within 5K XP of each other, so this is a reasonable assumption).

NUMBERS:

I am currently in the St Louis, with about 1000 XP under my belt. Getting into the Phoenix will cost me another 6K, the Omaha 17,500K, and the Cleveland another 36.5K beyond that - i.e. to FXP to the Cleveland RIGHT NOW would cost me 60,000 free XP (add another few thousand to all this if you are starting right from the bottom and haven't even got the Chester yet).

If I do absolutely nothing but sit on my hands and wait until AFTER the line split, I would still have to spend/grind 60K to get to Tier VI, but then I would have to spend or grind ANOTHER 180,000 XP to work my way up to Tier VIII, based on the current cost for the American Tier VIII cruiser, and I would also have to dump an existing ship or buy a port slot. Worse, if I lacked the FXP to jump to the New Cleveland (which I do), I would also have to buy the Tier VI and Tier VII hulls, with all the silver cost that entailed. If my assumptions are borne out, I will at worst have to buy the Phoenix, Omaha and current-Cleveland, which I would have had to do anyway. The current Tier VIII ship costs significantly more than this (nearly 9 million silver).

Of course I could just Free XP to the Cleveland and save myself the silver costs of the Tier IV and V cruiser hulls, but I think working my way up will be the more appropriate thing to do. It's not as if it's actually happening tomorrow, after all.

HOW I INTEND TO PROCEED (based on the assumptions and figures above): 

60,000 Free XP is the absolute maximum I will have to spend (of the 85,000 I currently possess), and it will give me gains which, if I sat on my hands, would afterwards cost a person who had it about 240,000 Free XP to attain (if they are starting from the bottom). 

Every game I play in US cruisers eats away at this maximum cost. I have plenty of time in which to work at it, and I know I will get at least one patch worth of warning. It's not like hardly anyone is talking about this.

If a firm date is announced for the split, I will wait until a couple of days before. If I do not yet have the Cleveland by grinding, I will then Free XP the rest of the way and drop a one-point commander into her. If there is any uncertainty as to the precise date, I can always commit at a slightly earlier time.

I would be grateful for anyone who would private message me the day before to remind me IT'S COMING! THE SPLIT IS COMING! FOR CHRIST'S SAKE FREE XP THE CLEVELAND NOW!!

CONCLUSION:

So... 60,000 Free XP (and falling) plus hull costs to Tier VI, in exchange for a Tier VI and Tier VIII cruiser, a qualified eight-point captain, and a port slot. Seems a fair spend to me, yes? 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,899 battles

Save your FXP and grind your tail off. Then before the split use your FXP if you need to. The grind to Cleveland should go pretty quick. Prem time or getting some XP flags should help.

[WORX]
Members
3,362 posts
14,753 battles

IMO, Free XPing to the De Moines is really worth it. She is a great ship to play. However, I do recommend grinding from the Cleveland on up to gain experience on how to master the American CL line. But after reading this

8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am currently in the St Louis, with about 1000 XP under my belt. Getting into the Phoenix will cost me another 6K, the Omaha 17,500K, and the Cleveland another 36.5K beyond that - i.e. to FXP to the Cleveland RIGHT NOW would cost me 60,000 free XP (add another few thousand to all this if you are starting right from the bottom and haven't even got the Chester yet).

I dont recommend for you to Free XP up, its not worth it. Now if you were in a better position and you had about 800k for Free XP grinding the cleveland. Then I would say yes use your free XP. Take my advice save your XP just grind and master the line. CHeers!

[ARGSY]
Members
10,294 posts
6,746 battles
2 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Save your FXP and grind your tail off. Then before the split use your FXP if you need to. The grind to Cleveland should go pretty quick. Prem time or getting some XP flags should help.

See "How I intend to proceed", where I have stated just as much in italics. I currently have about ten days of premium time but only a couple of hours a night at most, so I will do my best. I also have lots of French XP camo and a handful of flags that I will gamble when I'm up in the Omaha and the XP payouts per game (win or lose) get a bit bigger.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,899 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

See "How I intend to proceed", where I have stated just as much in italics. I currently have about ten days of premium time but only a couple of hours a night at most, so I will do my best. I also have lots of French XP camo and a handful of flags that I will gamble when I'm up in the Omaha and the XP payouts per game (win or lose) get a bit bigger.

