You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FayFay731

Do You Use Smoke or Radar on Minotaur?

Minotaur's Special Third Consumable  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use radar or smoke on the Minotaur?

16 comments in this topic

[SCCC]
Members
1,137 posts
7,629 battles

I'm collecting data for the Minotaur and only the Minotaur. If have other RN CLs, great, but this poll is for  Minotaur players' votes only please. Please keep the topic civil, there is no "better" consumable (I don't want to see discrimination against either smoke or radar users). All I'm doing is collecting data for the present, note this poll also refers to random battles and random battles only please. Playing 1 game in either smoke or radar and voting for that 1 game you played isn't accurate, I'm talking about playing at least 50% of your games using 1 specific consumable. If you use Minotaur in CB that's cool, but the only real reason is really for the radar. If you could explain when and why you use either consumable that would be great (optional).

Personally I use the radar because it has larger influence on the game usually leading to a higher win rate, but yields less damage potential. I play Minotaur as a kiting ship when I can (early game) and I camp behind islands whenever I can to help out with radar. The Minotaur has been the first RN CL I have used radar on because of its manoeuvrability and stealth. You can still manage to deal decent damage with a radar Minotaur, but I have to warn you, it's literally one of the hardest ships to play in the game. If you can make it work, then it is extremely rewarding and well worth playing without the smoke. 

If I bonked up the poll please let me know, I haven't posted polls in a while.

Spoiler

Radar is also good for your health, smoke does things to people :cap_like:

Edited by FayFay731
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
1,137 posts
7,629 battles

Yes I know about this: 

If you have changed after this post then feel free to vote on recent consumable usage (forget about the 50% of games because that is hard to change). It's just that recently I've played a lot of Minotaur and with CB heating up, Minotaur practising has become more prevalent. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,297 posts
11,826 battles

My personal experience is that smoke is better in randoms but that radar is the choice for things like Clan Wars but as always YMMV.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,297 posts
11,826 battles
13 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

save your self alot of pain and sell this boat

It can be a tough ship to perform in but then so are many others in the game but when she performs she performs.

6hMI8Ic.jpg

• Cool 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,089 battles
  •  
  • Alpha Tester
    • In AlfaTesters
  • 10,181 posts
  • 6,806 battles
  • PCNA016.pngPCNB021.png
21 minutes ago, StingRayOne said:

save your self alot of pain and sell this boat

It can be a tough ship to perform in but then so are many others in the game but when she performs she performs.

judging by the damage you did well, but you have to minus the flags and premium if you have it to get to the meat.

the average on the ship is alot lower compared to some lower tiers at least in my estimation. I have the boat.

Its too unsafe in ranks compared to the Hindenburg or the Des Moines.

in Random overall the ship is a coin slot

judgeing by the damage,

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
860 posts
8,073 battles

Radar. Div with a gearing for smoke. 

Tbh even solo good players position themselves so they can fire with out smoke. 

Being able to delete DDs for your team sets the agenda early.

• Cool 1

Members
4,108 posts
15,170 battles

I just got Minotaur late last night and have been test driving her in Co-Op. I've been wondering whether to use radar or smoke and I might just go with radar. I used radar on Neptune (with the radar mod) and did pretty good plus I learned a while back that smoke in high tiers is a invitation to have a torpedo wall sent your way. And with all the radar botes at high tiers just as often as not you're going to get lit up. However, smoke has advantages. On Fiji and Belfast I use it to break LoS when getting focused on and for concealment until I can get moving again when I stoopidly run aground.

[STURM]
Alpha Tester
2,215 posts
14,051 battles

Mino is my favorite ship, and i always run radar, div or no div.

I played edin, neptune and mino with entirely radar, Win rates speak for themselves i think, 68% on the din 54% on the neptune, 67% with the mino, compared to 49% with the fiji and leander, for me.

Also a 46% survival rate with the radar mino, so i don't think its difficult or anything.

[WOLFA]
Members
175 posts
8,452 battles

Radar, because in T10 two puffs of smoke are magnets for 15 torpedos coming from a Shimmy salvo. Not to mention that since every other cruiser now has radar that makes your two puffs of smoke ineffective, why wouldn't you also get radar?

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,850 battles

SMOKE in Randoms.  Radar in Ranked. 

Tried to still go radar after ranked but, just couldnt count on enough team work to make it a feasible chose with my playstyle.  Now I have the legendary smoke, so I partner with the nearest Radar CA and let them know  I will smoke for them this way I get the best of both.   

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,237 posts
19,617 battles

I've done Radar Edinburgh and that was a scary style of play already.  Considering how squishy Minotaur is, I dare not do Radar build on her.

However, I have seen or have divisioned with people that do Radar Minotaur and are successful.  It's not expected as almost everyone takes Smoke.  Radar Minotaur also has a large gap from her stealth build detection range and her radar range.  Basically if you are sailing along in a DD and spot a Minotaur (you can't tell just by looking if it's Radar Build at first glance), if it's a Radar Mino, you're wayyyy tooo deep in her Radar range.  Radar Minos are DD Hunters, and anything that has an impact on the "DD Minigame" of a match has high impact on success.

[WORX]
Members
5,010 posts
15,584 battles

With the changes to BB AP.. Smoke Mino is he wise choice, its still dangerous but of the two options Smoke is better.... You will not live long to use all the radar charges the Mino has...

Edited by Navalpride33

[ARGSY]
Members
12,862 posts
8,222 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 9:35 AM, FayFay731 said:

If I bonked up the poll please let me know, I haven't posted polls in a while.

The poll works, but IMO lacks a third option for no preference/use both equally freely.