So Prem, flags and 2 hours a night or 5 battles a day. 2000XP per battle should be easily doable with percs. I think you got plenty of time to just grind your way to Cleveland then free XP up from there.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,899 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All figures are approximate; precision is not needed here. All figures were pulled from the WOWS wiki as of this morning.

ASSUMPTIONS:

1) The US Cruiser Line Split will not be happening until at least 0.7.4 and possibly even 0.7.5 - maybe later. That is, we have at least a month to go and quite probably two, and we will know at least a week ahead of time when it's going to drop.

2) That when the split happens, anyone who had the T6 Cleveland in port with a qualified captain will wake up to find a T8 Cleveland with a new 8-point captain, and a T6 heavy cruiser with the Cleveland's captain shifted into her and retrained to the heavy.

3) That XP research and hull costs for the two lines will not radically diverge (I have looked at the Russian and Japanese destroyer lines at multiple tiers, and these appear to be within 5K XP of each other, so this is a reasonable assumption).

NUMBERS:

If I do absolutely nothing but sit on my hands and wait until AFTER the line split, I would still have to spend/grind 60K to get to Tier VI, but then I would have to spend or grind ANOTHER 180,000 XP to work my way up to Tier VIII, based on the current cost for the American Tier VIII cruiser, and I would also have to dump an existing ship or buy a port slot. Worse, if I lacked the FXP to jump to the New Cleveland (which I do), I would also have to buy the Tier VI and Tier VII hulls, with all the silver cost that entailed. If my assumptions are borne out, I will at worst have to buy the Phoenix, Omaha and current-Cleveland, which I would have had to do anyway. The current Tier VIII ship costs significantly more than this (nearly 9 million silver).

Of course I could just Free XP to the Cleveland and save myself the silver costs of the Tier IV and V cruiser hulls, but I think working my way up will be the more appropriate thing to do. It's not as if it's actually happening tomorrow, after all.

HOW I INTEND TO PROCEED (based on the assumptions and figures above): 

60,000 Free XP is the absolute maximum I will have to spend (of the 85,000 I currently possess), and it will give me gains which, if I sat on my hands, would afterwards cost a person who had it about 240,000 Free XP to attain (if they are starting from the bottom). 

Every game I play in US cruisers eats away at this maximum cost. I have plenty of time in which to work at it, and I know I will get at least one patch worth of warning. It's not like hardly anyone is talking about this.

If a firm date is announced for the split, I will wait until a couple of days before. If I do not yet have the Cleveland by grinding, I will then Free XP the rest of the way and drop a one-point commander into her. If there is any uncertainty as to the precise date, I can always commit at a slightly earlier time.

I would be grateful for anyone who would private message me the day before to remind me IT'S COMING! THE SPLIT IS COMING! FOR CHRIST'S SAKE FREE XP THE CLEVELAND NOW!!

CONCLUSION:

So... 60,000 Free XP (and falling) plus hull costs to Tier VI, in exchange for a Tier VI and Tier VIII cruiser, a qualified eight-point captain, and a port slot. Seems a fair spend to me, yes? 

Also if you wanna Div while you grind let me know I have high win rate ships in all those tiers and love helping guys out. I could help you walk away with more XP per battle.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

It doesn't take long at all to go from St Loius to Cleveland...if you can put in a week to 10 days of 1-2 hours a day, you will easily reach the Cleveland (assuming a premium account). 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
7,429 posts
13,599 battles

If you have all of the ships in the line you should get all of the new ships when the split occurs.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

54 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You plan on grinding as much as you can and I advise the same. When the split was announched in Dec, I had just got Pensacola. I ground like crazy in PvP with premium account and in a month or two, I had reached Baltimore, which is as high as you need go for this split. 

17 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Just grind as far up the line as you can, don't waste the fxp.

I would save the FXP until right before the split, and if the compensation package is good enough, FXP as high as you feel is worth it then.

[4HIM]
Members
2,224 posts
6,552 battles

Yeah, the grind to up the Beaver isn't too bad.  And the Cleveland is actually a pretty good ship.  I like it better than the Pepsi.  Pepsi isn't much better, but regularly faces much stiffer competition.  I mostly just play the Pepsi in Ops, as in PvP it's just an XP piñata for the reds.  I do play it in random from time to time, but whenever a red sees a Pepsi it's just "Hey everyone!  Free XP!  COME AND GET IT!"  I may FXP up to the Baltimore before the split, I don't know.  But wait until right before the split to FXP up.  

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,652 battles

Wait... my commander on Cleveland won't stay with the Cleveland after she is moved up to t8? So me building my commander for the Cleveland, would require me to then retrain that same commander to be used on the ship he was speced for?

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
5 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Wait... my commander on Cleveland won't stay with the Cleveland after she is moved up to t8? So me building my commander for the Cleveland, would require me to then retrain that same commander to be used on the ship he was speced for?

If you do not take steps, yes the current Cleveland commander will be trained on the T6 replacement for the Cleveland. There is an easy fix tho.

Step one, right before the split, put the current Cleveland commander into the reserve.

Step two, recruit a temp 0pt captain to sit in the Cleveland for the split, so that the system doesn't grab your commander from the reserve.

Step three, after the split, dismiss the 0pt commander(s) and put your commander(s) from the reserve where the old ship landed. This will happen for each ship affected by the split, so you may want to protect a P'cola, NO and/or Balti commander the same way.

Personally, I'm protecting my Cleveland commander this way, but I will leave my Baltimore cmdr alone to be retrained for the Buffalo. I'm not sure what I willl do with the P'cola or NO cmdrs yet as I will wait to see the official split captain package.

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,652 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

If you do not take steps, yes the current Cleveland commander will be trained on the T6 replacement for the Cleveland. There is an easy fix tho.

Step one, right before the split, put the current Cleveland commander into the reserve.

Step two, recruit a temp 0pt captain to sit in the Cleveland for the split, so that the system doesn't grab your commander from the reserve.

Step three, after the split, dismiss the 0pt commander(s) and put your commander(s) from the reserve where the old ship landed. This will happen for each ship affected by the split, so you may want to protect a P'cola, NO and/or Balti commander the same way.

Personally, I'm protecting my Cleveland commander this way, but I will leave my Baltimore cmdr alone to be retrained for the Buffalo. I'm not sure what I willl do with the P'cola or NO cmdrs yet as I will wait to see the official split captain package.

Well, in my opinion, it's stupid that, that is how it is going to happen. So thank you for providing me this information concerning how to prevent this.

I only have the Cleveland at the moment, so no worries from me about future ships, especially since the commander on the Cleveland is staying there forever, so I'll have to train a new commander for those later ships anyway.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
27 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Well, in my opinion, it's stupid that, that is how it is going to happen. So thank you for providing me this information concerning how to prevent this.

I only have the Cleveland at the moment, so no worries from me about future ships, especially since the commander on the Cleveland is staying there forever, so I'll have to train a new commander for those later ships anyway.

You are welcome.

I think you still have time to grind the US line. I guessing patch 7.5 (Mayish) is the earliest that they will do the split.

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,652 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

You are welcome.

I think you still have time to grind the US line. I guessing patch 7.5 (Mayish) is the earliest that they will do the split.

That's my guess too, but I don't see myself getting past t7 in the line by that time. I don't play all that often, and my main focus is on Destroyers. The only reason I started down a cruiser line is because of the need to play other ship types to better my overall skill. After I reach tier 8, both tier 8s if it occurs after the split, then I'll start down a battleship line. Tier 8 of the battleships, then MAYBE give aircraft carriers a try again, I doubt I'll ever do carriers again but there is a chance.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,228 posts
14,211 battles

1 Recommed getting Omaha fully elite with spare 37,500 exp on her. This will let you unlock Dallas on alternate line.

Buy  Cleveland and grind as many modules as possible.

You will end up, at split, with a tier 6 Pensacola, a tier 8 Cleveland and ability to unlock Dallas.

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

I wouldn't recommend it. Thus far everything looks fairly bottom of the barrel. 

[YEETS]
Beta Testers
222 posts
3,855 battles

To the Op, I can only say you don't want to do this.  Normally jumping from tier 3 to tier 8 game play is a terrible idea, throwing in that these new cruisers aren't exactly impressive at the moment makes it an even worse idea.

Let's put it this way, I did something similar with the Russian destroyer split and used enough free xp to ensure I'd get both tier 8s.  Think I've used one of them maybe three times since that split, there just weren't enough skilled captains to spare and I lacked the experience to play those ships at that tier.  I could probably get into them now, but still don't feel eager to try again yet.

It might sound appealing to jump up so high while saving XP and credits, but trust me when I say you'll regret it in the long run.  Grinding up the line as far as you can beforehand is your best bet.  We'll get a far better idea of what the split will entail once WG makes the official announcement on how it'll be done and you'll be more experienced on the line too.  The split probably won't drop until 7.4 or 7.5, so that'll give you plenty of time to grind up a fair bit.

Additionally, the released specs on all the changed and new ships aren't exactly anything to be drooling over.  The USN cruiser line's not exactly leading the performance charts right now, with most except Cleveland and Des Moines being all but bottom feeders.  Baltimore's not hurting too much now either.  That being said, what we've been shown of the retiered ships and new ones doesn't show things getting much better at the moment.  The light cruisers are using the same rainbow arc guns currently mounted on Cleveland, so good luck hitting much past about 12 KM.  The heavy cruisers are currently getting mauled with nerfs and will be hurting once launched.  This may change between now and then, but WG has a history of sticking with their plans despite player experience saying otherwise.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,528 posts

On top of all this... the gatekeeper (New Orleans) of Baltimore can be a real tough nut to crack... it's a somewhat lengthy grind to reach the Baltimore and have all bases covered. Sumthin to think about... 

As others have said too.. if the line doesn't improve prior to the drop, you may want to save fXP for something else... 

1 hour ago, Wardog_Noir said:

The heavy cruisers are currently getting mauled with nerfs and will be hurting once launched.  This may change between now and then, but WG has a history of sticking with their plans despite player experience saying otherwise.

In other words, they don't want the USN to be strong, let alone stronk? Kinda sad if it's true.

In general, I suspect it would make sense to yank all USN commanders from their ships when the split is announced? 

[BNKR]
Members
1,180 posts
1,105 battles

I wouldn't spend free XP on the US cruiser line unless we see some buffed stats. What's been released so far looks very "meh". I ran some economic flags, camo, and premium time to smash out the Cleveland grind, but I'm not inclined to push any further at the moment.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IT'S COMING! THE SPLIT IS COMING! FOR CHRIST'S SAKE FREE XP THE CLEVELAND NOW!!

This.^

Once you get into Cleveland, you become eligible for Scenarios, where there is much XP to be obtained.

Then you can spend your effort working up to Pensacola (soon to be New Orleans) and enjoying the Beaver while we have him.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles
24 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

In general, I suspect it would make sense to yank all USN commanders from their ships when the split is announced? 

I would say yes, but there is retraining cost to consider.  And would e.g. a Cleveland with a 1 pt. captain still generate a Columbia with an 8 pt. captain?

We'll have to look at the details before the drop.

For now I'm doing nothing, just feeding the mis-spec'd now-14 pt. captain on Pensacola in Scenarios. (C'mon free re-spec!)

[Y0L0]
Members
9,571 posts
11,970 battles

if you are planning on grinding for the split,  at least get to New Orleans.   you will receive all the benefit  if you have  cleveland and NO in port.    that will get you the T6, pcola, t7NO, t8 baltimore plus  t8cleveland  after the split. 

[WOLF6]
Members
766 posts
4,872 battles

When you get to Cleveland, you can grind the Cleveland in operations.   She’s ok stock running in operations,   Saves you from running stock in randoms or spending free xp to upgrade her.

if you run dragon and economic flags with xp Camo and premium time, you can get 7-9,000 xp per game in operations.